• 01-02-2012, 07:58 PM
    wrc65
    budget floorstanding speakers
    Ok first thread for me! After Christmas its time to build the system a little bit more. I have a budget system and am trying to find some used hifi floorstanders or monitors to add some depth to my system. As of now I switch between boston hd5's and AR 216 bookshelves and a yahama servo sub. Its not bad but i would prefer the bookshelves for surrounds and rears. My budget is under strictly under 200 and am willing to use any outlet for used speakers. Speakers Im interested in:

Energy EF-500 (jamo 426)-only $130 on newegg?
    Polk R50's
    Polk R300
    JBL HLS615
    Mission 702e
    Mirage M890i
    Athena WS-100
    Infinity IL30

What are your opinions on some or any of these speakers? Any to stay away from? And What suggestions would you make for deals you have seen or speakers i should look for? Thanks Everyone!
  • 01-02-2012, 10:25 PM
    blackraven
    I would include a pair of Infinity Primus 152's for rear channel. They got a very good review in stereophile magazine.

Also consider a pair of the older versions of the the Boston Acoustic's CS26. They have a very nice warmer sound.

Audiophile Liquidator
  • 01-03-2012, 05:27 AM
    wrc65
    i really actually love both of those bookshelves, but as of now I really am just looking for floorstanding speakers. I plan on moving my Boston hd5's to the rear.
  • 01-03-2012, 11:03 AM
    blackraven
  • 01-03-2012, 01:11 PM
    wrc65
    Those look pretty nice. Ill look into them. Anyone have any opinions of the speakers i listed above? some of them are craigslist finds that im trying to get a feel for!
  • 01-03-2012, 03:30 PM
    blackraven
    I would go with the Energy 500's for that price. One question, why towers over Bookshelf's for surround sound and rear speakers. You can find better sounding Bookshelfs.
  • 01-03-2012, 03:39 PM
    markw
    If you should stumble across some used Athena Audition AS-F1, or even F2's, add them to your list. I use F1's and love 'em.
  • 01-04-2012, 08:44 AM
    wrc65
    ok ill check on the athenas! I think im being misunderstood. I want to purchase floorstanding speakers for my new fronts. As a result i will move the bookshelves i already have to the rears. This allows me to move from a SMALL 3.1 system to a 5.1
  • 01-05-2012, 04:14 PM
    t-bones
    You may want to look into some used Energy C5's or C6s. Duel 6 1/2in towers. And yes, the Athena's sound good for the $ too. I have 4 Athena ASBs 6 1/2in book shelf speakers running on an older Carver 250W/Ch amp in my garage. Those little suckers rock.
  • 01-06-2012, 05:15 AM
    RGA
    Pretty sure that the same parent company owns Athena and Energy - and FWIW I liked both lines budget speakers - both floorstanders and standmounts. I would also add Wharfedale's Diamond series to the list - I prefer the soft dome tweeter and mid/treble response to the others mentioned - but Wharfedale is a little harder to find. Still the slightly more relaxed presentation is easier on the ears over longer listening. They should be priced in your budget as well. Wharfedale Hi-Fi > Home
  • 01-06-2012, 05:25 AM
    Poultrygeist
    You can build a pair of these Frugal Horn Mk3 for under $200. Sound wise they easily compare to speakers costing 5 times more.

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...Doc-251010.pdf
  • 01-06-2012, 05:37 AM
    Feanor
    A bit off the wall and not for everyone, but I'll mention speakers from a kit. You can get kits with or without the cabinets. In both cases you can save a lot of money vs. the commercial product. With cabinets are pretty much a snap to build; without cabinet, i.e. builde 'em yourself, you can save even money.

On other recent occassions I've mentioned Parts Express speaker kits, (see HERE), which look like a great deal. I've been perhaps even more impressed with kits from Madisound, (HERE)

Amoungst the Madisound offerings I'm especially attracted to the Zaph | Audio kits that seem really well designed, (see link to the Zaph site, HERE). In our OP's range I'd suggest the Zaph|Audio ZA5.3t TMM Towers for ~$360 including accessories but not cabinets, (HERE). Here's the recommended compact floorstanding cabinet design for that kit ...

http://zaphaudio.com/ZA5/ZA5.3t.gif
  • 01-06-2012, 12:38 PM
    manlystanley
    If you're patient and know what your looking for (which you seem to know), you can go the Craigslist route. I've gotten some good stuff from it. Only got ripped off once.

Best Regards,
    Stan
  • 01-06-2012, 12:53 PM
    manlystanley
    I think these are a good deal, but I'll let others correct me if I'm wrong: POLK SPEAKERS RTI50 (OBO)

POLK SPEAKERS RTI50 (OBO) - $75 (Downtown)
    Date: 2012-01-06, 9:45AM EST
    Reply to: sale-7f85x-2786044564@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
    Must go ASAP

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

image 0

PostingID: 2786044564
  • 01-07-2012, 09:41 AM
    Mark111867
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RGA View Post
    Pretty sure that the same parent company owns Athena and Energy - and FWIW I liked both lines budget speakers - both floorstanders and standmounts. I would also add Wharfedale's Diamond series to the list - I prefer the soft dome tweeter and mid/treble response to the others mentioned - but Wharfedale is a little harder to find. Still the slightly more relaxed presentation is easier on the ears over longer listening. They should be priced in your budget as well. Wharfedale Hi-Fi > Home

I agree. I would pick Wharfedale also.