Forum Regular

Hiding speaker wire!

OK I did a search on this,and the only thing it adressed was speaker and cable behind the front stage.My front stage is totally hidden so I'm good there.My problem is the rear surround towers,I have a door on one side,and the walk through to hallway on other side without trim.Any suggestions on how I might hide these?I tried cutting a hole in the carpet behind the front stage and fishing the wire through with coat hangers but kept getting caught up in the foam under the carpet.Merry Xmas!!
    Marantz SR-18
    Eosone RSF1000's
    Eosone RSC 300 Center
    Eosone RSF 400's
    SVS PC 20-39
    Samsung 42" DLP
    Xbox 360
    PS3 60gig

Now with Almonds!
    Hey, I had a similar exprience. I just went around the room under door side. I am probably running over 100' of wire though. Try pullng the wire by making a bend in it, then just make sure your under the carpet pad with fishing line. Clip the ends clean, tape a little ball on the end like a Q-tip. Hope that helps.

Forum Regular

bite the bullet and run them in-wall..

It's kind of a pain but running speaker wire in-wall (if possible) is a much more professional and long term solution. Make sure you buy speaker wire rated for in wall. The alternatives are a little ghetto and something you may find annoying.

Forum Regular
    Thanks guys.
    Marantz SR-18
    Eosone RSF1000's
    Eosone RSC 300 Center
    Eosone RSF 400's
    SVS PC 20-39
    Samsung 42" DLP
    Xbox 360
    PS3 60gig

Mutant from table 9
    Actually, there is quite an easy solution you may be overlooking. If I understand your post correctly, you have a proper door on oneside of the room and a drywall or plaster archway on the other without any casing.

The door you reference on the otherside of the room has casing. Before I cracked open walls, I would pull off that casing and and hide the wire under the casing. Just run the wire up, across, and then down. Then replace the casing. Too me it seems the easier project. This is a totally non-ghetto option.

Also, running wire under carpet is not ideal. It will be tread upon and potentially damaged. There are thresholds available that can be laid over the carpet in the doorway with the speaker wire hidden underneath. Usually carpet will use metal transition strips, but depending on decor, a woodstrip, or threshold, may be less noticeable and less ghetto.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Quote Originally Posted by bubbagump
    It's kind of a pain but running speaker wire in-wall (if possible) is a much more professional and long term solution. Make sure you buy speaker wire rated for in wall. The alternatives are a little ghetto and something you may find annoying.

yeah, we did it in-wall/floor for the surround speakers, worked fine, but the wire broke somewhere between the amp and the speaker and it was stuck, so we had to replace it after all...
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Forum Regular
    Slumpbuster i did exactly what you said on the proper doorway,and on the entrance I cut a very small hole before it then one right in the corner after it and ran the rest under the base board.Presto,no wires!Thanks again!
    Marantz SR-18
    Eosone RSF1000's
    Eosone RSC 300 Center
    Eosone RSF 400's
    SVS PC 20-39
    Samsung 42" DLP
    Xbox 360
    PS3 60gig

AR Newbie Registered Member

Running speaker wires in the wall

Hi. This is my first post on this site.

I'm having a house built and I ran all of my speaker wires in the walls. I've measured the locations where I looped each one and now have to bring the wires out. Here is my question: For my surround and front channels, I would like to just make a small hole (maybe an inch in dia.) and then put in a grommet type of trim that the wires will pass through. The holes will mostly be covered by the speakers, but not entirely. I can't find the trim. I had a professional installer mention it to me, so I know it exists. Anyone know? I will probably use one of the binding post covers for the source connections.

Thread Information