Exclamation need some new budget speakers

Hello, recently my left speaker of my stereo went kablam so I need a new set.
    My Budget: $200 USD/$250 CND
    i'm looking for some good bookshelfs, my room is 10x11 feet. queen size bed in it, funiture n'stuff, I have a Yamaha RX 397 receiver. looking for good bass and clean highs, prefer a silk or fabric dome tweeter, if possible, metal is ok. And please, don't give me all suggestions that are pushing my budget, I don't have that kind of money.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by audio_dude
    Hello, recently my left speaker of my stereo went kablam so I need a new set.
    My Budget: $200 USD/$250 CND
    i'm looking for some good bookshelfs, my room is 10x11 feet. queen size bed in it, funiture n'stuff, I have a Yamaha RX 397 receiver. looking for good bass and clean highs, prefer a silk or fabric dome tweeter, if possible, metal is ok. And please, don't give me all suggestions that are pushing my budget, I don't have that kind of money.
    If you're not afraid to get your hands dirty, I always recommend the Dayton BR-1 speaker kit from Parts Express:
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-640

These use quality drivers and components throughout. Real easy to put together, but you'll have to solder (or know someone who can).

I haven't heard a speaker under $450 USD that I thought sounded better, and I've owned a few in my day. I've personally A/B tested these against Paradigm's Mini Monitor (v.3) speakers, and they only area they didn't out perform was in efficiency (but in your small room that's definitely not a concern. Do a search, the other people here that have taken the plunge haven't been disappointed.

If that seems a bit much, you might consider looking to ebay or audiogon.com for some good deals on speakers. Names like Paradigm, Polk, and Athena go for reasonably cheap these days. I'm doubtful you'll find a silk/fabric dome at that price range though. It's usually metal. Still, they're finally figuring out how to implement metal domes properly without being to harsh these days. Worth a shot.

Forum Regular
    Audio Advisor has the Athena Technologies AS-B1.2 on sale for $119.95. They usually retail for around $200. Although I don't own any Athena bookshelf speakers, I do own an Athena sub, which has worked fine. I have heard the B1's though, and for $119.95 it sounds like a great deal. I know there are a some folks on this board that are big fans of the Athena line. Maybe they will chime in here. Good luck.

Paradigm Atoms are quite nice for the price. 189.00.

Forum Regular
    I second the motion on Paradigm Atoms, great value for the price!

+3 on the Atoms.

what about the paradigm titans, I think I can afford those.

Those are good as well. You wont go wrong with either.

Forum Regular
    The Audio Review .com kit is a really superb speaker.You won't get anything close to it for under $600 US.I have made 2 pairs of these for friends.These are Proac or Spendor type quality of sound at a bargain price.

JT

These X-ls Danny Richie designed mini-monitors would most likely fit the bill nicely at $199/pr...

http://www.av123.com/products_catego...akers&brand=55

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

Forum Regular
    Second rec for the X-LS. Much more neutral than the Paradigms, no bass hump. The AV123 X-LS is based on the $800 GR AV-1 kit (with better/bigger drivers, but a vinyl finish).

Polkyphil38
    I used to own a set of the Titan v.3's and for the money they were not bad. After breaking in seemed to sound better especially when watching dvds. However, IMHO the Atoms are the "gems" of Paradigms Performance Line. Have not heard anything better for the money. As many have recommended I have to give the nod to the Atoms. Good luck in your choice. Happy hunting!!!!!
    REMEMBER "THE ABSOLUTE BEST SPEAKER(S) IS THE ONE THAT SOUNDS BEST TO YOU." ONLY YOU KNOW WHAT YOU LIKE AND WHAT YOU PREFER. IT REALLY IS AS SIMPLE AS THAT. HAPPY HUNTING!!!!

Well, I live in ottawa, ontario, canada, so I don't know how much the shipping is, if someone could find out for me that would be great, and plus, in canada our Mail service charges PST at the door, probably making the price around $325 or something. I think i'm going to audition the titans and the atoms first, then see what I like.

Well, I live in ottawa, ontario, canada, so I don't know how much the shipping is, if someone could find out for me that would be great, and plus, in canada our Mail service charges PST at the door, probably making the price around $325 or something. I think i'm going to audition the titans and the atoms first, then see what I like.
    If you could go up Energy C-3 in Ottawa for around $330 (half price) or check Canuck classify.

The Titans are on sale for $288 at Audiotronic in Ottawa

Ok, first, I have heard the C-3's a while ago and the titanium tweeter is way to harsh for my tastes.
    I listened to the Atoms and they sound beautiful,(and the price offered is $185 canadian!!!) and the dealer has a trade-up program so I can upgrade to the mini-monitors next year. Now, I need some recomendation for a receiver for about the same price or a little ($50) more, so about $300 MAX!!!
    It only has to be stereo. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

keep on rockin'

Thread Information