• 09-01-2004, 09:08 PM
    enrique
    Def,tech. Powermonitor 500 &700
    Has anyone auditioned either one of the powermonitors.I ave a rotel rsx1056 and want to upgrade my front three spkrs(procinema 100's)in the future.How are the powermonitors in comparison to other spks such as paradigm 20,swan ,onix rocket bookshelfs.thanks
  • 09-03-2004, 05:15 PM
    chimera128
    Best way to find out is to go and listen to them if they are available in your area. I would also listen to other speakers at high end stores in your area. Even though I love DefTech products I listened to everything else available before deciding on buying more DefTech speakers. The dealers got tired of seeing me but I like to be thorough. If you have the space, you may also want to look into DefTechs towers as an alternative. You can get BP30s for around $1100 or so brand new and they have excellent bass performance without having to be plugged into the wall as they do not have built in powered subs. They are efficient so I wouldn't worry about powering the 6 drivers. If I remember correctly they have about the same depth as the Powermonitors so either way they will probably take up the same amount of floor space. The BP10Bs I use for surrounds have better bass performance (tightness... they aren't as powerful on the low end) and midrange performance than the Promonitor100/Prosub 100tl combination I was using before. If you want to have built in powered subs the BP7006 would probably fit the bill. They cost as much as the PM700s but imo are a much better speaker. They use DefTechs latest sub technology and have a more powerful amplifier. This you could probably pick up for around $1000/pair. If you have to stick with a bookshelf speaker, I would buy a couple of nonpowered bookshelfs that you like and purchase a separate sub.
  • 09-03-2004, 05:24 PM
    Geoffcin
    Don't know about the power monitors
    Quote:

Originally Posted by enrique
    Has anyone auditioned either one of the powermonitors.I ave a rotel rsx1056 and want to upgrade my front three spkrs(procinema 100's)in the future.How are the powermonitors in comparison to other spks such as paradigm 20,swan ,onix rocket bookshelfs.thanks

But I'm a fan of powered speakers for HT. My HT mains have self- powered woofers and they can quite literally knock things off the shelves when asked to. To me, most receivers never seem to have enough power for the dynamics of a movie soundtrack. Having self-powered mains frees up a lot of current for the rest of the speakers, and makes your receiver seem a lot more powerful.
  • 09-03-2004, 07:16 PM
    N. Abstentia
    Are the PowerMonitors actually fully powered, or is it just the sub section? It looks like just the sub is powered and the rest still depends on a seperate amp, no?
  • 09-03-2004, 07:58 PM
    chimera128
    The sub section is the only part that is powered in the PM series. In terms of having powered woofers in the mains, I like them also. I'm sure I could literally destroy my house but I'm not sure if that's covered under home owner's insurance.