Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can you hear?

Dustin Broke is hot!!! SpankingVanillaice's Avatar

Can you hear?

If a speaker such as my JBL S26 monitors are from 48hz to 20K -3 db. Will I hear a difference on compairing them to a speaker that is more flatter response.
    Last edited by SpankingVanillaice; 02-15-2005 at 12:45 PM.

huh?

As usual, I have NO idea what you are trying to say, but a 3db change is barely audiable. Note the "barely"

I think he's referring to the given freq. response. If this is correct, what the speaker manufacturer is stating SV, is that the speaker has a measured response from x to y within a range of +-3dB. In other words, say a speaker claims 30hz at -3dB, this means that the freq. response below 30hz is going to fall off more than -3dB from flat.

In answer to your question, yes you can hear the difference, especially if the peaks and troughs are close together in the midband.

3 db variations are where deviations from flat response are clearly audible. But, the effect depends not only on the amplitude of the deviation, but the bandwidth as well. A 3 db hump that occurs across a wide frequency range sounds different than a 3 db peak that occurs withn a very narrow range.

I fixed my question on first post.

You also must factor in what type of environment this measurment was arrived at and how far from the drivers the microphone was. The farther you are from the drivers, the greater the variations are.

IOW, it's basicaly a "pretty" number that they were able to arrive at under ideal conditions that really doesn't exist in your living room.

Ever hear the one about the guy that drowned in the deep end of a lake that has an average depth of 4 inches? ...think about that one.

Quote Originally Posted by SpankingVanillaice
    If a speaker such as my JBL S26 monitors are from 48hz to 20K -3 db. Will I hear a difference on compairing them to a speaker that is more flatter response.
    Potentially yes, but more importantly, there are many factors that affect sound quality other than frequency response. Such does not convey its imaging capabilities, coherency of the drivers and crossover, and freedom from cabinet colorations, all of which are audible. Systems like the S26 with 6" woofers (similar to a pair of Polks I use with my HT) lack the bottom two octaves of music. You really need a subwoofer with them to be full range.

rw

Many years ago, when I first got into audio, I cared about nothing but stats. I purchased my first speakers based purely on brief lines of numbers, and frequency response was the most important one. If speaker A went from 40-22K and speaker B went from 50-20K, then A was clearly superior. If A was rated +/-3 db and B was +3/-2 db, B was better. It seemed completely unnecessary to listen to speakers (which are boxes that produce sound to hear) because I had stats.

It took a number of years for me to realize there might actually be some importance to listening to speakers. When I finally auditioned them, it was revelation. To my surprise, I discovered that EVERY speaker sounds different and no stat will ever tell you if the sound from X hz. to Y hz. will actually be pleasing to your ears or not. Stats like you're quoting may tell you a speaker can generate a tone up to 20K at a certain volume level within a certain db range. But they won't tell you if the high end is shrill or smooth. Likewise they may tell you the bass can go down to a certain point, but they won't tell you if that bass is boomy and muddy or clean and tight. Nor will stats such as these tell you anything at all about how the critical midrange frequencies sound, which is where the majority of sound is located.

Frequency response charts can give you a little better look, if you know how to read them. But even then, they can't tell you whether your ears will like the way a set of speakers sounds or not. Speakers that looks flatter on a chart may sound better, but they may also sound flat and devoid of life.

As I listened I also learned everybody has their own ideas about what makes good sound. This might have something to do with the fact that everyone has different shaped ears. There are so many different brands, styles and types of speakers out there because it turns out there is no set right way to build a speaker that sounds good to everybody. A speaker I may think is the greatest ever might be the same one you find completely unlistenable.

Speakers are designed to produce sound. So the only way to know how they sound and to determine whether you like them or not is to hear them. Don't let a few numbers limit your audio experience.

Lightbulb

For example lets pretend and say that one S26 has +- 1 db and the real one has - 3 db. Will I hear the difference?

What I am woundering is that can I hear the difference on a speaker compairing with one that is +- 3db or -3 db to a speaker that is just +- 1 db???

Well, yes, you will

What I am woundering is that can I hear the difference on a speaker compairing with one that is +- 3db or -3 db to a speaker that is just +- 1 db???
    But the point is you need to actually listen to the speaker, not just rely on specifications. The correspondence between specification and the actual listening experience is extremely loose.

Even assuming two spearkers were to have the same accurate, valid specification, (such as 50Hz - 18kHz +/- 2dB), they would sound different for a variety of reasons.

Tell me...

Do you even bother to read the answers your posts generate? ...or is comprehension of what you've read the problem?

what are you 12 years old or something? You've been on these forums for over a year asking the same damn questions about your S26's. Get the **** out and listen to speakers if your so concerned about your S26's. Sometimes I wonder if your trying to be a pest, and i didnt throw that out the window yet.

Forum Regular

Lightbulb ?????

Barely audible? Are you kidding me? 3db up or down is DOUBLE the audible change in volume from one frequency to another. I wouldn't even bother replying to mr spankingvanillaice's questions anyway. He believes his precious JBL's are a benchmark in sound quality or something. I don't even think I've heard 2 seperate model speakers, even in a single manufacturers series, that sound exactly like the speaker next to it.

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    As usual, I have NO idea what you are trying to say, but a 3db change is barely audiable. Note the "barely"

Never confuse decibles with power.

Quote Originally Posted by newbsterv2
    Barely audible? Are you kidding me? 3db up or down is DOUBLE the audible change in volume from one frequency to another.
    You may want to brush up on your electronic math and theory before jumping into these discussions llike that.

When you DOUBLE the POWER INTO a SPEAKER you get a BARELY AUDIABLE 3 DECIBLE INCREASE in LOUDNESS.

When you INCREASE the POWER INTO a SPEAKER TEN TIMES, you get a 10 DECIBLE INCREASE in LOUDNESS, which boils down to approximately TWICE the apparant LOUDNESS.

...but yes, this kid is seeming to be a bit of a troll.
    Last edited by markw; 02-16-2005 at 04:50 PM.

Forum Regular
    Err, markw, I think you may be the one who is confused. 3db louder doubles the SPL/volume.

A 10db increase is equivalent to 10 times the volume.

http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssc...nd/u11l2b.html

Forum Regular

Question OK my friend

The REASON the decibel scale is used is because humans don't hear volume levels the same way the a multimeter will see a change in power. And a 3db increase is very noticeable. Many people including myself can and will respond to a 1db variation. Let's say that you have a speaker that is flat from 40hz thru 800hz and then rapidly falls 3db thereafter all the way to 20khz. Are you going to tell me that this speaker will sound the same as a speaker that is flat from 40hz to 20khz?? If you do then a) you are deaf b) you're ears have been damaged from too many rock concerts and c) you are tone deaf. Any person who has been listening to speakers and has good hearing will tell you that the +/- 3db spec is useless just because the fact that it doesn't specify EXACTLY where the peaks and dips in the frequency response are.

You may want to brush up on your electronic math and theory before jumping into these discussions llike that.

When you DOUBLE the POWER INTO a SPEAKER you get a BARELY AUDIABLE 3 DECIBLE INCREASE in LOUDNESS.

When you INCREASE the POWER INTO a SPEAKER TEN TIMES, you get a 10 DECIBLE INCREASE in LOUDNESS, which boils down to approximately TWICE the apparant LOUDNESS.

Forum Regular

Lightbulb here's more info

i pulled out an old electrical engineering manual that i had when i was in college and decided to look up specific info for you just to prove you are indeed wrong. this is from the book markw.......

"Therefore, for a speaker system, a 3db increase in output would require that the power level be doubled. In the audio industry, it is a generally accepted rule that an increase in sound level is accomplished with 3db increments in the output level. In other words, a 1db increase is barely audible, and a 2db increase barely discernible. A 3db increase normally results in a readily detectable increase in sound level"

this is from Robert L Boylestad's book "Introductory Circuit Analysis"

p.s. markw you really should watch whom you tell to brush up on their math. it never hurts to just open a book does it?

I'll stick to my guns there, guys. Note I referenced "apparant loudness". Try it some time.

Now, where does it say that it's "double the audiable change" as you say in your initial post?
    Last edited by markw; 02-17-2005 at 07:05 AM.

It's just a hobby
    I'll stick to my guns there, guys. Note I referenced "apparant loudness". Try it some time.

Now, where does it say that it's double the loudness, as you said in your initial post?
    Please be gracious enough to admit you were wrong, no need to stick to your guns when it is blatant that you picked the wrong end of the stick on this one.

I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by theaudiohobby
    Please be gracious enough to admit you were wrong, no need to stick to your guns when it is blatant that you picked the wrong end of the stick on this one.
    But, sorry, in this case I'm not. In this big, bad world of real world audio, a 3 db change is "barely" audiable. Has been for the past 40+ years I've been in the business.

Actually, I'm disappointed. I honestly expected more in he way of real knowledge of electrial and acoustic theory from you. Maybe you should read the next post as well. You might learn a little something yourself.

Now, if you want to prove that that100 watt amp plays twice as loud as that 50 watt unit, go ahead.
    Last edited by markw; 02-17-2005 at 06:11 AM.

Final answer.

Quote Originally Posted by elbarono
    Err, markw, I think you may be the one who is confused. 3db louder doubles the SPL/volume.

A 10db increase is equivalent to 10 times the volume.

http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssc...nd/u11l2b.html
    All this talk about "decibles" and yet you all ignore the final decision maker in what we actually wind up hearing and how loudly we percieve, or "hear" it.

The ear. It's all gotta go into here and it doesn't count as being heard until it reaches our brain.

You all assume that the human ear is a linear device. It's not. One off y'all hinted at this but obviously had not a clue about what he was talking about, otherwise it would have sunk in before this.

It's not a linear device. It's essentially a logarithmic device. What this means is essentially the greater the "loudness", the less the ear "hears". There's a lot of other shiite involved with SPL levels, frrequencies and other stuff, but I'm not able to go there (and trust me, from what I've seen here, neither are y'all) so we'll keep it fairly simple.

Ultimately, a 10 decible increase in "sound pressure" results in approxiatmely twice the apparant loudness., not the tenfold gain you surmise.

Likewise, while one may be able to "perceive" a 1 db change under some conditions, to become significant may take a bit more. I'll stick to my "barely audiable" claim for a 3 db change since it's close enough to that textbook definition of "barely discernable" to still be usable. If you want to get involved in semantics instead of facts, feel free. That ain't my bag.

Using your logic, one could say that a 100 watt amplifier plays twice as loud as a 50 watt amp. Is that really what you want to say and back up using your numbers?

Now, my turn to post a quote.

"The judgment of relative sounds is more or less logarithmic, such that a tenfold increase in sound power is described as "twice as loud". The just noticeable difference in loudness varies from 3 dB at the threshold of hearing to an impressive 0.5 dB for loud sounds."

Research and reading is good. Comprehension of what you are reading is even better. Here's the link. It leads to many other related links as well. Knock yerselves out, boys.

http://www.epanorama.net/links/audio...g.html#general
    Last edited by markw; 02-17-2005 at 07:09 AM.

Forum Regular

Lightbulb Are you just trolling??

I mean to be honest you have got to be a troll. If we all follow your logic then EVERY speaker barely sounds different than the speaker sitting next to it because it's rated 50hz to 20khz +/- 3db. That is the most absurd thing I've read since visiting this site. Then you have all this talk about our "ears" and what it "perceives" and so forth. I agree with that 100% but that conflicts with everything you say before it! I'm going to stop feeding the troll now.

All this talk about "decibles" and yet you all ignore the final decision maker in what we actually wind up hearing and how loudly we percieve, or "hear" it.

The ear. It's all gotta go into here and it doesn't count as being heard until it reaches our brain.

You all assume that the human ear is a linear device. It's not. One off y'all hinted at this but obviously had not a clue about what he was talking about, otherwise it would have sunk in before this.

It's not a linear device. It's essentially a logarithmic device. What this means is essentially the greater the "loudness", the less the ear "hears". There's a lot of other shiite involved with SPL levels, frrequencies and other stuff, but I'm not able to go there (and trust me, from what I've seen here, neither are y'all) so we'll keep it fairly simple.

Ultimately, a 10 decible increase in "sound pressure" results in approxiatmely twice the apparant loudness., not the tenfold gain you surmise.

Likewise, while one may be able to "perceive" a 1 db change under some conditions, to become significant may take a bit more. I'll stick to my "barely audiable" claim for a 3 db change since it's close enough to that textbook definition of "barely discernable" to still be usable. If you want to get involved in semantics instead of facts, feel free. That ain't my bag.

Using your logic, one could say that a 100 watt amplifier plays twice as loud as a 50 watt amp. Is that really what you want to say and back up using your numbers?

Now, my turn to post a quote.

"The judgment of relative sounds is more or less logarithmic, such that a tenfold increase in sound power is described as "twice as loud". The just noticeable difference in loudness varies from 3 dB at the threshold of hearing to an impressive 0.5 dB for loud sounds."

Research and reading is good. Comprehension of what you are reading is even better. Here's the link. It leads to many other related links as well. Knock yerselves out, boys.

http://www.epanorama.net/links/audio...g.html#general

It's just a hobby
    But, sorry, in this case I'm not. In this big, bad world of real world audio, a 3 db change is "barely" audiable. Has been for the past 40+ years I've been in the business.

Actually, I'm disappointed. I honestly expected more in he way of real knowledge of electrial and acoustic theory from you. Maybe you should read the next post as well. You might learn a little something yourself.

Now, if you want to prove that that100 watt amp plays twice as loud as that 50 watt unit, go ahead.
    I just go to laugh here, , just stop digging.

compare it to this

A 3db increase normally results in a readily detectable increase in sound level

Ok 3 db is "barely" audiable now I know what I always wanted to know. But what freq on my speakers drop 3 db? Since my S26 is rated -3 db.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information