cars have feelings too...

Printable View

• 06-18-2004, 01:57 PM
    nusiclover
    cars have feelings too...
    we already know that mercedes premium sound features bose. and that audi's symphony sound is by bose (symphony? are they kidding). matter of fact, most factory premium car speakers are bose. or infinity. but, is it true that volvo has dynaudio? i know that i heard this somewhere, but the guy at the dealership says they come unnamed. but, does dynaudio really make the premium sound on new volvos?
    i know how we all feel about bose. but, do cars have these feelings too? are volvos happier cars? just wondering.
  • 06-20-2004, 02:11 PM
    filecat13
    feelings
    Fords and Toyotas are happy with their JBL systems, although they'd be happier with aftermarket JBL components.
  • 06-20-2004, 04:06 PM
    markw
    Well,...
    ...I'm looking at a Hyundai Elantra and it's "upscale" GT package comes with a Kenwood system. Hmmmm...
  • 06-20-2004, 04:51 PM
    filecat13
    Tiburon
    Yes, I've test driven the Tib GT Special with the Kenwood system, including an eight inch (or is it ten inch?) sub in the back. Very nice car for the $$, though the sound sytem, while good, could always benefit from some aftermarket work.

We've got a 2001 Tibby and its stock system is pretty good for a no name. In my Sonata I gutted everything and put in all new speakers, amps, sub, and head (Pioneer double DIN with XM). The Sonata's happy now.
  • 06-20-2004, 05:58 PM
    markw
    Question, F13...
    I'm looking to downsize from a Grand Marquis (nice big car. love it but really lousy mileage) and, after trying on many, many cars for size (I'm 6' 3", 250 lbs), the Elantra & Sonata surprisingly enough, seem to fit quite well. ...better than almost any other compact car in their price range. My main conrcen seems to be how they hold up.

I'm leaning towards the Elantra 'cause it actualy seems roomier to me than the Sonata, although it's a tough choice. ...and it's a few bucks cheaper and it appears to get get better mileage.

Since you've got two Hyundai's, I assume you like 'em. I'm glad too hear that. Any cautions you (or anyone else with experience) would want to share with a friend :) before they bought one?

I'm also considering a Suzuki Forenza so if anyone has any input, I'd be glad to hear it.

Thanks in advance.
  • 06-20-2004, 11:12 PM
    topspeed
    Hyundai is now ranked 7th (I think) in JD Power's IQS so they must be doing something right. That's ahead of Mercedes, but then again that's not saying a helluva lot considering MB's dismal quality these days.

I'd take a hard look at the Mazda3 as it's fun to drive, gets great mileage, fun to drive, carries a lot, fun to drive, looks terrific, and oh yeah, it's fun to drive. Hey, you know and I know that fun is in short supply in a price class where most vehicles are simply appliances. The Mazda goes a long way to addressing this shortcoming. BTW, they're dead reliable too.
  • 06-21-2004, 03:09 AM
    markw
    Thanks, TS. Actually, I don't think I can fit into "fun" cars anymore. The Miata would be first choice if I were a few inches and lbs lighter. The most "fun" car I ever owned was a '62 Sunbeam Alpine. Of course, this was in '69...

I had to kick the Mazda 3 off my list after I tried to get into and out of it. I'm a little larger (6' 3", 250 lbs and perhaps less agile (55 yrs) ) than the person they designed the car for. Otherwise it would be on my "short" list. (pun intended)

The first thing I did when looking at cars was try them on for size. Surprisingly enough, some of the smaller cars have more interior room than you would think. The Toyota Echo woud be great but the wife says it's ugly and if Momma ain't happy, nobody's happy. Actually, it's a little underpowered too.
  • 06-21-2004, 08:37 AM
    topspeed
    Quote:

Originally Posted by markw
    Thanks, TS. Actually, I don't think I can fit into "fun" cars anymore. The Miata would be first choice if I were a few inches and lbs lighter. The most "fun" car I ever owned was a '62 Sunbeam Alpine. Of course, this was in '69...

Sunbeam...cool ride! We used to cruise to the beach in my college bud's Sunbeam Tiger, which was a perfect car for sunny SoCal. Dennis Simanaitis of R&T is about your size and belive it or not has a Miata. I had one for 4 glorious years and then sold it when our first was on the way. Mistake. I shoulda kept that sucker as a toy as it was one of the most enjoyable cars I've ever owned.

If you don't mind used, try looking into a Infiniti I30 or I35. These are HUGE inside (relatively speaking of course) and the rear seat room is exceptional for the class. They also pack Nissan's ubiquitous VQ series V6 engine (think 350Z) which is the finest V6 I've ever driven, including Honda's V6. Silky smooth, revs freely, and actually has torque where Americans can use it; down low. Oh, and so it looks like I'm staying on topic here, they have the Bose stereo which in this application, actually sounds decent. Try one on for size.
  • 06-21-2004, 09:13 AM
    nusiclover
    im glad that jbl and kenwood are making cars happietoo. it sounds like less expensive cars are actually getting better sound systems. however, i had a question regarding volvo and dynaudio. does anyone have an answer?
    what makes me chuckle is that benz and company must be getting sucked into the bose dream. and since benz is an expensive car, bose seems to be right because it costs 3 times the performance. or maybe it has something to do with bose and benz both being dream equipment to the unexperienced. but for those who know, they are way overpriced for what you get.