Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I would try to find a pair of Triangle floor standers. They have the soud that you are looking for. Very fast, very detailed and accurate sound with great midrange and the best high end I have heard in a speaker. They image extremely well and present a very good sound stage. They have very tight but slightly lean bass.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    *UPDATE* : someone in another forum saw the same picture and said, "Why don't you pull the speakers out until the left-side one is even with that nasty corner?" and I wrote back and said, "Because the speakers are already too big for the space, that'll put 'em way too close to my head," and he said, "Why don't you try it?"

Well y'all can probably see this coming, but they sound uh-MAY-zing, now. So amazing, in fact, that I may have just saved myself a ton of headache and more than a small amount of dough.

Is there a software program out there that will help me place them scientifically? I seem to want to recall seeing a mention of something you can run on your computer that will tell you exactly where to put your speakers, but I might be just imagining that.

Quote Originally Posted by dogorman
    Is there a software program out there that will help me place them scientifically? I seem to want to recall seeing a mention of something you can run on your computer that will tell you exactly where to put your speakers, but I might be just imagining that.

I don't know any of those programs, but they'll probably exist and will probably cost you alot too...

However, I do recommend you to read through this:
    http://www.rivesaudio.com/files/spkr_plcmt.pdf

Appendix A is probably the only thing that is helpful now though...

and this is interesting too:

http://www.rivesaudio.com/resources/...oom/frame.html

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Cardas guide

*UPDATE* : someone in another forum saw the same picture and said, "Why don't you pull the speakers out until the left-side one is even with that nasty corner?" and I wrote back and said, "Because the speakers are already too big for the space, that'll put 'em way too close to my head," and he said, "Why don't you try it?"

Well y'all can probably see this coming, but they sound uh-MAY-zing, now. So amazing, in fact, that I may have just saved myself a ton of headache and more than a small amount of dough.

Very good advice you got. I too had the thought that wall reflections from you left speaker would be a big problem.

A classic guide for speaker setup is that from Cardas, the maker of cables and connectors ...
    http://www.cardas.com/content.php?ar...ing=Room+Setup

Clearly it isn't possible for everyone to set up their speakers in this way, depending on the size, shape, and other usage of their listening room.
    Last edited by Feanor; 02-09-2008 at 04:37 AM.

drseid, a follow-up question for you: If I get the 7's I can get them in mk-II right now, but the 22s are only currently for sale on the 'gon as a mk-I. Presumably the 22s would endure as mains in a HT system -- will the 7's work as mains until I can get some more dough, or will they be too small? I think the 7's will be better for music, both because they'll probably image better, as you say, and also because the specific pair I'd get would be mk-ii, but if they can't handle HT reproduction, as mains, at least for awhile, then the 22s are the smarter choice.
    Sorry for the late response (been on a business trip)... The difference between the mk I and mk II versions of the Joseph speakers are not particularly great, IMO. So I would not let that deter you. That said, if you are going to be using a quality sub in a HT setup and would use it for music as well... then the 7s may be enough because they can easily get low enough to blend. The key is to get a sub that will mesh with them properly. If you plan on using the mains for music sans sub, then I would say the 22s are the better way to go... Just my opinion though.

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

Those Stratas are very intriguing and certainly make a striking impact visually. I read the review from "cover to cover" and my only hesitation is that the sound was described as perhaps just a tad laid-back for my tastes. I have a pair of Audio Physic Spark IIII's right now and I didn't keep them plugged into my system (will be selling on the 'gon, shortly) because the highs were too rolled-off for me. I'm all about the microphonics, the soundstage, and the PRAT, at least some of which requires some pretty assertive highs. I wonder: is there someplace I could listen to these Stratas, or is it an in-home demo only, like Cambridge?

On the question of 4 ohms vs. 8 ohms, as I understand things you are *both* right. The power output of the amp does indeed increase as the impedance of the speaker goes down, but this doesn't mean that the amp is working less hard, indeed it's working harder because (via ohm's law) it implies the need for more current to drive the signal at the same sound pressure. The Ninkas are 90db and 4ohm, and they work fine with the Nait5i, but the Katans, which are 85db and 4ohm, don't sound anything like as good as they should, when they're over at my house. So the consensus of staying with higher impedance speakers is probably a good instinct, ceteris paribus.

Incidentally, I don't know why I would think that I can talk about any of this as if I know what I'm doing, especially after showing you guys my room....
    If you are anywhere near zip code 18337 you are welcome to come here and hear mine. If not then I would suggest going to their forum and asking if there is anyone near you. The people there are extremely nice and make it a habbit of letting people come over to hear their equipment.
    http://av123.com/index.php?option=co...=21&Itemid=117
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    Well, I just spent the better part of a day tweaking the placement of my existing speakers to contend with bizarre room resonances, and the setup I've ended up with... well, it looks completely dorky. But we don't buy all of this stuff because we want it to look good, now do we. (Note the left-side speaker actually firing *AWAY* from the listener. Don't ask me why this works, but it does.)

I guess the lesson in this is one that many of you were trying to tell me all along: there's no sense in buying new speakers until you've done what you can with room and placement. Call me stubborn.

Dyn's....the only speaker you'l ever need...outrageous sound from a small box...I would'nt use anything else unless I built it myself....and I are....a fun search to be sure
    be well...and learn each day

kunk

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    If you are anywhere near zip code 18337 you are welcome to come here and hear mine. If not then I would suggest going to their forum and asking if there is anyone near you. The people there are extremely nice and make it a habbit of letting people come over to hear their equipment.
    http://av123.com/index.php?option=co...=21&Itemid=117
    WOW! I use to live in Matamoras durring my high school/college years. Worked in Metro-Electronics durring college. Grew up in Port Jervis. Small world. How's Vanessa Carlton doing?

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I haven't heard any speakers present an image of the soundstage as well as a Tannoy Dual-Concentric. They may have other faults depending on model, but imaging is almost magically good, no matter where you listen from. Kef UniQs likely do the same.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Corto Maltese
    I would consider moving...
    Kidding. Vienna's are nice speakers, but...
    Get away from 4 ohm speakers. Your Naim is 8 ohm. Even 100 dB sensitivity would not help you there.
    You could try with some kind of studio monitors, known for good near-field, full range presentation, with no real need for sub. Tannoy did make some of those - could be the best in the world, but I can’t remember models. You could also find that horn-loaded speakers (like Klipsch) could give a bit edgy but otherwise good sound (even for HT) in spaces like yours. Some of other members could give you more info on those.
    More attention is paid to the non issue of speaker impedance than anything.

It used to matter more when amps were fifty watt and under, now most are way over that
    I have used both 4 and 8 ohm, even in the same system, and while its important to match left and right, whether or not they are 4 or 8 never has made much difference to me.
    Would a four ohm speaker sound better if it were an eight? HOW many angels can dance on the head of a pin?
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Klim
    WOW! I use to live in Matamoras durring my high school/college years. Worked in Metro-Electronics durring college. Grew up in Port Jervis. Small world. How's Vanessa Carlton doing?
    Cool,
    We're loving Milford. Wifey works in Port Jervis now. We haven't seen Vanessa Carlton around. Maybe she's off on tour somewhere.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information