Forum Regular

Best monitor for playing loud

Looking for a monitor $1000-2000 range that does all the things we want, but most important to me is can it play rock with ease at really loud levels without the woofer breaking up like so many do. I would like to run it full-not crossed over with my sub if you get my meaning. Is there something out there like this or am I wishful thinking? I was considering the Von Schweikert VR1 or some of the Proac's,

Thanks

If output is your goal, then maybe you should go straight to the live concert rig monitors. The JBL Vertec monitors can each belt out over 135 db, and their efficiency is 116 db in the high frequency driver (i.e. ONE watt will drive them to that output level).

http://www.jblpro.com/vertec1/new_vertec/vt4889.html

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    If output is your goal, then maybe you should go straight to the live concert rig monitors. The JBL Vertec monitors can each belt out over 135 db, and their efficiency is 116 db in the high frequency driver (i.e. ONE watt will drive them to that output level).

http://www.jblpro.com/vertec1/new_vertec/vt4889.html
    JBL as some very serious equipment.Their the leader in the Pro Application.

Forum Regular

Uh! can we split the difference here?

Quote Originally Posted by PAT.P
    JBL as some very serious equipment.Their the leader in the Pro Application.
    Thanks but this doesn't really address my query. I talking 14' by 11.5' room here. The challenge is: Is there a small bookshelf bullet proof monitor that handles power well without breaking up? and has all the audiophile stuff we covet. I already own a big rig horn system and it does not work in this room.

Thanks Again

Quote Originally Posted by heywood
    Thanks but this doesn't really address my query. I talking 14' by 11.5' room here. The challenge is: Is there a small bookshelf bullet proof monitor that handles power well without breaking up? and has all the audiophile stuff we covet. I already own a big rig horn system and it does not work in this room.

Thanks Again
    You could look at Behringer they have monitor that are active.There also Alesis that make active Monitor.Behringer site is at www.Behringer.comAnd if you want loud take a glance at Mackie at www.mackie.com beware this our not neighbour friendly.There also JBL MPro,Electrovoice,Yorkville all of these are use in Clubs,Bar ect,ect
    Last edited by PAT.P; 11-08-2005 at 10:40 PM.

Well i know nothing in your price range that could do most of what your looking for. How about a old Klipsch Cornwall? Use the room walls as extended horns, feed them 3 watts and blow yourself out of the seat. I wouldnt touch the newer Klipsch stuff but their older stuff that Paul Klipsch designed kicked serious butt!
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Thanks Again
    Hi,
    Take a look at the ATC range. They can be driven active and they go loud.

Peace

Bernd
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

Question Confused...

Looking for a monitor $1000-2000 range that does all the things we want, but most important to me is can it play rock with ease at really loud levels without the woofer breaking up like so many do. I would like to run it full-not crossed over with my sub if you get my meaning. Is there something out there like this or am I wishful thinking? I was considering the Von Schweikert VR1 or some of the Proac's,

Thanks
    Are you using the term "monitor" in the british sense of the word, i.e a bookshelf speaker or larger for sound reproduction? Or are you using it in the U.S. sense of the word a speaker designed for professional music sound reproduction or studio work?

Da Worfster

Forum Regular

British Monitor Sense, yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    Are you using the term "monitor" in the british sense of the word, i.e a bookshelf speaker or larger for sound reproduction? Or are you using it in the U.S. sense of the word a speaker designed for professional music sound reproduction or studio work?

Da Worfster
    Sorry about that. I'll clarify. My first speaker I ever owned was Rogers LS35A. Not bad for a young budding audiophile, huh? I guess like your first all time favorite album the memories just never leave you. The Rogers were as we all know famous for doing so many things right and very little wrong, compared to big or little speakers. One aspect that sticks out in my memory is it's unrelenting ability to handle power with out too much breaking up. Not that it didn't have it's limits mind you. Original models are all but impossible to locate, and if you do they are pretty used or beat up. Besides the monitors of today do offer much more in terms of imaging, sound-staging, clarity, accuracy, etc...
    They're just so many models it's hard to ferret out that special one at a reasonable price.
    I know this is THE dilemma we all deal with. Sorry to be so wordy.

Many thanks to all that have responded.

Heywood

Forum Regular
    Heywood - being partial to Paradigm speakers, I think the Studio 40 V3s would be great, as long as you have the juice to drive them. If your amplifier can output 150w per channel, you're golden. As for your horn speakers, that's just a limitation of any large speaker in a small space - they're really not designed for that use. If you're willing to spend even more money, you can even go with the Paradigm Signature S2 / S4; they cost a fair bit more, but sound fantastic and will take power galore.

Dustin Broke is hot!!! SpankingVanillaice's Avatar
    Heres a bookshelf speakers I really recommend since both sound and power is good. Plus it goes up to 40kHz.

JBL L830

If you want more power and clear sound too get this.

JBL L890

Dustin Broke is hot!!! SpankingVanillaice's Avatar
    Try one of these powerful JBL speakers too.

Project Array loudspeakers

Thread Information