Forum Regular

Help! Building speaker.

Does any one know any sources, any intructions how to bend wood to have a rounded corners shape? please reply.
    I'm learning to build myself a, maybe 4 or 5' tall, high floor standing speakers. One that have rounded back like 1 of the pix attached.

Also, really interested in one of this totally rounded soccer-ball like speaker. See pix attached. Which material are they might be using internally?

FYI: I understand it is not gonna sound as good as those brand name speakers out there,(pessimistically speaking) but it is a for fun project and a learnning curve for myself, so anyone with suggestion to go out and buy one will not be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Check some site on "Kerfing Wood" or" Wood Bending" or "Bending Wood with Steam".You'll need some clamps in any case.Check the DIY forum also www.diyaudio.com have fun.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Nothing like diving two feet into a new hobby. May I humbly suggest learning to walk before trying to run. The cabinet shape is very critical aspect of the system's performance. But if you really want to try....check out what Mr. John Krutke did recently....MDF I suspect is a bit easier to work with than expensive woods. Just veneer or paint your speaker when finished

http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker20a.html

Forum Regular
    If you want to bend wood, first you need a mold. You need the main shap you want, and then either a top piece with the same arc, or you'll need clamps 1 for every 2 inches of wood. Next you need to soften the wood. You can do this by soaking it, but it isn't a great plan as it can ruin the wood. I suggest building an enclosed area and getting a steamer and soaking the wood with steam, it takes a while, but it will penetrate the wood fully. Once soft enough, put it in the mold, clamp it down and leave for 2 days in a dry area. If you have a dehumidifyer you can can dry it out in a day.

Forum Regular
    Thanks all,
    Ok, so making rounded/bended cabinet is difficult, I'm designing 2 diff. types and here they are. See Pix.

Note: I'm not sure which the wood thickness is best to use for this application so no detail drawing avail. yet.
    1" or 2" thick absorbed foams is also on the material list.

Q: I have a 3-way cross-over. High, Mid and Low. Can I hook up 2 Midrange speakers in 1 Mid channel? Both Mid speakers probably running about 100w RMS.
    Last edited by gjpham; 12-21-2005 at 12:58 AM.

Forum Regular
    Here's a little advice. Those B&W's are made of high quality wood, most likely not MDF like you probably plan on using. If that is the case making rounded backs is out of the question as fiber board will simply fall appart. Seeing as it is your first time, go with a simple design.

Thread Information