Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

re

Humm, I remember DCM having a cheap speaker that had a ton of bass and was load. I would give them a look.
    HT system:
    Marantz SR7001 receiver
    Emotiva UPA-2 Amplifier
    Adcom GDV-870 DVD-A/CD player
    Yamaha S1800 DVD/SACD player
    Panasonic DMP-BD60K blu Ray player
    PSB Image series speakes s/s
    Dayton RSS210HF 8" reference sub
    Hitachi 46" HD projector screen

Forum Regular
    I believe you can still get the "near cult status" Insignia NS-B2111 from BB for around $80 a pair or maybe even less. They probably sound better than anything new you'll find at that price. They can easily be driven by a cheap T-amp. Wish I could have had speakers that good in college.

Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist
    I believe you can still get the "near cult status" Insignia NS-B2111 from BB for around $80 a pair or maybe even less. They probably sound better than anything new you'll find at that price. They can easily be driven by a cheap T-amp. Wish I could have had speakers that good in college.
    I tried those in post #4 and they went over like, well...so anyway, it appears the OP has established a preference for big and loud, as confirmed in post #19.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    I tried those in post #4 and they went over like, well...so anyway, it appears the OP has established a preference for big and loud, as confirmed in post #19.
    Funny, my view goes from post 3 to post 5. Oh, I must have my significance filter on...lol. Ya for some reason we didn't go anywhere with a new option. He hasn't been back in a few days so who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by rob_a
    Humm, I remember DCM having a cheap speaker that had a ton of bass and was load. I would give them a look.
    That would be te "KX" series. Excellent in this application. Big,bad, bright, and bassy. Efficient as all get-out and yet can handle gobs of clean power.

Not the ultimate in accuracy, though, but for dorm speakers, who cares?

Why not use those white van speaker cabinets, and fill em with some decent components and save some money? Parts express has everything you need to replace the crap thats in them. This way you (know) what you have, and gain a little knowledge in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by theebadone
    Why not use those white van speaker cabinets, and fill em with some decent components and save some money? Parts express has everything you need to replace the crap thats in them. This way you (know) what you have, and gain a little knowledge in the process.
    Since good speakers depend on a precarious three-way balance between the bass driver, the crossover, and the enclosure (and possibly the port), odds are that he won't really get much for that $100.

Experience, yes, but better sound, not likely.

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    Since good speakers depend on a precarious three-way balance between the bass driver, the crossover, and the enclosure (and possibly the port), odds are that he won't really get much for that $100.

Experience, yes, but better sound, not likely.
    Check out waveguide speakers. He might even be able to use the woofers he already has, if they check out reasonbly sensitive. (89-92 DB @ 1 watt 1 meter) using those cabinets and building new xos along with a couple of sillenium drivers could yield impressive results. Even for a noob

Whatever.

Do you have any idea of what a "divinchi" speaker is?

I still say it's throwing good money after bad but, hey, to each his own..

BTW, what is a "sillenium" driver? In my 40 years in this hobby, that's a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    Do you have any idea of what a "divinchi" speaker is?

I still say it's throwing good money after bad but, hey, to each his own..

BTW, what is a "sillenium" driver? In my 40 years in this hobby, that's a new one.
    Look at parts express, it is a titanium H.F. radial horn, very much like the very efficient and sought after mantaray horn offered by Altec in their model 14s. And yes i know what a white van speaker is (way too many people do), from what i have seen, the cabinets are actually decent, just need a little upgrading. Are these not the black piano finish towers that come in the divinchi surround package?

Divinchi speakers are garbage, pure and simple. To try to get decent sound from them would cost more than a $100 set of speakers mentioned here, and any of the used name-brand speakers mentioned in this thread would blow it away..

Unless, of course, he just wants to throw money away.

Again, what's a "sillenium" driver?

driver

Speakers >> 1 Inch Horn Drivers
    Selenium D220Ti-8 1" Titanium Horn Driver 8 Ohm 1-3/8"-18
    (21 reviews) See Catalog Page

List Price: $51.00 EA
    Your Price: $43.66 EA (1-3)
    $40.80 EA (4+)

Sku 264-270: In Stock

Qty:

Request a large quantity quote.

No Hassle Returns

Chicago IL
    Get some pioneer like CS-G303 or CS-G403 they are very nice and a lot of power!

So, you finally spelled it right.

,,,and that's only because you copied and pasted and, even then I'm not too sure you even noticed it. That doesn't bode well for your credibility and experience in these matters.

Frankly, the fact that it took two posts for you to (hopefully) see that, I really do question that you should be advising another newbie on how to waste his money.

Rhetoric and dogma runs rampant in this field.

no im not a good speller. mr know it all. how many diy projects have you yourself partaken in sir? and whats wrong with upgrading and learning. anyone can go buy a set of speakers on the local cl. like you yourself is apparently well versed in.dont learn anything (just go buy more junk) at least i suggested an alternative. Other than a simple minded way of viewing a great hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by theebadone
    no im not a good speller. mr know it all. how many diy projects have you yourself partaken in sir? and whats wrong with upgrading and learning. anyone can go buy a set of speakers on the local cl. like you yourself is apparently well versed in.dont learn anything (just go buy more junk) at least i suggested an alternative. Other than a simple minded way of viewing a great hobby.
    Well, I built my first amp with 6L6 tubes from scratch in '63. Before that I repaired radios. Want me to continue?

Spelling or not, One would hope that if you had actual experience with the products you suggested this other newie buy, you would have ordered them, no? And, If nothing else, I would expect that, since you're so familiar with them, you would have learned to at least spell it correctly.

DIY is great, but unless one has an idea what they are doing it can be a tremendous waste of money.I love how you totally ignored the math he would have needed to do it right. Oh, yeah, that's right. You're from the
    "just get something that bolts in" school of thought.

Point blank, If he listened to you he would have thrown his money away. Simply sticking new drivers and crossovers into a pretty but flimsy box is a waste of money.

My opinion stands. You're in over your head.

Be careful when you offer advice. Make sure you at least have an idea of what you're talking about and you're not simply trying to baffle 'em with BS to look kewl. There are more people here that know heckuva lot more than you (and me).

Now, let's put this to bed and just move on, shall we?
    Last edited by markw; 11-23-2009 at 02:27 PM.

Forum Regular
    Hey you guys, whats with hijacking my post? >_< I'm not going to replace the speakers in my divincis..

Anyways I went to good will and picked up a Sony SS CT-301 center channel for $10, and two Sanyo SX-d10 for $5 total. I also bummed a cheaper 8inch sony sub from my neighboor.
    So for $15 my system sounds so much better!

I'm talking to the Cerwin Vega guy about these: http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/ele/1466350616.html
    Im going to go and pick them up tomorrow. I figure I can use the sanyos for the rears, then ill have those Vegas in the front with the sony center and I should be set.

What do you guys think?

I think get rid of the other junk and use the Vegas. However you want an H/T set up also. You will have an oddly proportioned speaker arrangement. Can the amp bypass 5.1 for 2 channel?

Seems like the wheels are set in motion. At this point, set up everything and tell us what YOU think.

Sorry 'bout that. Look at it kinda like writing to "Dear Abby".

Quote Originally Posted by riotact
    Hey you guys, whats with hijacking my post? >_< I'm not going to replace the speakers in my divincis..

Anyways I went to good will and picked up a Sony SS CT-301 center channel for $10, and two Sanyo SX-d10 for $5 total. I also bummed a cheaper 8inch sony sub from my neighboor.
    So for $15 my system sounds so much better!

I'm talking to the Cerwin Vega guy about these: http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/ele/1466350616.html
    Im going to go and pick them up tomorrow. I figure I can use the sanyos for the rears, then ill have those Vegas in the front with the sony center and I should be set.

What do you guys think?
    As for the "hijacking", well, only one person may write to dear abby to ask a question, many, many people will see a similar situation in their lives and may try to apply her advice.

It's best that advice be accurate.

We don't have publishers so we sorta take it upon ourselves to try to prevent bogus or incomplete information from being passed out and taken as gospel.

As to your own situation, well, you got a lot of good advice here and you seem to have a handle on what you want to do. If it sounds good to you, go for it.

Hey you guys, whats with hijacking my post?
    After about a page of posts, threads often take on a life of their own...regardless of the topic. Surely the original question has been answered by then.

Forum Regular
    Ok so the Vegas are awesome! Pretty much exactly what I wanted. For movies the center and rear channel work alright so long as I dont turn it up too much. For music Im just using the vegas though.

I dont even think i need a sub anymore, im still using that sony sub i have though...

One thing i wonder about is how long do speakers last for? He said these are 7 years old.
    What kind of maintenance do speakers need?

Ok so the Vegas are awesome! Pretty much exactly what I wanted. For movies the center and rear channel work alright so long as I dont turn it up too much. For music Im just using the vegas though.

I dont even think i need a sub anymore, im still using that sony sub i have though...

One thing i wonder about is how long do speakers last for? He said these are 7 years old.
    What kind of maintenance do speakers need?
    Don't worry, the speakers will let you know. Just make sure you're not underpowering them or grossly overpowering them. The woofers will need to be re-foamed eventually. this is a process which can be done by you for a nominal cost or sent to a technician for maybe $75 for the pair.

Again, just sit back and enjoy. Sounds like you did good. If everything sounds good then that's all that matters. Not what I think, what anyone here thinks, what some reviewer thinks or anyone else in the world....

just you and your two ears buddy. Hope you stick around and learn some more.

Forum Regular
    There is such thing as under powering speakers? How do I avoid that?

And speaking of building speakers, I saw this link for a box of 4inch speakers on CL:
    http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/ele/1471396608.html

That looks like it could turn into and interesting project to learn something about speakers. If i wanted to build myself some new rears and a center would it be possible with those? Would I use particle board for the cabinets?

There is such thing as under powering speakers? How do I avoid that?

And speaking of building speakers, I saw this link for a box of 4inch speakers on CL:
    http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/ele/1471396608.html

That looks like it could turn into and interesting project to learn something about speakers. If i wanted to build myself some new rears and a center would it be possible with those? Would I use particle board for the cabinets?

Just look at the speakers minimal power rating stay at or above it. don't concern yourself with the max rating.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Last edited by blackraven; 11-24-2009 at 05:12 PM.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP