Forum Regular

Klipsch Speaker + Velodyne DPS12 or Klipsch Sub 12

Hi All,

1) I am planning to buy Klipsch speaker system(Quintet III) in the range of $500 for 4 sattlite speaker and one center channel speaker.
    Along with this speakers which is the best subwoofer i can buy, Velodyne dps12 or Klipsch sub12.? i am confused, both of them are in the price range of 500$ and i have read of good reviews.
    2) For the above speaker and Subwoofer package what is the best and reasonable Receiver you guys can suggest. I am looking at Harman's AVR 240 or Onkyo 702/3. Max for Receiver i want to invest is $500.
    Please share your exper opinions.

Thanks in advance

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Pass on the Quintet system. For the money, look at the Klipsch Synergy series bookshelf speakers. You can easily get four of them for $400-$500, then spend a little more and get a good center channel. If the budget doesn'e allow for that, get the four bookshlef speakers, then get an inexpensive center for the time being. On the other hand, if you are open to options, get an Acoustech H-100 subwoofer. It only costs $250, and blends wonderfully with my four Klipsch Synergy bookshelfs and my Klipsch Reference center. It has a very subtle and unobtrusive sound for a subwoofer, but it can rattle the windows if it needs to.

As for the receiver either one will do the job with the Klipsch speakers. I have a mid-range Denon...they are great for movies, but not necessarily the best for music. I have friends with mid-range H/K's and Onkyo's and they have been pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by tossurboss2002
    Hi All,

1) I am planning to buy Klipsch speaker system(Quintet III) in the range of $500 for 4 sattlite speaker and one center channel speaker.
    Along with this speakers which is the best subwoofer i can buy, Velodyne dps12 or Klipsch sub12.? i am confused, both of them are in the price range of 500$ and i have read of good reviews.
    2) For the above speaker and Subwoofer package what is the best and reasonable Receiver you guys can suggest. I am looking at Harman's AVR 240 or Onkyo 702/3. Max for Receiver i want to invest is $500.
    Please share your exper opinions.

Thanks in advance
    velodyne probably makes better subs, but the klipsch sub is matched to the klipsch speakers so it should sound better together. i'm looking at the same speakers, sub, & received for a nice "little" system. i'd suggest the h/k but i'm a little biased...

best buy has a deal this week if you spend $699 or more on home audio/speakers, you get the quintet III for free! that's what i'm planning on doing. of course i have to go listen to them first. i'll probably buy the h/k off ebay & save some money...
    Pioneer VSX-1015TX-K A/V Receiver
    harman kardon PA5800 Power Amp
    Toshiba SD-4800 DVD-Audio/Video Player
    XBOX
    Monster Power HTS2500 Line Conditioner
    DCM KX-212 Front Speakers
    DCM KX-Center Channel
    Klipsch Synergy Quintet III Surround L & R/Back L & R
    Klipsch Synergy Sub-12 Powered Subwoofer
    Panasonic CT3142SFT Television
    Dish Network DVR 120gb
    Monster Ultra Series THX Interconnects/Wires

Forum Regular

Klipsch

Are you sure..In which best buy store is this deal, I live in houston where do you live.? That is good deal though.

Forum Regular
    I disagree with har_d_har. The Center speaker is the most important. It carries all the dialogue and every sound that appears to come from your screen. It works all the time, while the others rest. To maintain continuity it should be matched to the LF and RF speakers so that there is transparnecy as sound transition off the screen. A BMW should not sound like a VW as it moves from left to right. Having said all that, your original qustion.

Klipsch Quintet III are a good entry level collection. I would opt for a Velodyne subwoofer. Klipsch is not well known for subwoofers while Velodyne is. However, I have listed to the Quintet III with a a 10" Klipsh sub and the system sounded fine to me in a medium sized room, with average acoustics 10' ceiling, carpet, soft furniture, widows along two walls. I don't think you will go wrong with the Quintet and ether the Klipsh or Velodyne...enjoy!

the deal was good through yesterday (saturday) here in MN. i bought a pioneer 816 receiver (~$300) & a klipsch sub12 & got the quintet III for free. i listened to all the subs at best buy & liked the sub12, so i'd recommend it to match the quintet III like i said earlier. i think i will return the 816 & get the pioneer 1015 though...mainly for the THX Select2 & more power. the 816 was the only receiver there for less than $400 that had preamp outputs. i think the 1015 was around $450. all the yamaha's for that price were only 6.1 & didn't have preamp outputs...or at least the ones i saw there. i was leaning towards yamaha but i needed the features & the pioneers had been reviewed pretty well lately...
    Pioneer VSX-1015TX-K A/V Receiver
    harman kardon PA5800 Power Amp
    Toshiba SD-4800 DVD-Audio/Video Player
    XBOX
    Monster Power HTS2500 Line Conditioner
    DCM KX-212 Front Speakers
    DCM KX-Center Channel
    Klipsch Synergy Quintet III Surround L & R/Back L & R
    Klipsch Synergy Sub-12 Powered Subwoofer
    Panasonic CT3142SFT Television
    Dish Network DVR 120gb
    Monster Ultra Series THX Interconnects/Wires

Tahitijack is correct, the center channel is the most important speaker in a system (in mine and his opinion, at least), for the very reasons he stated...it produces all of the dialog and works non-stop. Which is exactly why I bought a Reference Series center channel, instead of a Synergy Series like my other four speakers. As for blending, he is correct again. However, as long as you have some reasonably decent front speakers and a decent receiver, a little tweaking can yield very good results (although I have to admit that all of my speakers being the same brand helps). I get distinct, clear dialog, as well as good midrange and bass from the center, and an excellent overall soundstage from the entire front trio of speakers.

As for the sub, I would personally steer clear of Klipsch subs. As was mentioned, they are not known for their subs, and every model of Klipsch sub I have ever listened to just puts out a monotone rumbling, no matter what is playing. There are plenty of better brands for the same or less money.

In the end, all of our comments are just suggestions, and whatever sounds the best to your ear is what really matters.

Thread Information