Thread: Dual Concentric

Dual Concentric

What gives with the Dual Concentrics?

KEF, ZU, and Tannoy are popping em out.

What is the sound like. I do not know of any dealer in my area that carries them.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Enochrome View Post
    What gives with the Dual Concentrics?

KEF, ZU, and Tannoy are popping em out.

What is the sound like. I do not know of any dealer in my area that carries them.

I like the sound of the KEF dual concentric drivers. I would love to hear some of the larger Tannoy's. Madisound had a kit with a dual concentric driver I almost purchased.

What I like about the sound is the pinpoint imaging and natural vocals. Some of the earlier KEF's had that cupped hands effect. Since the tweeter's dome and voice coil are centered inside the voice coil of the woofer they mimic a single point source. I wish I could remember what ultimately kept me from buying a pair.

The KEF and Tannoy require crossovers since they are two way concentric drivers. The Zu main driver and other fullnrange driverswith the concentric whizzer cone does not need a crossover. Since the Zu do employ a super tweeter there is probably a circuit to protect the tweeter from lower frequencies.

I need to check out Madisound since winter is coming and I may need a project.
    Last edited by JohnMichael; 09-17-2011 at 12:17 PM.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Check out Madisound for the SEAS Loki kit. The full kit is driver cabinet and crossover. You can buy it without cabinet and build your own for great savings. I am using my iPhone so I cannot add a link. Thanks for rekindling my interest.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I too, was checking out Madisound and felt like doing a project of this matter. I was looking into some Tannoy's, but the price is a little high.

I think it would be a great project, but I have to admit that I am a little nervous about doing the crossover. I think the crossover is the key to a proper design.

Keep me posted if you start a project.

Quote Originally Posted by Enochrome View Post
    I too, was checking out Madisound and felt like doing a project of this matter. I was looking into some Tannoy's, but the price is a little high.

I think it would be a great project, but I have to admit that I am a little nervous about doing the crossover. I think the crossover is the key to a proper design.

Keep me posted if you start a project.

Madisound includes an assembled crossover in the kit. Simply plug the correct leads to the driver and to the speaker binding posts.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular
    While Tannoy and KEF use coaxial speakers Zu does not.

The excellent Zu 10 inch driver is a tricked out Eminence guitar speaker with a machined phase plug. Zu uses no crossovers which would defeat the purpose of a full range driver but it does employ a filter on the tweeter as JM points out.

Here is the link to the kit I think about from time to time.

Seas Loki MKII Coaxial Kit With Cabinet - Each: Madisound Speaker Store
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dual Concentric-loki%2520blk.jpg  
    Last edited by JohnMichael; 09-17-2011 at 06:02 PM.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Oh yeah, I've seen that! That looks like I great project. I think those would have great phase coherence and imaging. I hear that Madisound will custom make crossovers to your specifications of what kind of speakers you are making.

A guy just gave me a pair of Rectilinear Highboys for free because they are in bad shape. I am going to try and restore them (I'll post some picks shortly) I mention this because they have the infamous Philips fullrange mid driver, with the whizzer cone, which I hope will be salvageable.

Thanks JohnMichael for the info and hopefully we both will have a kick*ss project on our hands. I have access to model shop so I might build my own cabs with certain woods. If you'd like, you can send me your choice of wood and design and I can fabricate for you in tandem with mine.

My Snell Type Q's cabinets are made with real wood veneer with matching grain patters and they are stunning.

Forum Regular
    I have the KEF C95 floorstander in the basement HT system. It contains a 8" woofer, 8" mid range with a UniQ polymer dome tweeter built into it (concentric configuration). It has a great midrange and decent highs but lacking the bass thump, which a sub took care of.

Thread Information