Connecting external tweeters to normal speakers?

is it possible to connect external tweeters to current speaker setup? I would like to have better trebble in my system without dishing out for a whole new setup. How woudl i go about doing this?

my setup include:

HK AVR130 receiver
    2x MTX Monitor 12
    2x MTX Monitor 10
    1x MTX Monitor 6c
    Velodyne CHT-12

The low end sounds great to me, but the highs could be a big sharper.

Any suggetsions? Thanks!

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Yes, it's possible. Check this out:

http://stereophile.com/artdudleylistening/1104listening

I have no idea whether it's practical/economical for your setup because the only outboard tweeters I've heard of are the "supertweeters" mentioned in the article. Some of the do-it-yourselfers around here may be able to tell you whether you can replace the tweeters in your speakers with more common/less expensive off-the-shelf models.

Forum Regular
    I purchased a pair of Townshend Maximum Super Tweeters at the beginning of January and can honestly say that they have been the most cost effective upgrade I have ever made. Like it says in the linked article these tweeters are well made and built to last, they do something that is almost unbelievable, they actually make the bass clearer as well as giving voices a stunning realism, my system has been in a constant state of flux as I searched for the magic ingredient that would finally transport me to audio heaven, I have now stopped looking as I have found the missing link in the Townshends. I bought them direct from Townshend in the UK, they were very helpful and gave me the tweeters on an extended home audition, if I did not like the effect I simply had to return them in their original package, however, as soon as I hooked them into my setup I knew thyat I was going to be spending £800.00 to keep them. I can only reccommend them to anyone who recognises the endless search syndrome.
    Sagem HD45S, Yamaha RX-V2400RDS, Denon DVD 3910, Arcam CD 23T, PS 3, Kef Q7 + Townshend Maximum Super Tweeters Front, Kef iQ6C Center, Kef Q7 Side and Kef Q55.2 Rear Surrounds, Velodyne SPL800R, Kimber Power Kords, Kimber Select KS1011 Interconect CD to Amp, Kimber Tonic interconnects all other sources Kimber 8 PR Speaker Kable, Soundstyle Equipment Rack

hmmm, one of thoes things costs as much as all my speakers put together.... thanks for the help though. any alternatives to this?

Forum Regular
    Are you looking to replace the tweeters in your current system? You may want to take a look at replacing the tweeter in your system now rather than adding more tweeters. I don't know what tweeters you have but take a look at madisound.com or speakercity and see if you can find some tweeters that may fit your enclosure that would be better quality and then swap them out. Adding another set of tweeters can be done but may be a little goofy. You would have to drill holes into your enclosure to run wires, open up your enlcosure, dig through all the baffling and hope to find the crossover and then solder the tweeter to the terminals, it would be a little tough but can be done.

Forum Regular

I have an idea...

Quote Originally Posted by bjornb17
    is it possible to connect external tweeters to current speaker setup? I would like to have better trebble in my system without dishing out for a whole new setup. How woudl i go about doing this?

my setup include:

HK AVR130 receiver
    2x MTX Monitor 12
    2x MTX Monitor 10
    1x MTX Monitor 6c
    Velodyne CHT-12

The low end sounds great to me, but the highs could be a big sharper.

Any suggetsions? Thanks!
    ...that won't break the bank.

On eBay, there are a few Radio Shack/Realistic supertweeters for sale that you can simply perch on top of your existing speaker. I tried these about 25 years ago, and they added a slight abience or presence that wasn't there. The items on sale at the moment look new in the box... they are round with a flat base. I believe (IIRC) I had the square model... roughly the same thing.

I searched under "super tweeter", and that got 30 hits. Again, the ones from Rat Shack are the models I'm referring to.

I can't be positive this will do it for you, but at least it'll only cost $20 or $30 to find out. The sonic differences were slight but noticeable.

Good luck...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

are those the ones you are talking about?

How do i go about connecting them without changing the ohms?

Forum Regular

Yup...

Quote Originally Posted by bjornb17
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

are those the ones you are talking about?

How do i go about connecting them without changing the ohms?
    ...them be the ones.

Simply connect them, (+) and (-), to your speaker.

From what I remember, they didn't change sound quality at all... I wouldn't worry.

For maybe $15, it'll be worth a shot!

It wont change teh speaker impedance to 4 ohms from 8 ohms by doing that?

Forum Regular
    Tweeters don't really effect your impedance. You'll still be at 8 ohms. However, I would run far, far away from radio shack super tweeters. I tried those a few summers ago because they were on clearance just for kicks on a box I was building and they sound as cheap as they are to buy.

Thread Information