Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Carver Amazing Speakers

Hello people,

I just got used Carver speakers. I never had chance to hear Carver speakers and I really like the sound. But after five minutes of playing, both speakers stop working. Any idea why? Is there any fuse or something like that?
    I'm going to appriciate any help.
    Thanks
    Nash

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    What amp are you using to drive the speakers? Sounds like an amp went into a protective mode if they both stopped working.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Forum Regular
    Yamaha HTR-5890...but receiver working with other speakers.
    Look like I blow speakers...I'm so sad. They sounded very good

Not necessarily

Quote Originally Posted by mavava
    JM's point is that your particular receiver might not like these particular speakers -- without either being permanently damaged. The receiver might be able to shut itself down if it senses the speakers are drawing too much current for it to handle.

Look for fuses on the Carver and change them with new, identical ones. And/or borrow another, preferably high-grade receiver or amplifier and try the speakers again.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

I have a hard time thinking you blew both speakers. I think the speakers are causing your receiver to shut down. Try the Carvers alone with the receiver if you had others hooked up. Also make sure the Carver's are wired properly. If you know someone who might have a more powerful amp ask them if they could bring that over and see if the Carver's will work. I had a neighbor who owned a pair and they seemed very durable.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

JM got it right. It sounds like your receiver has gone into the protection mode. The Carvers are great speakers, but they are also very demanding on amps. First thing you need to do is go into your receiver's setup menu and set the impedance to the lower setting. Even after doing that, you probably need an outboard amp to keep the receiver from constantly shutting down given how much of a load the Carvers put on your system.
    Last edited by Woochifer; 03-08-2007 at 09:39 AM.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Forum Regular
    I tryed with another receiver and...still. I tryed to connect one Cerwin Vega to left chanel and Carver to another. Still...Vega works, Carver not. Actualy, when I put my ear close to speaker. I can hear very...very low sound.
    I have only one option left, as Feanor says, look for the speaker fuses. Those speakers are different shape. Like two doors. I'm not sure, this speakers have any fuse? Doesen't look they have it.

Thank You to all good people tryed to help me
    Nash

check on the crossover for the fuses...
    HT: Anthem AVM 50 / PVA-7; Focal JM Lab 4x Chorus 716 S, CC 700 S, 2x Chorus 706S; 2x 12s - Homebuilt Sub
    2CH: B&K PT3 s2, Anthem PVA-2, VonSchweikert VR-1
    Computer: Denon AVR 2805, Old Tecnic & Optimus Speakers
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    2002 Single Cab, 3" cornfed lift, 34"LTB & 31" AT's
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

That speaker requires serious amplification along the lines of over 500 watts into 8ohms, and not from AV Receivers ;-) Let me know if you sell them.

Cheers
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

yeah, get more power,
    non receiver power, and definately not yamaha power...
    is your amp hot when the speakers stop playing?
    or it could be that you blew a fuse, because the amp clipped...
    in this case, search fuse, replace it, and get more power...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Forum Regular
    Unfortenately, I don't have anything more powerful then Yamaha.
    Any afordable sugustion?
    I'm going to look for fuse(s) I'm really looking forward to hear this speakers.
    Thanks
    Nash

if you can hear a faint sound it means that the amp can BARELY power the speakers, like the others said, get a better amp.

Forum Regular
    I don't know much about amp. Can you list some of amp. which going to enough powerful for this speakers? Then I can ask friends to borow and test speakers.
    Yamaha, what I have, has 140w rms per chanel....what else I can looking for?

Romanticist Philosopher

Smile I like the Behringer EP2500

Unfortenately, I don't have anything more powerful then Yamaha.
    Any afordable sugustion?
    I'm going to look for fuse(s) I'm really looking forward to hear this speakers.
    Thanks
    Nash
    It is a very rugged (especially for home use) Pro DJ amp that is 450 watts RMS/average continuous output into 8 ohms stereo. I don't think that amp would have a problem. If your budget is tight than it might do the trick. Near 500 watts per channel with just .1% distortion is great for only about $300 or so. The only real downside at that price is the active fan it uses for cooling is a little bit noisy but not at all audible during most listening situations. Personally, I don't care about the fan noise. My PC has six cooling fans that are much louder and they are barely audible when you have music, movies, or games going.

If you decide to go that route and run into an annoying 60hz hum problem get ground loop isolators to kill that right away. I'm using RCA ground loop isolators from Radio Shack and a coax type isolator from Axiom. An RCA isolator connects between your source and your amp. A coax isolator connects between the cable in and the input on your cable box if you have one. Here are the links.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

http://axiomaudio.com/groundisolator.html

good idea robert, i was going to look up a behringher myself for this thread, but looks like i was beat...

and someone with a personal experience with it, even better!

Romanticist Philosopher

Smile Be patient. I think they are backordered.

Quote Originally Posted by audio_dude
    good idea robert, i was going to look up a behringher myself for this thread, but looks like i was beat...

and someone with a personal experience with it, even better!
    I love them absolutely. I just ordered 4 of them on monday from this little place in Brooklyn, NY called Focus Camera. The website is focuscamera.com and they currently have the lowest price on the net at just about $260 plus shipping and tax if you are in NY. Anyhow they sound so good for the money it is ridiculous. When I get my last four that will bring my total to 8 of them in my home theater.(I use 8 because I have two speakers for every channel, four is enough for good sound) I ordered 4 for the rears that so that all the channels will have identical sonic characteristics and equivalent gain so I don't have to get crazy fiddling with volume settings.(I know you don't "need" 900 watts for every rear channel) Anyhow hang in there when and if you order because especially if you want several of these it seems that everybody is having trouble stocking these. I emailed Focus about my order so we will see what happens. When they had the 2 I ordered a few months ago they came right away. Oh, you will need to get RCA to 1/4" adapters to connect RCA cables to EP2500s. They only have 1/4" connectors. Luckily Radio Shack has them for just a few dollars each adapter. Enjoy.

Forum Regular
    Thanks people. You are helping me to understand more. Now I know why low sound from speakers. Now I know what I looking for. I don't really care about fan noise! Let's listen music!
    Thanks one more time!

Romanticist Philosopher

My order shipped yesterday

Thanks people. You are helping me to understand more. Now I know why low sound from speakers. Now I know what I looking for. I don't really care about fan noise! Let's listen music!
    Thanks one more time!
    I guess they were not backordered. Woohoo!!! Good luck.

For what it's worth

Thanks one more time!
    Some people recommend the EP1500 because it is Class AB unlike the EP2500 which has Class H. See a discussion of amplifier classes ...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro...ommon_terminal

If 450 watts/ch at 4 ohms, or 700 at 2, isn't enough for the Carvers then you do indeed have some other probem.

Not to sound like a snoby jack ass, but the behringer will tickle the carver ;-) Its not in the same quality class. IF you do like the speakers and can give them the equipment needed then i would look for eloctrocompaniant **damn name, please look up correct spelling**, carver silver seven, Plinius etc.....

That's OK, Florian

Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    Not to sound like a snoby jack ass, but the behringer will tickle the carver ;-) Its not in the same quality class. IF you do like the speakers and can give them the equipment needed then i would look for eloctrocompaniant **damn name, please look up correct spelling**, carver silver seven, Plinius etc.....
    We know how you are. The fact is, though, that a brand new Behringer will deliver more power for less money than even long-used versions of the likes of Electrocompaniet.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    We know how you are. The fact is, though, that a brand new Behringer will deliver more power for less money than even long-used versions of the likes of Electrocompaniet.
    Maybe you should choose it over your current gear for the Maggies. More power and better controll. Dont worry about sound quality.

the electrocompaniets look really sweet, but are quite expensive...
    maybe you could consider this one...

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...&variation=SIL

it's not really expensive ($1k), weighs about 19 kgs, has 160,000 µF current reserve, and thereby it delivers plenty of power too...
    but when money is no object, take the electrocompaniets, or a mcintosh or a krell or so...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Last edited by basite; 03-10-2007 at 03:36 AM.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Forum Regular
    I think, I'm going to take Behringer EP2500. It's about $300 and it's new. AND....what is very important! I can hide that much from my wife! Soon as I get pay check! LOL

Forum Regular
    I have another question:
    What is better?:
    TWO pairs of Magnepan MG-I or ONE pair of Carver Amazing Speakers?
    I have chance to buy two pairs of Magnepan MG-I for $150
    Or should I have all of them and take a chance to got killed of my wife? LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information