Forum Regular

effect of replacing source vs. amp

I am looking to upgrade my source and amp for my paradigm studio 20s, but am wondering what effect replacing each part will have. Is there one that affects clarity more, or one that will widen the frequency response of the speaker more? I am torn over what to replace first, the dvd player I use for a source or the surround reciever I use as an amp. All ideas greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by funnyhat
    I am looking to upgrade my source and amp for my paradigm studio 20s, but am wondering what effect replacing each part will have. Is there one that affects clarity more, or one that will widen the frequency response of the speaker more? I am torn over what to replace first, the dvd player I use for a source or the surround reciever I use as an amp. All ideas greatly appreciated!
    Probably the amp will have the greater impact of the two (especially if you are going from a receiver to a high quality integrated). I am not in the "all budget CD players sound the same" camp, but I have found the differences on most budget players are very subtle.

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the help so far. Would the cambridge audio cd players fall under the category of budget players that don't have a major impact? Also, what price range should I look at for a integrated amp that will be a big step up from my reciever? Would cambridge 5 or 640 or music hall 25.2 for a few examples make a big difference? Thanks again for all ideas.

Without a doubt ...

The amp is typically makes a more fundament difference than the source, (digital source, that is). This is, of course, a generalization.

Some people say, "The sound is only as good as the source", but I say, "The sound is only as good as the weakest links in the chain". And the weakest links are typically (1) the speakers, (2) the amp, (3...) everything else.

Thanks for the help so far. Would the cambridge audio cd players fall under the category of budget players that don't have a major impact? Also, what price range should I look at for a integrated amp that will be a big step up from my reciever? Would cambridge 5 or 640 or music hall 25.2 for a few examples make a big difference? Thanks again for all ideas.
    Music Hall makes good products, IMO. I think I have mentioned in another thread that I also like Jolida at the budget level (if a hybrid tube angle is something you would consider).

As far as price, personally I would easily pick a Jolida 1301A at $325 retail over most receivers (if the features the receiver usually offers are not needed). As a general rule though, there a lot of very nice 2 channel integrated amps from several quality manufacturers in the $500-$1000 range.

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

Forum Regular
    depends,is this a music only system.If so then get rid of your dvd player,get your self a nice little cd player,i've heard both cambridges and they are nice for the money,get a version 2 however.Hook it up by analog cable and get a nice integrated amp later.Cambridge audio has a couple of nice units there as well.You can get both pieces for around $1100.00 canadian and they work well together.

bill

Forum Regular
    This will be a music only system, so I think I will go with the dedicated cd player. I was wondering why the v. 2 is better, audio advisor has the 540 v1 for 200, which is really tempting me is it worth it to spend the extra for the v 2? Thanks.

golden ear
    both upgrades will have an effect. the impact would depend on what you will be replacing and what you will be replacing it with. for the CD player, arcam, rotel, cambridge audio are good choices..for the amp, nad, rotel, cambridge audio, adcom are good choices...be careful with the combination. you really have to go for a balanced sound in the end.

Forum Regular
    funnyhat
    check out the cambridge website,they do a good job of laying out the difference.I have only heard the version 1 as i was shopping before the v2 came out but the boys at my dealer tell me there is a nice difference.

bill

Really depends on what you have now,and what you are looking to gain.Is this 2ch only or 5.1.New units from HK,Denon,and Yanaha have room correction that will inprove SQ.As far as source you will not get a real improvement.You could however go with one of the new players that will do DVDV,DVDA,CD,and Sacd with BM and distance settings.They are priced at about 200 dollars or better.Do you have a sub,if not that will make a real world difference also..

Thread Information