Forum Regular

Logitech Z-2300 speakers or Boston Acoustics T830 speakers?

Logitech Z-2300 speakers or Boston Acoustics T830 speakers?
    Which should I get? I like to listen to a lot of hip hop, jazz, and downtempo music. I do also like a lot of acoustic, rock, and classical music.

go for the Boston acoustics...i own a the Z-2300 and while its impressive for a computer speaker they only really sound decent in a nearfield listening situation such as on a computer desk...that includes the sub too....the Z-2300 sub sounds like crap on the floor, way too boomy but sounds smooth and deep right in front of you off the floor. Go for a somewhat real set of speakers.
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 Integrated amp
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 CD
    Teac DS-H01 Dock
    Energy 22 Reference Connoisseur Speakers
    Cardas Cross and Cardas Hexlink Golden 5C
    Tara Labs RSC Reference Gen2

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyBC
    go for the Boston acoustics...i own a the Z-2300 and while its impressive for a computer speaker they only really sound decent in a nearfield listening situation such as on a computer desk...that includes the sub too....the Z-2300 sub sounds like crap on the floor, way too boomy but sounds smooth and deep right in front of you off the floor. Go for a somewhat real set of speakers.
    Well I AM going to be playing them off a computer and ipod... does that make a difference? What are the differences in sound between them?

Chicago IL
    Get the Boston Acoustics

Quote Originally Posted by nirama
    Well I AM going to be playing them off a computer and ipod... does that make a difference? What are the differences in sound between them?
    Are you running the computer and ipod through an amplifier? Logitech's are self powered and dont need an external amp or receiver. With the Boston T-830's you mention you will need a decent amp. While I have not heard the Bostons i would still recommend them over the logitechs from what i have read about them on various reputable forums. Even a used pair of Paradigm mini monitors without a sub will be more musically satisfying than the logitechs. If you have no amp then get the logitechs, they are a bargain at 99 bucks.
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 CD
    Teac DS-H01 Dock

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyBC
    Are you running the computer and ipod through an amplifier? Logitech's are self powered and dont need an external amp or receiver. With the Boston T-830's you mention you will need a decent amp. While I have not heard the Bostons i would still recommend them over the logitechs from what i have read about them on various reputable forums. Even a used pair of Paradigm mini monitors without a sub will be more musically satisfying than the logitechs. If you have no amp then get the logitechs, they are a bargain at 99 bucks.
    Sorry for the noobiness, but from what I have read, an amp gives more "oomph" to the receiver and speakers, correct? Furthermore, is it correct that if I have just a receiver, I don't need an amp? Also, keep in mind that these speakers are only going to be used for listening to at probably parties, and when I'm sitting around/doing homework.
    Last edited by nirama; 09-17-2009 at 11:45 PM.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nirama
    Also, keep in mind that these speakers are only going to be used for listening to at probably parties, and when I'm sitting around/doing homework.

....hmmmm parties and homework. So pretty much the full gambit wouldn't you say? You need proper quality at low levels and of course, you want to rock your friends like a hurricane when its party time. Dude, you need to buy an amp, theres no way a typical computer speaker set up will satisfy all your needs. And yes, a "receiver" is essentially an amp and a radio tuner combined into one package. A receiver would be fine but really what you need is just an amp which is for powering the speakers. Go to your local hi-fi shop and they will break it down for you....

What he said.....but any receiver with 50 watts or more and decent speaker will be better than most computer speakers. You can plug an i-pod and computer into any of the high level input jacks on the receiver. You can use "VIDEO" "AUX" "CD" or "TAPE" etc. You cannot however use "PHONO".
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 CD
    Teac DS-H01 Dock

Forum Regular
    Well I AM planning on getting speakers... either the Z-2300 or the T830's. Do I need to buy a reciever, the speakers, AND an amp? I am going to probably run a cord from my computer to the receiver and then into the speakers. That is what I meant by playing off of my speakers. I'd still like some more opinion between Z-2300 and T830's. And I am still curious about whether I should get an amp also. thanks! haha

An amp can be in its own box or it can be an internal part of the speakers, like with the Logitech system, or internal to a receiver. The self-powered Logitech system has its own amp and will play with no other equipment besides your computer. The non-powered Boston speakers need to be driven by an amp. That amp can be inside a receiver or in its own box. I run non-powered speakers with an amp that is in its own box. I run a wire from the sound card to a splitter to the amp. This is the amp:

http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AM.../dp/B00026BQJ6

Here's the splitter:

http://www.headphone.com/products/ca...ca-adapter.php

From the splitter to the amp would be a regular set of audio cables. My amp works like your receiver will. You don't need both.

Thread Information