Forum Regular

Do you use sub in 2 channel???

I am trying to figure out whether or not to use my sub in a two channel set up. It is by no means top of the line but costs around 600. I have b and w's 602 s3 which go down to about 45 hz before rolling off. Just wondering how many of you out there use a sub in your two channel systems?

Forum Regular
    The subwoofer, that is, costs 600. My two channel system is 2500 alone without the sub.
    Using rotel 1080 200 watt amp so I have plenty of power and current.

Depends on your tastes and music you like. I use my sub for 2 channel music but have it crossed over for below 40 htz. My speakers get down below 30 htz on their own. The sub only kicks in when a little extra is needed. Other than that, it keeps it's big mouth shut.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Yes indeed

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmoney
    I am trying to figure out whether or not to use my sub in a two channel set up. It is by no means top of the line but costs around 600. I have b and w's 602 s3 which go down to about 45 hz before rolling off. Just wondering how many of you out there use a sub in your two channel systems?
    I use modest PSB Subsonic 5 to fill in the bottom octave for my Magneplanar MG 1.6QR's. The Maggies run full range; I use 50Hz low-pass on the Subsonic. Integrates pretty well in my room. See the link to my stereo configuration below.

Forum Regular
    I have tried using my sub and the sound does sound better to me with it. I calibrated the sub with my speakers using the rives audio test cd. However, I am using a signal splittter y adpter from my preamp into my sub. Thereby I am sending the signal from the preouts on my rotel preamp using a y adapter and conecting my sub cable to that. Therefore, my sub is being fed all frequencies with no crossover. My sub does not have lline level inputs nor an internal crossover. How can I calibrate my sub without using an internal or external crossover to deal with tones below 60hz. Or will I need a crossover for the set up. My dealer said I don't need a crossover because the sub will pick up where the b and w's roll off, but that sounds risky because it will than still produce tones above 60hz and thereby interfere with the sound of my speakers. How do you all integrate a sub without a crossover?

Forum Regular
    It depends on the music i am listening to, but rarely.Normally only with bass heavy rock as it requires the signal be digitized and that i try to avoid.My speakers will run down to 40hz or a little lower.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Forum Regular
    Would you reccomend getting external crossovers? Where can I find high or low pass filters?

I may be wrong, but I think you'll need a crossover. You may not need one to make it work, but you will need one to make it work well. Without it, your sub will interfere with the sound from your mains as you said.

Oh, Feanor?
    Show-off!
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

What's your sub?

absolutely not. My sub, KSW 12 is adequate at best for movies. Don't think I really even need a sub for music but I might consider it if/when I get a real sub.

Von Schweikert VR4 jr's - 25 Hz
    Mcintosh ML IC's +MQ101 - -20 Hz
    Klipsch KG 4.2's -37 Hz -not the lowest but I don't want to add a sub to my bedroom system.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Would you reccomend getting external crossovers? Where can I find high or low pass filters?
    One source: http://www.partsexpress.com/speaker-building-tab.cfm

Radio shack is another I guess.

I used to use a sub with my MMG's but I dont use one with my MG1.6's.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    In reading the posts of those who do not use subs I notice that your speakers go down to below 40 hz. Some of those mentioned go down to 20 and 27 hz which is much deeper than my speakers can handle alone. My bw 602 s3's roll off at 42 hz. I guess I have two questions. One is that deep enough for accurate stereo. And two, does the fact that my speakers roll off earlier than yours mean that in my case a sub should be used, but in your case your speakers are large enough where a sub isn't needed.

In reading the posts of those who do not use subs I notice that your speakers go down to below 40 hz. Some of those mentioned go down to 20 and 27 hz which is much deeper than my speakers can handle alone. My bw 602 s3's roll off at 42 hz. I guess I have two questions. One is that deep enough for accurate stereo. And two, does the fact that my speakers roll off earlier than yours mean that in my case a sub should be used, but in your case your speakers are large enough where a sub isn't needed.
    I find there are two other potential advantages of using separate subs:

1) Split the power load. Bass impact requires more peak power. When the mains are amplified separately and high pass filtered, clipping at the bottom has no effect on the upper seven octaves.

2) One can EQ the woofer for the flattest overall room response without compromising the signal integrity of the mains, regardless of whether or not your source is analog or digital.

rw

BM, you only need a sub if your not happy with the bass. My Magnepan1.6's go down to 40Hz and maybe a bit lower, but I dont feel that I'm missing anything. Its a personal preference.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

I agree with the personal preference thing. Has a lot to do with the music you listen to as well. I happen to like a lot of electronic music. Can't imagine listening to Massive Attack without some substantial support for the deep bass. Most of my indie rock type music doesn't usually go down far enough for it to be an issue.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Yes, my SVS fills-in what my PSB M2s cannot.

Ajani
    If you like how your sub sounds in your 2 channel setup, then use it... if not, then don't... even though many people really like bookshelf/sub combos, I've yet to hear one that I really liked... I've always prefered floorstanders as I found subs just tended to be boomy and ruined the overall sound for me...

Charm Thai™
    yep, i got it crossed over right around 35-40hz
    Last edited by TheHills44060; 03-16-2008 at 06:57 PM.

I never use a sub for 2 channel music. The sub tends to mess up the music for me. But my listening is mostly Jazz, Classical, Delta Blues, New Age, and Easy listening. I would just get full range floor standers for two channel listening. If you plan on getting a 5.1 system, then I would still get floor standers for the fronts and a sub...that way if you use a reciever, you can still listen in two channel and have the sub for movies or when you need it for music.

frenchmon

Thread Information