Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The first box speaker that will embrace the halls of musical bliss!

Dear Music friends,

i guess it was bound to happen sooner or later. A box speaker snug its way into my listening room and will stay for a while longer. Not to replace the mighty Apogee DIVA Reference but it will stay to be shown and to be enjoyed. I have heard this system at a friends house incl. its larger sibblings and it is the first and only speaker system that i feel is wonderfull enough to be enjoyed by my picky ears

The speakers are from Eggleston Works in the USA and the Model is the Rosa. Its a cute speaker, standing 37"in tall and comming in at 210lbs per speaker. The sides of the Speaker are made from Granite and has a Transmission loaded midrange. Overall a very dynamic, quick and accurate speaker.

The impedance is similar to the Apogees, and it varies very little over the entire range. I think i will try some Reußezahn *German Tube amplifiers with these next and maybe a Jadis Orchestra. The new Michell Gryose Turn Table will be here soon also.

Next steps might also incl. Nordost Flatline cable. Any thoughts on those would be highly appreciated!

More details and pictures later ;-)

(picture by Eggleston Works . Com)
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I have never heard that speaker but I have read some incredible reviews. Let us know what you think of them. Florian with boxes, have I entered a parallel universe?
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Am I on the right site? Where am I? What is my purpose in life? What's going on here?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    I have never heard that speaker but I have read some incredible reviews. Let us know what you think of them. Florian with boxes, have I entered a parallel universe?
    Yes the reviews are incredible, but it is even more incredible in person. I have heard very many speakers over the years and this is the first model that i felt has a justification in the audio world. Its quite room friendly too, which is a big plus for those who cannot place a speaker as large as the Apogee DIVA.

Cheers

Flo

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Am I on the right site? Where am I? What is my purpose in life? What's going on here?
    I guess you are, but where am I?
    Your in the middle of a sunny day!
    Your purpose is to enjoy life with all the pleasures it offers to you.
    I dont know the answere to the last one...

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

Hey Flo

I too have read some reviews highly praising these. Went so far as to look at a pair on A-gon--I guess now I know why shipping was so expensive. 210 lbs? They better be room friendly. Constant tweaking/moving would get old quickly.
    Speaking of moving around, any progress on new living arrangements?

Cheers to granite...
    M
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Say it ain't so Flo!
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    I too have read some reviews highly praising these. Went so far as to look at a pair on A-gon--I guess now I know why shipping was so expensive. 210 lbs? They better be room friendly. Constant tweaking/moving would get old quickly.
    Speaking of moving around, any progress on new living arrangements?

Cheers to granite...
    M
    Yes, they are quite heavy. Not as heavy as my DIVA (close to 300lbs with stands) but still heavy enough to be a pain. I will place them on a moveable like like the Diva. Since the DIVA will remain in the system obviously i will build the room in a way that i can switch between system. My living arangements are still the same, but with a positive look in the future. Since Israel started a war again, and the US plays hardball with Iran and Russia wants to get back to the might, we have a large increase in energy prices here which makes moving out a bit harder. But overall i am still planning it around the end of the year.

I am the first owner of these speakers in German as it seems like, so the used market is not exactly thick. At close to 10000$ a pair they are very pricey, but also play in the Wislon leauge and sound spectacular so far. If they turn out to be all i expect them to be, then i am contemplating of picking them up in my small Studio. Will see what the future holds, but so far the Audio future looks quite good.

Enjoy the music

.Flo

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    Say it ain't so Flo!
    Hehe, well not as my primary listening system. The DIVA will remain my one and only musical bliss. The Eggleston do represent a wonderfull presentation of music esp. in rooms where the DIVA is simply too large. Besides, there is nothing wrong with having more then one women

These speakers are something different then my large main speakers and represent music in a similar, yet different way. I can enjoy both, which i have to admit is a first for me.

-Cheers

Flo

Bob Ludwig of Gateway Mastering uses Eggleston Works speakers in his primary two-channel and multichannel monitoring setups. Ludwig is one of the top mastering engineers in the business, and as well as he handles digital formats, his vinyl cutting skills IMO are about as good as anybody's.

BTW, the cabling he uses in his studio comes from Transparent Audio.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Bob Ludwig of Gateway Mastering uses Eggleston Works speakers in his primary two-channel and multichannel monitoring setups. Ludwig is one of the top mastering engineers in the business, and his vinyl cutting skills IMO are about as good as anybody's.
    Thanks for the info. I love Accuracy and this is the first box speaker that gives me a similar feeling then the Apogee*s in terms of speed, accuracy and resolution. Its not like the Apogee, but like the Apogees it has no downfalls to my ears.

-Flo

Well it finally happened...

Lemme check the floor *reaches down and puts hand on ground*

Yep. It's cold.

Hell finally froze over!

Flo,

Eggleston brough in Albert Von Schweikert to redesign the crossover and tweak the Andra II, a speaker many consider to be one of the best in the world. If you like the Eggleston sound, I have a feeling you'd like the Von Schweikert sound, another transmission line speaker. Unfortunately, they are probably pretty hard to find in Europe still.

ba...da..gah.......duhhhh.......

......*looks of into space with a meaningless expressing on face*

i...i.....YAY!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed

Flo,

Eggleston brough in Albert Von Schweikert to redesign the crossover and tweak the Andra II, a speaker many consider to be one of the best in the world. If you like the Eggleston sound, I have a feeling you'd like the Von Schweikert sound, another transmission line speaker. Unfortunately, they are probably pretty hard to find in Europe still.
    I know VS, since i auditioned some before buying my old Magnepan 3.6 ;-) The choice was between the AndraII and the Rosa, and both my friend and I (who has the Rosa, AndraII and Savoy) feel the AndraII to be unbalanced. Exellent speaker but not really Eggies best. But to each there own ;-) I will listen to the Savoy in the future, who knows it might be a contender for the DIVA. But then again, its 40K

I am off of the site for a couple of months and this is what happens???

Quote Originally Posted by bjornb17
    I am off of the site for a couple of months and this is what happens???
    Maybe to clarify for our members. This new speaker does NOT replace my Apogee DIVA Reference. It is not in the same playing field, but it is very good!

Flo...

Glad to hear that you are broadening your horizons a tad. Just out of curiosity...how big is the room that has your DIVA's and is that the room where you are putting those boxes?

Quote Originally Posted by superpanavision70mm
    Flo...

Glad to hear that you are broadening your horizons a tad. Just out of curiosity...how big is the room that has your DIVA's and is that the room where you are putting those boxes?
    My Horizons are quite big ;-) But it took a 10 Thousand Dollar speaker to find something good from a box ;-) And that is the size, as well as the sound. The room is very small for the DIVA, the DIVA needs at least 160 square feet to sound the way it should. I currently have very little 65 square feet. The DIVA is an entire different animal than this box, and is playing with the 60 Thousand Dollar Eggie.

I was a dealer for VMPS speakers, which where the absolute worst speakers i ever had the displeasure of owning. I heard many designs from Wilson, Kharma, VS (2 models) etc.. and this is the first box that i can find something good enough about it to own it. So i will most likely buy it, and have it as a secondary primary system.

I will buy two 120watt tube monoblocks soon amongst some other things, and once i move out i might open a shop dedicated to high quality hifi. Its like a little plan ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    I know VS, since i auditioned some before buying my old Magnepan 3.6 ;-)
    Congrats on the new acquisition. I have never heard the Eggleston speakers, but have always wanted to. Now I will need to really seek them out at next year's CES. Pretty good value (at least on paper) for $10K/pr IMO.

As an aside... Do you remember which models from VS you auditioned by any chance? I realize it was quite a while ago...

I only ask because VS models really start to take off and sound quite different with their upper-end models. I like the entire line except the VR-4SR ($10K/pr.), but I felt the line really was taken to a new level with the (now just discontinued) 12K/pr. DB99 mkIIs, and of course their top tier models the VR-9 and VR-11 (the latter is my favorite speaker at any price). They also have a new model just released called the VR-5SE that run $20K/pr. The 5s are certainly pricey to be sure, but sound very nice and have the same general presentation of their big brothers in a smaller package.

In any case, sorry for the VS rant, none of them may be your cup of tea... Just mentioning the models do change considerably at the higher end of the line so if you heard a VR-4JR or SR... etc, you may not have heard the line at its absolute best (IMO).

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by drseid
    Congrats on the new acquisition. I have never heard the Eggleston speakers, but have always wanted to. Now I will need to really seek them out at next year's CES. Pretty good value (at least on paper) for $10K/pr IMO.
    Yes, and if you visit Germany let me know before so that we can enjoy good music and beer. So far we have The Apogee DIVA Reference, Apogee DIVA Caliper Signature and the Eggleston Works Rosa here amongst some other toys. So its quite a bit of fun and very musical!

[/quote]
    As an aside... Do you remember which models from VS you auditioned by any chance? I realize it was quite a while ago...
    I am sorry but i do not remember, if i had to guess then it would be something like a 5 or so.
    I only ask because VS models really start to take off and sound quite different with their upper-end models. I like the entire line except the VR-4SR ($10K/pr.), but I felt the line really was taken to a new level with the (now just discontinued) 12K/pr. DB99 mkIIs, and of course their top tier models the VR-9 and VR-11 (the latter is my favorite speaker at any price). They also have a new model just released called the VR-5SE that run $20K/pr. The 5s are certainly pricey to be sure, but sound very nice and have the same general presentation of their big brothers in a smaller package.
    I am sure the top models are very nice and have their fans, as with all top speakers. Unfortunatly i have been subjected to the world elite (which i am sure the 9 and 11 are too) and in this range a lot of things depend on taste and presentation, My absolut top dog fav. are the Apogee DIVA, Fullrange, Grand, Scintilla and Studio Grand. Eggleston Works Ivy and Savoy, Martin Logan Statement E2 (old one), Magnepan MG20.1 (on the bottom ranking but VERY good), Dali Megaline, Kharma Exc., Sonus Faber Amati Homage (in a small room with Einstein OTL) and some others that i dont remember now.
    In any case, sorry for the VS rant, none of them may be your cup of tea... Just mentioning the models do change considerably at the higher end of the line so if you heard a VR-4JR or SR... etc, you may not have heard the line at its absolute best (IMO).

---Dave]
    No problem, i am glad you mentioned it. I am very citical and there are only a few systems i like but in the top end range it is mostly about personal taste since the price becomes irrelevant. If you can buy a VR11 you could buy a Wilson X2, so its personal taste instead of the price ;-)

My one dream speaker i would like to hear, and havent done so is the Goldmund Apologue

nice speakers, happy listening
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

My one dream speaker i would like to hear, and havent done so is the Goldmund Apologue
    Who are you, and what have you done with Flo?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Who are you, and what have you done with Flo?
    Hehe, well the Goldmund is so freakingly expensive and rare that even I, a guy with a fantasy and dedication to match almost gives up on it. If you ever find one at a price that i can sell my soul for, let me know!

Here is a pic of it

Hehe, well the Goldmund is so freakingly expensive and rare that even I, a guy with a fantasy and dedication to match almost gives up on it. If you ever find one at a price that i can sell my soul for, let me know!

Here is a pic of it

can you define 'freakingly expensive'? The goldmunds sound good i guess, but i don't want them in my living room, they're not really my style.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE