Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
OK, I've had some time to run the system through its paces. I also took the time to calibrate everything with my RS sound level meter and the Sound & Vision setup DVD. Here's what I've discovered so far:

- The speakers are a touch too high on the walls. I really can't change this now, and I like the fact that my little ones can't reach them yet, but I didn't take into account that when I recline the lazy boys, they drop my head down about a foot and back about a foot and a half. If anyone is setting up their system in front of reclining chairs, that's probably something that shouldn't be ignored. I also will be looking to mount the center channel under the TV (instead of on top) , and that should smooth out the front image, I hope.

- The difference between DTS and DD is much more pronounced. And I now like DTS a whole lot more - bass is tighter, sound is crisper all around. It's really unfortunate that all DVDs don't come with both sound formats, because I have to recalibrate things every time I switch disks.

- Calibrating by ear is very inaccurate; I always ended up with the center overwhelming the rest of the speakers. Of course having it jut out into center of the room on top of the TV doesn't help either. Can't wait to get that flat screen.

- Dipoles/Quadpoles never sounded as good as these direct radiating speakers. I ran through a bunch of DD & DTS demos and the fly-by effects are so much more realistic. I'm still struggling with the front sound stage, but the rear speakers are amazingly accurate. Played the Matrix hallway shooting scene multiple times with different configurations, and it is way better, even at very low volumes.

- I put a pair of Axioms M22ti's up against the two front Weberns and there's no contest, the latter were more dynamic, lively, and fuller. Just for the heck I also tried to put the VP150 up against the Webern center, and the difference was still there but it was a bit closer, although I had to do this with a single amp and fiddle with the balance each time, so my eval may not have been as accurate.

- The Outlaw audio 7125 amp is OK, but nothing to write home about. I think it puts out 190W, but in two-channel stereo mode, it was bested by my HCA-2, several other PS Audio amps, even my aging Adcom GFA-7500. I was really disappointed in discovering this.

- I'm also thinking that the Outlaw preamp may be involved in this issue. I don't have any others to compare it to, but I just have this nagging feeling that it gives up performance for features.

So that's it so far. I'm still not done fiddling, so I'll see what else I can discover over the next few days. Right now, I've been given an ultimatum by my wife that I can't buy anything more until I sell something. Actually these are her exact words: "You can't buy anything without selling something that is just as heavy!" Apparently asking her to help me move my amps out of the "kids" room, has not helped... And my retort that her clothes where hogging all my closet space, also deteriorated into a heated discussion about weight (and we weren't talking about the weight of my gear anymore)
Congrats on you new toys Nightflier. Hope you have many, many years of enjoyment from them.

As to the Outlaw gear, I think you are discovering what I did when I tried to pair them with my Tylers (did not work *at all*)... Unfortunately revealing speakers really show the Outlaw gear's limitations. Love the Outlaw guys and I appreciate what they are trying to accomplish (very high bang for the buck for audio enthusiasts on a budget), but unfortunately their products really can't replace a good amp or pre-amp, IMO. I am sure once you go to a different pairing you can unlock the last bit of resolution in your Viennas.

Good luck,

---Dave