AR Newbie Registered Member

Camber Speakers: Any Good? Sound? Maker?

I have a friend who's moving away, I and have the chance to buy his speakers from him. The speakers are a pair of Camber 5.0ti and 1.0ti, which i've never heard and the only information i know about them is there made in Canada, and there about 8 years old.

Anyone familiar with them and could possibly tell me how they sound, what they sound like, and if they are worth buying?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidice
    I have a friend who's moving away, I and have the chance to buy his speakers from him. The speakers are a pair of Camber 5.0ti and 1.0ti, which i've never heard and the only information i know about them is there made in Canada, and there about 8 years old.

Anyone familiar with them and could possibly tell me how they sound, what they sound like, and if they are worth buying?
    As I recall they made pretty good speakers for not too much money. I wasn't really in the market for new speakers in those days, being still quite pleased with my old Kef 104's, so I didn't give them a very extensive audition and don't remember much about them, certainly not the model numbers. But I thought the $500 model was quite pleasant--as I recall.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/archive...p/t-30661.html

I'm not sure what happened but they haven't been made for quite some time, but the Plateau speaker and equipment stands were apparently associated with them.

http://www.uhfmag.com/CES2004/day3.html

I looked in my old mags and found the Sound & Vision (Canada) Audio/Video Preview 1991 buying guide and it lists the Camber 5.0 ti as $1199 and the 1.0 ti as $399, Canadian dollars, of course. I don't know when they stopped making the line but the speakers could be older than 8 years. But they should sound pretty good.

What does he want for them?

Specs are listed as about 90 dB sensitivity, with an 8 0hms nominal impedance (whatever that means) with a range of 45-23 kHz plus or minus 2 dB for the 5.0 and 60-23 kHz plus or minus 2 dB for the 1.0. The 5.0 ti has a 210 mm woofer and a 25 mm tweeter, maximum amplifier power suggested was 200 watts. The 1.0 ti has a 155 mm woofer and a 19 mm tweeter, maximum recommended amplifier power was 100 watts. Ferrfluid cooled tweeters and all that.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Thanks Pad D, I was having a hard time finding ANYTHING about them online. He's asking $75 CND for the 1.0ti and $175 for the 5.0ti. I think im going to go pick them up this weekend. Think there a good deal for that price?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidice
    Thanks Pad D, I was having a hard time finding ANYTHING about them online. He's asking $75 CND for the 1.0ti and $175 for the 5.0ti. I think im going to go pick them up this weekend. Think there a good deal for that price?
    I'd say these were very good prices. People who are looking to divest themselves of equipment in order to move sometimes offer very deals.

Try to take a listen before you buy even so--just to make sure they're in working order if nothing else. But I think it's most probable you will like them.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

Thread Information