Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

Favorite standmount speaker under $2,500

My next step up will be speakers. I have decided that I would stick with stand mount speakers. I like the OML1's over the RS6's due to less interference from the cabinets. I believe any speaker under $4-5,000 should be a standmount. I enjoy on some music the extra bass of the floorstander but the loss of detail is not worth the trade-offs.

I am not looking for speakers that are very highly efficient or work in a corner. Nothing wrong with either but my amp puts out plenty of power and I have things already in the corners. I am also not interested in panel loudspeakers again due to room size.

I have a local dealer who carries both the Reference 3A and Joseph Audio lines. They both have bookshelf speakers a little under my budget. I recently heard the de Cappo's and really liked them. I have not heard the Joseph Audio speaker but years ago I was impressed by an Infinite Slope bookshelf that had incredible imaging. Joseph Audio uses a refined version of the infinite slope crossover.

Imaging and soundstage layering is important. I do not like bright speakers. I like a speaker that can groove and sound funky when needed like the OML1's where the RS6's are more about the leading edge of notes and less about sustain and decay. I think that is why to my ears I would either get tired of the RS6's or miss the OML1's. Lately I have felt like the Mitt of the audio world.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Ajani
    I agree with your budget choices: under $4K I'd probably opt for a really good standmount (or maybe DIY)....

My choice for $2.5K (including stands) is the Revel Performa M22 - at 85db they'd really appreciate all your Krell has to offer....

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani View Post
    I agree with your budget choices: under $4K I'd probably opt for a really good standmount (or maybe DIY)....

My choice for $2.5K (including stands) is the Revel Performa M22 - at 85db they'd really appreciate all your Krell has to offer....

Nice suggestion Ajani and I will look to see where I can hear a pair. I have read much good about their floorstanders. Thanks
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    I won't try and talk you into floorstanders, because I might just be wasting my time. There is nothing wrong with standmounts as I can attest to. I will suggest the Dynaudio Focus 140 as the 160's have been released and the 140's will undoubtedly be reduced. Also the Usher BE-718 would be an excellent choice.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Forum Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    I won't try and talk you into floorstanders, because I might just be wasting my time. There is nothing wrong with standmounts as I can attest to. I will suggest the Dynaudio Focus 140 as the 160's have been released and the 140's will undoubtedly be reduced. Also the Usher BE-718 would be an excellent choice.

I have thought about Dynaudio's and have always been impressed with the quality of their drivers. Usher is another good suggestion. I need to see if their are any dealers near to me.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    I have thought about Dynaudio's and have always been impressed with the quality of their drivers. Usher is another good suggestion. I need to see if their are any dealers near to me.
    I know my Usher dealer will ship to you if you have no dealer in your area. They've been Class A recommended by Stereophile since they were first introduced on the market.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Hi JM....the new Galo speaker will be released oon...in about a month per my dealer. I cant wait to take a listen. Don't know if you have a dealer near you but they are in your budget.

Anthony Gallo Acoustics :: Satellite Speakers | Audio Loudspeaker | Speakers
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    I would see if I could get a pair of lightly used Totem Mani-2 sigs. My favorite standmount speaker!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    I know my Usher dealer will ship to you if you have no dealer in your area. They've been Class A recommended by Stereophile since they were first introduced on the market.

I appreciate the help. One thing I want to do is to find a speaker that I go a little crazy for. Years ago when I had my Smaller Advents I would go to the store and listen as I saved up for a system. Same thing when I bought my ADS speakers and later when I bought the NHT SuperOnes. I want to find a speaker I am excited about and then part with the cash.

I auditioned the Monitor Audio's from a local shop after a few auditions. I do not think I was as excited by them at the time as I should have been. I do think I was swayed by the review and Class B rating in Stereophile. Now I want to listen to 4 or 5 speakers on multiple visits and decide which one I cannot live wihtout. Then when I narrow it down to one or two I will take the OML1's with me.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin View Post
    I would see if I could get a pair of lightly used Totem Mani-2 sigs. My favorite standmount speaker!

We do have a dealer for Totem. I will try to give them a listen.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Hi JM....the new Galo speaker will be released oon...in about a month per my dealer. I cant wait to take a listen. Don't know if you have a dealer near you but they are in your budget.

Anthony Gallo Acoustics :: Satellite Speakers | Audio Loudspeaker | Speakers

Wow thanks so much I followed the link and found a dealer just about 30 miles away and a brand new audio shop I did not know existed.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

RGA
    Forum Regular
    I will try to talk you out of standmounts.

Think bout the reason most people buy standmounts? Price and size. But size is a non issue since you have to buy a stand - they they still take up the SAME footprint in your room. If you have to have a free standing loudspeaker then you have gutted most of the living space around the speakers anyway.

And you usually give up sensitivity, bass, dynamics, and volume with most standmount speakers. You say sensitivity is not an issue but even if you have a billion watt amplifier maybe one day you hear a really good system that changes your mind as it does for many and it would be nice not to have to dump the speakers. A HE speaker can be run with 1000 watt amps or 5 watt amps. You get more choice as a result.

Giving up all that for what? Take B&W - I would sooner buy the B&W 604 floorstander than an N805. Yes the 805 has a better tweeter but it's still not great - and the 604 has a much fuller range sound which hides it's tweeter a little better. It's far more open and engaging with weight and drive. The 805 is a grand more and light weight anaemic. Same footprint. Some designers are much better with their standmounts over their floorstanders of course so this doesn't apply to all but I would be looking hard at the floorstanders (don't need to buy a stand) and you may not immediately feel you want a subwoofer (which takes up yet more space).

There are very few standmounts that satisfy me when the price is $2000. I can accept no bass impact dynamics at $700 but at $2500 it better sound better than a B&W, Revel, Dynaudio, Paradigm.

I would look at a used set of Gallo 3.5 speakers - the footprint is very small they don't have high power demands though they can take big power.

How low do you want to go?

Coming from floorstanders are you compromising in the 50hz to 70hz range?

If so what about the Harbeth 7ES-3 or P3ES-5? I've read that they just disappear and give
    you the most music out of a speaker. No analyzing, just enjoyment.

Quote Originally Posted by Enochrome View Post
    How low do you want to go?

Coming from floorstanders are you compromising in the 50hz to 70hz range?

If so what about the Harbeth 7ES-3 or P3ES-5? I've read that they just disappear and give
    you the most music out of a speaker. No analyzing, just enjoyment.

The Harbeth's 7ES-3 are about $1,000 over budget. I would like to hear them one day.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by RGA View Post

Think bout the reason most people buy standmounts? Price and size. But size is a non issue since you have to buy a stand - they they still take up the SAME footprint in your room. If you have to have a free standing loudspeaker then you have gutted most of the living space around the speakers anyway.

And you usually give up sensitivity, bass, dynamics, and volume with most standmount speakers. You say sensitivity is not an issue but even if you have a billion watt amplifier maybe one day you hear a really good system that changes your mind as it does for many and it would be nice not to have to dump the speakers. A HE speaker can be run with 1000 watt amps or 5 watt amps. You get more choice as a result.

Giving up all that for what? Take B&W - I would sooner buy the B&W 604 floorstander than an N805. Yes the 805 has a better tweeter but it's still not great - and the 604 has a much fuller range sound which hides it's tweeter a little better. It's far more open and engaging with weight and drive. The 805 is a grand more and light weight anaemic. Same footprint. Some designers are much better with their standmounts over their floorstanders of course so this doesn't apply to all but I would be looking hard at the floorstanders (don't need to buy a stand) and you may not immediately feel you want a subwoofer (which takes up yet more space).

There are very few standmounts that satisfy me when the price is $2000. I can accept no bass impact dynamics at $700 but at $2500 it better sound better than a B&W, Revel, Dynaudio, Paradigm.

I would look at a used set of Gallo 3.5 speakers - the footprint is very small they don't have high power demands though they can take big power.

The reason I would want standmounts is smaller cabinets and less resonance. The OML1's are both horizontally and vertically braced and have minimal cabinet vibrations compared to the RS6's. I like a rigid cabinet and I think it is easier to find in a small speaker in my budget than one with larger cabinets.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Ajani
    Huh? Aren't all the speakers by your favourite brand (with the exception of the AZ one and two) stand mounts? Even the AN-E has a stand to get it to a proper height (if I'm not mistaken)...

RGA
    Forum Regular
    The AN J and E are standmounts but compete with full range floorstanders - no other standmount that I have heard does that for anything remotely an affordable price. All standmounts I have heard sound like puny ass little speakers and for small money that is fine but at ~$3k it's too much money IMO to live without a huge spectrum of sound.

I prefer meat on the bones to my sound even if it comes with a little bit of grit.

The Reference 3a MM de Capo and and Audio Note AN K/SPE is about the bare minimum in bass and dynamics that I would be willing to accept and reason both are in my favorites in the price class. The K/Spe is a sealed box infinite baffle design and is not strictly speaking a corner loaded design. Though because it's sealed it works well in corners. The Decapo has more frequency response issues but a darker sound makes them more inviting with poorly recorded music. The K/Spe is not nice to lesser equipment so I only recommend them in certain situations.

When Hi-Fi Choice did their blind level matched sessions with the AN J the bass simply destroyed all the other speakers in the test so they had to pull it out and put them into their full range floorstander sessions - the AN J still won amongst the many listeners and they all commented that the bass still bettered the floorstanders. So while technically they are standmount speakers because they require a stand to get the tweeter at the correct height they ought to be considered floorstanders with regards to performance. This can't be said for the likes of the B&W N805s and all speakers that size and general shape - none of them ever even remotely perform like floorstanders.

There are some big standmounts from Harbeth like the M40 that have about the same general bass depth of the AN J. But it costs three times more money and is physically a lot larger - nice sounding IMO though.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    The reason I would want standmounts is smaller cabinets and less resonance. The OML1's are both horizontally and vertically braced and have minimal cabinet vibrations compared to the RS6's. I like a rigid cabinet and I think it is easier to find in a small speaker in my budget than one with larger cabinets.
    Well that is true of some makers but the Gallo 3.5 has no such cabinet issues.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ajani
    The AN J and E are standmounts but compete with full range floorstanders - no other standmount that I have heard does that for anything remotely an affordable price. All standmounts I have heard sound like puny ass little speakers and for small money that is fine but at ~$3k it's too much money IMO to live without a huge spectrum of sound.

I prefer meat on the bones to my sound even if it comes with a little bit of grit.

The Reference 3a MM de Capo and and Audio Note AN K/SPE is about the bare minimum in bass and dynamics that I would be willing to accept and reason both are in my favorites in the price class. The K/Spe is a sealed box infinite baffle design and is not strictly speaking a corner loaded design. Though because it's sealed it works well in corners. The Decapo has more frequency response issues but a darker sound makes them more inviting with poorly recorded music. The K/Spe is not nice to lesser equipment so I only recommend them in certain situations.

When Hi-Fi Choice did their blind level matched sessions with the AN J the bass simply destroyed all the other speakers in the test so they had to pull it out and put them into their full range floorstander sessions - the AN J still won amongst the many listeners and they all commented that the bass still bettered the floorstanders. So while technically they are standmount speakers because they require a stand to get the tweeter at the correct height they ought to be considered floorstanders with regards to performance. This can't be said for the likes of the B&W N805s and all speakers that size and general shape - none of them ever even remotely perform like floorstanders.

There are some big standmounts from Harbeth like the M40 that have about the same general bass depth of the AN J. But it costs three times more money and is physically a lot larger - nice sounding IMO though.
    Fair enough.. We don't disagree in major way on this one... I do generally prefer floorstanders and closer to fullrange sound...

Also, I wouldn't buy the B&W 805S as I feel they are too bass light and bright... However, there are monitors that deliver bass comparable to a small floorstander (not fullrange and likely not as impressive as the AN J but still much better than the the usual monitors)... The Dynaudio Focus 140 mentioned earlier will deliver good bass (though I really don't like the tweeter - way too laid back for me)... & the Revel Performa M22 will provide good bass for most types of music as well... At $2.5K (including stands) I could live with the bass of the M22, above that I'd have to save up for $4K Towers...

So there's actually a gap in my buying range at the moment - up to $2.5K, I could live with Monitors (just not the really bass deficient, wimpy ones)... Above $4K I'd buy nothing but Towers... And currently between $2.5K and $4K, there's nothing I'd buy...

I'll take a pair of Salk Song Towers, PSB Synchrony ones's and two's or a pair of Theil CS 2.4's for under $4k any day of the week, and not to forget Magnepan 1.7's.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    I'll take a pair of Salk Song Towers, PSB Synchrony ones's and two's or a pair of Theil CS 2.4's for under $4k any day of the week, and not to forget Magnepan 1.7's.
    PSB Synchrony 1 is $5.5K - so well over the $4K budget... Synchrony 2 is $3.5K, so almost a $4K tower (never heard it though)... I've not heard the Thiels or the Salks... and Maggies aren't my cup of tea...

Forum Regular
    I vote Be-718 and I think they have more than enough base for most music, if not you can always add a sub for more dynamics.

I should mention that my room is 12x15 ft. and the speakers will be in front of the 12 ft. wall. That is not a lot of space and I have to be somewhat considerate of my neighbors below. Oh and my budget is still$2,500.

Thanks for the responses so far I have been looking up the speakers and checking for local dealers.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Ajani
    I should mention that my room is 12x15 ft. and the speakers will be in front of the 12 ft. wall. That is not a lot of space and I have to be somewhat considerate of my neighbors below.
    Sound like a Monitor is the best choice...

Oh and my budget is still$2,500..
    LOL... my apologies for derailing the discussion...

Thanks for the responses so far I have been looking up the speakers and checking for local dealers.
    Cool... I hope you get to carry the Krell along for the auditions... I will be very interested to see what speaker you settle on....

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information