Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Choosing new Floor Standing Speakers

The current situation: Yamaha HTR-5760 110x7 receiver, Philips SACD/DVD/CD player, Denon DP-45 TT, Infinity Delta 60 (x4 - LR, SL, SR), Infinity Delta Center.

The Deltas are great, but they're *huge* and I know there's better sounding speakers out there. I'd like to upgrade sound but downgrade size. Sound quality *and* aesthetic beauty are important to me (these will be part of a modern living room environment). My target is $1500 for the front LR, maybe up to $2000 if I can justify it.

What I've auditioned:
    Monitor Audio RS-6 | $1000/pair | Beautiful rosenut cabinets and aluminum woofers! Great, warm, full sound from a *tiny* floor standing box. Imaging is decent. A little lacking in bass "oomph"

Monitor Audio RS-8 | $1500/pair | Same beautiful cabinet and imaging, but with fuller, more dynamic sound, but not as rich of a midrange as RS-6. Fantastic bass for what's still a small tower.

B&W 704 | $2200/pair | Nice rosewood finish. Interesting cabinet design - I'm not sure if I like it or not - yellow kevlar woofer is a little weird looking. Fantastic sound, imagine, and rich midrange. Lacks bass oomph. Corresponding center/surround speakers a bit weird / expensive.

Paradigm Studio 60 v.3 | $1700/pair | Also available in a rosewood finish - although not as bright and glossy as the MA's. Beautiful sound - almost as good as the B&W's. Most bass oomph of the bunch. Front black fascia & drivers are a bit ugly.

Martin Logan Clarity | $2600/pair | Cool-looking speakers - unique. I always dreamed of owning Electrostats as a kid. Wide open sound - most lifelike of the bunch. Lacks bass extension (has mid-bass oomph, though), finicky with positioning, expensive to setup as 5.1 system, towers are "visually" very big (biggest of the group). Also very expensive. No rosewood finish available.

B&W XT4 | $2500/pair (going on sale, though...) | Awesome-looking - super slim and sleek. Sound is "narrower" - lacks bass extension and midrange is more closed. Very cool aluminum finish (& matching surround speakers)

Paradigm Monitor 7 | $1100/pair | not much to say... may as well buy the studio 60's...

DefTech something... (big black monolith thing) | $1000/pair | big, powerful bass (powered sub), somewhat more ambient sound from bipole (but not a "good" ambient like the Martin Logans). Great HT speaker, but otherwise uninspiring (and big and ugly!)

Can you get a feel for what I'm looking for?? I'm looking for other suggestions on what to audition or research on.

Any help is much appreicated - thanks!!

have you tried klipsch?? i heard they're good, they have alot of speakers but if you don't like one, you probalby don't like the rest of them too.

the b&w's are really good speakers, the design is made to minimize noise, that's why they put the tweeter on top of the box. we have the dm604's they sound really good too and they come at $1300 for a pair or something. decision is up to you, i'm sure that alot of other guys will answer this.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Forum Regular
    I'll put in my obligatory plug for the Quad 22L. Available in rosewood, not too big, lots of bass and the price ($1600 retail but available for less if you look around) is right.

EDIT: And the matching center channel is reasonably priced.

You should also see how you like the Boston Acoustics in your price range. I believe something like the vrm 90 would be worth checking out.

Get the Martin Logan's. It seems as if you like their sound. You yourself say "most lifelike of the bunch". If you find the bass to be inadequate you can always add a sub woofer. That lifelike sound is the signature of all ESL's. IMHO ESL's get the human voice, especially female right. Nothing else even comes close except Apogees and Magneplanars.

If your room is smaller than the demo room the bass you get will be better than the demo room. So, you may not need a sub woofer. Only a demo in your room will allow you to check this. Of course, a home demo is desirable no matter what you buy.

You might want to give Magneplanar MG 1.6QR's a listen. They sound a lot like the ML's and are in the price range you specified <$2000. They also may need a sub woofer for the extreme low end.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfanga
    I'll put in my obligatory plug for the Quad 22L. Available in rosewood, not too big, lots of bass and the price ($1600 retail but available for less if you look around) is right.

EDIT: And the matching center channel is reasonably priced.
    Nice, although aesthetically I like the Monitor Audios better, it' just a matter of finding a pair of these to audition for comparison in sound quality.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    Get the Martin Logan's. It seems as if you like their sound. You yourself say "most lifelike of the bunch". If you find the bass to be inadequate you can always add a sub woofer. That lifelike sound is the signature of all ESL's. IMHO ESL's get the human voice, especially female right. Nothing else even comes close except Apogees and Magneplanars.

If your room is smaller than the demo room the bass you get will be better than the demo room. So, you may not need a sub woofer. Only a demo in your room will allow you to check this. Of course, a home demo is desirable no matter what you buy.

You might want to give Magneplanar MG 1.6QR's a listen. They sound a lot like the ML's and are in the price range you specified <$2000. They also may need a sub woofer for the extreme low end.
    Intriguing, and I like the fact that they're rosewood w/ silver grills. However, they're giant (although thin) - 64" x 20"! I doubt that would pass the GF factor... They would also be blocking a significant part of my view out the windows... (can you see through them if you take the grill off??)

i have to plug the Vandersteen 2ce Signature's. very well balanced from top to bottom, doesnt lack for anything in any part of the sound. comes in at around $1700, not too big and looks that never go out of style.
    AR MGC-1, AR C225 PS, M&K V-1B, Pioneer VSX 47TX, Oppo BDP-83, Squeezebox v3, Vortexbox Appliance.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by dingus
    i have to plug the Vandersteen 2ce Signature's. very well balanced from top to bottom, doesnt lack for anything in any part of the sound. comes in at around $1700, not too big and looks that never go out of style.
    Thanks for the suggestion - not quite the style i'm going for, though.

Thanks

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    I agree with Joe on his take on ESLs and their attributes, and would just add that if I were in the market for a $1500-$2000 speaker I would strongly consider used equipment. Speakers especially have a long life and refurbing them when the time comes is comparatively inexpensive. For 2k you might find a set of MLs and a decent sub.
    In any case, several speakers that you listed don't provide the easiest loads to drive so you may need to budget for additional amplification at some point...

Good luck and keep us posted...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    I agree with Joe on his take on ESLs and their attributes, and would just add that if I were in the market for a $1500-$2000 speaker I would strongly consider used equipment. Speakers especially have a long life and refurbing them when the time comes is comparatively inexpensive. For 2k you might find a set of MLs and a decent sub.
    In any case, several speakers that you listed don't provide the easiest loads to drive so you may need to budget for additional amplification at some point...

Good luck and keep us posted...
    Agreed... I baerly missed a pair of Clarities on Ebay for under 2k...

Regarding amp power, I'd rather not go separates.. at least not for a while. That was my only concern with the MLs (and especially for the Magnepans..)

edit: I'm happy with my Yammie receiver and the simplicity an all-in-one receiver affords. The manual states that it is 4 ohm stable and outputs 110x7 @ 8ohm (I believe it's roughly 150x7 @ 4ohm)

Forum Regular
    Any comments on Focal?

I found the Profile 918 while searching online - gorgeous looking speaker

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Yeah, I like Focal, definitely put it on your short list and audition.

I also second the Quad 22L recommendation. Gorgeous in rosewood (7 layers of lacquer!). Plus it sounds fine, too.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular
    The foca-jm labs are outstanding speakers,but i think the profile series is above your price range.I have a full 5.1 cobalt series set up and i am very happy with them.They look good and sound great.Just a word of warning however,Focal speakers are a little on the bright side and are very revealing,so matching them with a Yamaha reciever may not work out that well.

bill

Since you appear to be open to used floorstanders, I recommend you be on the lookout for a pair of Sonus Faber Grand Piano Homes on audiogon.com. They are good looking, but also deliver the goods on the sonics too. Usually these guys go for $2200-2300 used, but occasionally you can find them for 2K/pr. like here: http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ull&1162276767

One disclaimer: I have no association with the seller of the product on Audiogon... I just did a quick search and found them.

Good luck,

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

RGA
    Forum Regular
    The best advice is to keep looking. You have a big list - when one actually impresses you a LOT the others will fall into the camp of "what did I ever see in those to start with." You have listened a lot which is good -- but there are hundreds of other companies -- listen to some of those - you might be surprised.

Good list and suggestions so far. It appears you prefer narrow baffle speakers with perhaps a modern touch. Some suggestions for audition:

Def Tech Mythos - monopole, not bipole.

Vienna Acoustics Schonberg

Von Schweikert VR2 (on the left)

Polk LSi15

NHT ST4

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. You might also try this thread in which we polled everyone for speakers they thought offered the best bang for the buck under $2K.

Hope this helps.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    The best advice is to keep looking. You have a big list - when one actually impresses you a LOT the others will fall into the camp of "what did I ever see in those to start with." You have listened a lot which is good -- but there are hundreds of other companies -- listen to some of those - you might be surprised.
    The problem is finding speakers to audition... Other than Definitive Audio and Magnolia Hi-Fi, I'm not sure where else to look in the Seattle area.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Good list and suggestions so far. It appears you prefer narrow baffle speakers with perhaps a modern touch. Some suggestions for audition:

Def Tech Mythos - monopole, not bipole.

Vienna Acoustics Schonberg

Von Schweikert VR2 (on the left)

Polk LSi15

NHT ST4

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. You might also try this thread in which we polled everyone for speakers they thought offered the best bang for the buck under $2K.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Yes, you're right, I love that slim narrow baffle look. I believe the B&W XT4's are the best sound for slim design, my goal is to audition them more carefully in comparison to the Studio 60's and Monitor Audios (my current "best bang for the buck" selections)

The Mythos are beautiful, but I've haven't heard good things about them - soudwise. Maybe I'll check them out.

Forum Regular
    How about the Wharfedale Pacifica Evo-400?

http://www.iagamerica.com/wharfedale/pacific.htm

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronning
    The problem is finding speakers to audition... Other than Definitive Audio and Magnolia Hi-Fi, I'm not sure where else to look in the Seattle area.
    The thing to do is pick some companies that list dealers in your area, even if you don't like that particular dealer. Chances are, that dealer will stock other brands as well. Dynaudio, for example, yields Experience Audio, which you should visit.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Quote Originally Posted by ronning
    How about the Wharfedale Pacifica Evo-400?

http://www.iagamerica.com/wharfedale/pacific.htm
    I've only heard the big Warfie Opus and that was a pretty good all around speaker. I believe they use the ATC mid-range driver and the integration between tweeter and mid was exceptional. They didn't have nearly the dynamic range of the VR2, but very few speakers do. Decent bang for the buck and you can get them online from audioadvisor.com, a site with a 30 day audition period.

Linear Guy

audition these perhaps

They are weird, but so are you. Just kidding. They sound great and they are not for everyone. But the style is distinctive and if you don't like them without grilles, the grilles are beautiful semi-transparent black. A bit pricey new but mybe in your range slightly used. good luck to you.

http://www.roundsound.com/reference-speakers.htm

Forum Regular
    re: Anthony Gallo

I saw these a while back while searching online.. my initial response was "wow, cool", but after consideration, they're just weird but not really beautiful.

Forum Regular
    After some extensive auditioning yesterday, I've narrowed down my choices to the following:

B&W 704
    Martin Logan Clarity
    B&W XT4
    Monitor Audio RS8

The top 2 have the best sound, the bottom 2 have the best looks (and still very very good sound). The MAs are obviously the cheapest (and can be found on the internet for really cheap).

Next up: Dali, Snell, and Wharfedale (if I can find them...)

I saw the Maggies up close and in person - I didn't realize how big they are! They're just giant black monoliths.. exactly what I'm trying to avoid. Although I do like how *thin* they are. The other problem is I would need improved amplification to run them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information