Marriage+HiFi don't mix! Registered Member

Question Compiling a shortlist to audition.....

Ok, I am compiling a short list of floor standing speakers at around the £1000 ($2000) price point to go with:

Cyrus CD8x + PSX-R
    Cyrus 8vs + PSX-R
    Cyrus Smartpower+

I listen to Rock, blues, folk, classical - pretty varied - in a medium sized (for London!) room (23'x17') so I want a good allrounder.

Suggestions please.

Forum Regular
    I myself like the sound of the MartinLogan Montage. It is $1400 in the US, and likely will be slightly higher where you are. The sound is enveloping and smooth. However, it has the "planar" sound...IE: small, but wonderful sweet spot.

I would also throw in the Onix Strata Mini, available at av123.com

http://www.av123.com/products_produc...s&product=78.1

paradigm studio series (imo rev 3 sounds a bit better than rev 4), focal jm lab Chorus 800 V series, focal jm lab profile series,
    If you are looking for used, focal jm lab electra S series or cobalt S series
    HT: Anthem AVM 50 / PVA-7; Focal JM Lab 4x Chorus 716 S, CC 700 S, 2x Chorus 706S; 2x 12s - Homebuilt Sub
    2CH: B&K PT3 s2, Anthem PVA-2, VonSchweikert VR-1
    Computer: Denon AVR 2805, Old Tecnic & Optimus Speakers
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    2002 Single Cab, 3" cornfed lift, 34"LTB & 31" AT's
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

spf
    Canuck AV Nut
    A second vote for the v3 of the Paradigm Studio series. A pair of Studio 60s would be very nice for your setup. If you want a huge sweetspot, you can also look at multidirectional (bipolar or dipolar, omnipolar, etc.) speakers from companies like Definitive Technology, Mirage, Martin-Logan and Quad. Cheers!

Shane

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by spf
    If you want a huge sweetspot, you can also look at multidirectional (bipolar or dipolar, omnipolar, etc.) speakers from companies like Definitive Technology, Mirage, Martin-Logan and Quad. Cheers!
    Shane
    Since when does an electrostatic (MartinLogan) speaker have a huge sweetspot? I used to own a pair, and know several people that own them. The sweetspot isn't BAD, but it is FAR from huge... now the soundstage on the other hand... THAT is huge :-P

Quote Originally Posted by markl1712
    Ok, I am compiling a short list of floor standing speakers at around the £1000 ($2000) price point to go with:

Cyrus CD8x + PSX-R
    Cyrus 8vs + PSX-R
    Cyrus Smartpower+

I listen to Rock, blues, folk, classical - pretty varied - in a medium sized (for London!) room (23'x17') so I want a good allrounder.

Suggestions please.

You might want to consider looking into a used pair of Legacy Audio Signature IIIs. These may be hard to come by in the UK, however (as they are US based), but $2000 used is around the going rate if you can. These are excellent all-arounders that should fit your needs nicely.

A possibility new would be some Consonance Eric-3s... I think they might be a bit smallish for your room size and may not get as low as you would like for Rock. Still at about $1800/pr. new they are quite the bargain, and one of the few floorstanders I can recommend in your price range (new).

Good luck,

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

nightflier
    Definitely add the Magnepan 1.6's to your list. I've heard them at other people's houses and must say, there is not much else out there at $1700US that comes close. If you're more into boxes, you should give Quad a listen. I have a pair of the 22L's and they are excellent performers (and they will save you a bit of money, too).

One the other hand, I don't think the Definitive Technology are your best choice for 2-channel stereo. Definitely movie-oriented speakers.

Thread Information