Forum Regular

best budget speaker under 2k?

It seems that the paradigm studio 20 is the popular pick for budget speaker under a grand, I was wondering if there is a similar crowd pleaser in the under 2K range? Any thoughts appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by funnyhat
    It seems that the paradigm studio 20 is the popular pick for budget speaker under a grand, I was wondering if there is a similar crowd pleaser in the under 2K range? Any thoughts appreciated!
    Are you just looking for a pair of bookshelf speakers? If so, there are plenty to consider, such as Totem Rainmaker, B&W 601 or 602, Dynaudio Audience 52 or 52se, Vienna Acoustics Hayden, and plenty of others I've never heard of.

Here are a few to try....

Best Bang for the Buck Speakers?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    does limiting it to bookshelf models narrow it down?

If we are talking new mini-monitors, then I would say the Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitors at $1825/pr. (although frequently sold for $1600/pr.) are my choice (no surprise there)...

Others that I also liked quite a bit are the Spendor Classic Series 3/1P ($1800/pr.) and the Ellis Audio 1801B ($1600/pr.).

---Dave
    Last edited by drseid; 02-28-2006 at 04:14 PM.
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    The Monitor Audio RS6 just got an excellent review in the latest issue of Stereophile. If I were in the market for any speaker under $2K, I would seriously consider auditioning the RS6.
    http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/produ...series/rs6.htm

Polkyphil38
    I would have to agree with Dr Seid and recommend the Taylo Reference Monitors. I have had the opportunity to hear them first hand at Tyler Acoustics and w/o a doubt they were incredible sounding. If I had that much money to spend (2k) I would have to own a set of Taylos. The Linbrook Sigs are even better but are $3200 a set and IMHO worth every penny of it.
    REMEMBER "THE ABSOLUTE BEST SPEAKER(S) IS THE ONE THAT SOUNDS BEST TO YOU." ONLY YOU KNOW WHAT YOU LIKE AND WHAT YOU PREFER. IT REALLY IS AS SIMPLE AS THAT. HAPPY HUNTING!!!!

Well, of course it narrows it down, but consider this: you will probably get a "better" bookshelf speaker for that budget as a category than you can get a floorstander for that money as a cateogory of speaker. In other words, $2k will buy you a number of floorstanders, but they won't be nearly as good within that category as the same budget in the bookshelf category.

Caveat edit: floorstanders have more bass, of course, than bookshelf models.

I don't really know the price, but i think the used VMPS 626R is in that area, and is fanatastic!
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

I thought you had a bad experience with VMPS?

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Do you want a crowd pleaser or a speaker that you will like? That's not always the same.

What kind of music do you listen to - what do you want it to do? Music or home theater or both.

Some good suggestions are out there so far. But it will depend on your room your tastes as well. If for example you were going to listen in a smallmedium room and listen in the nearfield I might suggest the PMC TB 2. If you liked a smoother relaxing speaker I might suggest the Gershman Acoustics X-1.

But the best thing is to use your own two ears listen to as MUCH as you humanly can -- not just those that get endless press inserts in every magazine. You may be very pleasantly surprised at what lurks in relative obscurity.

golden ear
    youll never go wrong with the paradigm studio 20

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    I thought you had a bad experience with VMPS?
    Oh yes, the RM30 is awfull..But the 626 model is quite good actually and will most definetly comepete with all others named here. I suggest he check it out, their is a audition list on audiocircle.com

;-)
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Too bad!!

Otherwise there is a huge consituency that would say that the Magneplanar MG 1.6QR's are the best <$2k speakers.

But these are by no means "bookshelf", plus a couple other caveats pertain to these planar speakers.

Has anyone tried the KEF Q11's?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    Paradigm Signature S2. It's really a first class monitor speaker. It's definitely on my short list for my next speaker purchase--and it's a very short list. Here's some links to some reviews:

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/p...gnature_s2.htm

http://stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/705paradigm/

There's some other speakers I would like to audition under good circumstances--notably the PSB Platinum M2, but I haven't heard them under good circumstances. They are also more expensive.

I am not concentrating on larger speakers because I have a good subwoofer.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for all tips so far. Right now this is just wishful thinking, but I hope to some day upgrade from my studio 20's (which I do love) to a more highend bookshelf. I know there is a similar thread right now, but I am wondering how people feel on the tyler acoustic reference monitor vs. N805 vs. Signature 2. Any ideas greatly appreciated. If it matters I listen primarily to classical music.

As an owner of the Taylos this will sound highly suspicious, but...

I have heard all three and quite frankly it was not even close to my ears. The Taylos are faster, have better resolution, higher quality bass, midrange and highs and have far better drivers, crossover components and overall build quality than the other two (not to imply the others build quality isn't also good). Classical is my music of choice as well, BTW (but I also listen to a lot of female vocals like Allison Krauss and Union Station and Fiona Apple). After the Taylos out of the other two, I would probably go with the S2s (I am not a big fan of the N805s).

A better comparison IMO would be the Taylos against something like the Ellis 1801Bs, Spendor 3.1Ps, or Green Mountain Audio Callistos in no particular order. These are all good competitors to the Taylos, and would give them a very good competition (they all are superb mini-monitors, IMO... I prefer the Taylos, but could definitely see someone going with any one of them in the 2.2K/pr. new or less range, depending on their tastes).

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD

Office:

Ya may want to give these a try.Dannie Richie of GR Research designed them.
    http://www.av123.com/products_produc...s&product=82.1

Quote Originally Posted by 46minaudio
    Ya may want to give these a try.Dannie Richie of GR Research designed them.
    http://www.av123.com/products_produc...s&product=82.1
    I don't know if they are the "best" under 2K/pr., but under *$200* they seem like they would be tough to beat on value for the money... Dannie Richie knows how to squeeze out every ounce of performance possible from a budget design, no doubt. They kind of remind me of his AV-1 design, but with a better cabinet...

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD

Office:

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Otherwise there is a huge consituency that would say that the Magneplanar MG 1.6QR's are the best <$2k speakers.
    Constituent reporting for duty.
    There's an audiophile born every minute. Congratulations; you're right on time.

FREE RADICAL RADIO: Hours of free, radical MP3s!

Thread Information