• 03-16-2010, 04:16 PM
    cjpremierfour
    Epicure 1000, any thoughts
    A pair of Epicure 1000's just popped up on Ebay and I was wanting to know if anyone had any experience with these monsters. I've only seen pictues of these on the Human ( EPI/ Genesis / Burhoe ) website, never a real pair.

Can anyone remember one of these being sold before and what was the asking price?
    Anybody want to guess on a value of these in fair condition?
  • 03-17-2010, 06:20 AM
    Worf101
    Well...
    I've owned/own many Epicure speakers over the years. Never seen a 1000 before except in ads or on Humanspeakers.com's website. I have never had a pair of Epicures I didn't love. They were/are fine examples of American speaker design and craftsmanship. Considering the size, weight and age of the speakers, it's definately a "pick up" only affair. If I had the room and proximity, I'd probably buy them myself. I personally think that if the woofer surrounds stand up to the scrutiny, these would make a nice addition but not at that price.

Worf

PS, just looked close at the pics, all the surrounds are gone and the cabinets are kinda rough, Haggle for a lower price.

Worf
  • 03-17-2010, 07:36 AM
    sgp
    epicure 1000
    I have a pair of these and their little brothers, the 400.

A few things you should know:
    These speakers a very inefficient in that they sound WAY better with a lot of power. They're not sonically up to snuff with a basic 100 watt receiver.

The high end is less than ideal, and you may want to tweak the tweeeters if you get them.

Shipping is likely to be prohibitively expensive -- they are big and heavy.

Speakers generally don't hold their value -- and these need a lot of work.

You can make these yourself, if you're so inclined, using free designs at HumanSpeakers.Com.

All that said, I really like my 400s and 1000s.