Deathcore for life Freewillisdead112's Avatar

any insite on baby advents???

I found a pair of advent (the smaller speaker) set for a great price of 35 bucks.

they need refoamed so i cant hear them.

are they worth picking up?

do they sound good?

and would i (SHOULD I) recap them?

thanks guys

heres a pic of them!

they look amazing!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

they visually look good

They look as if they could be something worth looking into. Refoaming speakers is not that difficult and from what I have been told the vintage advents had a overall good sound for their time. I don't think they will hold a candle to most of todays smaller speakers but it sounds like you are kind of a vintage speaker buf and they might serve you well. I was a kid when those speakers were new so I never really had a chance to hear them but I will say that they look like they have been well cared for.

=]

I'm mostly buying up stuff for good prices to redo-fixup-blow time. I only own my living room stereo set up thats pretty much junk to me, and will be having moving into a larger place where i would love to have a stereo in every room. I figure they would work good as a pair of bedroom/mounted above kitchen area for dinner music/relaxing reading a book? It would never be loud or over powered!

I just want something to do! and not waste money in the mist of it all.

anyone know how many watts they are and where i could get a refoam kit from?

are the parts express ones good?

power for you advents

I do not know the actual power ratings for these speakers but I would say a clean 30 to 50 watts per channel would be more than enough for them, I have ordered a lot of stuff from Parts Express for speaker repair and building and would say that they would be a good company to order a repair kit from. Everything I have ordered from them has been of good quality and they have a good service dept to help you with what you are repairing. Even if you have to replace drivers or crossover components they can assist you with what you need.

everyone on heres so nice!

thanks man, you have been very helpful

glad theres other nice, respectful people out there besides myself!

I was thinking about buying some old speakers, maybe some old three ways with real wood veneer and redoing everything!

Would cost a couple dollars and would be alot of practice for me since i have never even touched a soldering gun.

even to build a pair of bookshelfs from the ground up would be sweet.

I had a pair of paradigm 5se-mk3's i was going to fix up from the 90's, but the color was to light and really made the living room look ugly, so they had to go =[

they sounded amazing, but were just a smidge to warm for my taste! it was nice to have a chance to mess around with a bi-wire set up. I actually heard a difference! didnt think i would!

the older paradigms

Some of the older paradigm speakers like the ones you mentioned were known to be on the warm side. This is not the first time I have heard that. When paradigm went to the Titanium dome tweeters and better crossovers in the monitor series they started to brighten things up a bit.
    Building speakers from scratch can be a very educational and fun experience. It can teach you the do's and don'ts of building speakers and learn that it involves carpentry, picking drivers that will work good together and crossover construction. I would suggest having a company like parts express within a phone calls reach to help with the things that you are unsure of. It can be tricky at first to make sense of the parameters of drivers and matching them together with a crossover that will let them work at their best. Plus building a cabinet that allows these drivers to perform like they were designed. I would suggest at first using pre made crossovers and drivers from the same companies that are built to be put with each other. Once you get the concepts down and are able to understand driver parameters and crossover designs then you can branch out and start experimenting with different driver brands and designs.

Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07
    Some of the older paradigm speakers like the ones you mentioned were known to be on the warm side. This is not the first time I have heard that. When paradigm went to the Titanium dome tweeters and better crossovers in the monitor series they started to brighten things up a bit.
    Building speakers from scratch can be a very educational and fun experience. It can teach you the do's and don'ts of building speakers and learn that it involves carpentry, picking drivers that will work good together and crossover construction. I would suggest having a company like parts express within a phone calls reach to help with the things that you are unsure of. It can be tricky at first to make sense of the parameters of drivers and matching them together with a crossover that will let them work at their best. Plus building a cabinet that allows these drivers to perform like they were designed. I would suggest at first using pre made crossovers and drivers from the same companies that are built to be put with each other. Once you get the concepts down and are able to understand driver parameters and crossover designs then you can branch out and start experimenting with different driver brands and designs.

well that sounds cool, thanks!

I was more or less going to add bracing, new cross over and woofers and new stuffing to a old set of speakers that looked nice.

would i be able to do that with the advents???

or would it be a waste of money?

you could

if the Advent cabinets are in as good of shape as they look they might work for your application baring that you brace them well and find woofers to work in the cubic feet that these cabinets are. I would start by measuring the internal cubic feet of your cabinets and try to find which company makes a woofer whose parameters work with this size of enclosure. If the enclosure is ported that make sure the port can be modified to work as well. I know some of the advent speakers were in sealed enclosures back then so you might be looking at a acoustic suspension designed cabinet(sealed). Once you have found new woofers that will work then you can find midrange and tweeter drivers the accompany them plus what type and what fequency of crossovers to use. Parts express is real good at helping with this very thing. If you give them the size and type of your cab then they will be able to tell you which woofers will work. And at a plus they have premade crossovers that can be ordered in variable setups so that it can fit your need. It turns into a plug in play type of setup. And you will get the retro look but will be benefiting from todays better driver and crossover designs. Good luck.

good lookin!

thanks alot!

I'm pretty sure they are sealed cabs and idk. maybe i could just recap the crossover and refoam and see what im working with. i would only be playing radio rock through them so they wouldnt be getting anything slaming.

Now another question. say i wanna add a powered sub to a pair of older speakers.would i use the hi input on the sub to do the crossing over since the old receivers dont do this? and would the hi input effect any sound issues since its a coupler?

I wouldnt be adding anything insane but alot of the music i listen to uses bass drops that go super low in the Hz range, kinda like a short blast of a hard rap song for one second. alot of speakers ive incountered distort from the double bass and cymbols being done while thats there. if i cross over this, would this stop the distortion factor where the speaker cant handle all the movement?

And what subs in the cheaper good range have a good crossover in them?

subwoofer hookup

You can go what is called speaker level hookup to a sub in one of two ways. hook your main speakers to your receiver and then hook your sub off the b side or parallel them to your a speaker side of your receiver since there is no real wattage pull from the sub(it just uses the siganl that your receivers speaker outs have to change to a low level audio signal to reamplify for the sub amp to use). But in some cases the sub also has a speaker level output that is crossed over at somewhere around 80 hz or so that will take some of the bass load off your main speakers. Me myself I like my mains to sound full so I would go with the first way of hookup unless you are getting distortion out of your mains or something like that. Either way of hookup is fine for your uses and can produce good results.

Quote Originally Posted by Freewillisdead112
    I found a pair of advent (the smaller speaker) set for a great price of 35 bucks.

they need refoamed so i cant hear them.

are they worth picking up?

do they sound good?

and would i (SHOULD I) recap them?

thanks guys

heres a pic of them!

they look amazing!
    They are definately worth picking up, they sound exeptionally well for their price, and they can sound even better if you recap them with decent caps.

I have 2 pairs of New Large Advents, and recapped them, refoamed them and I like (liked, they're currently not in use) them alot.

pretty much every amp that is stable and delivers clean power can drive them, but a 100 watts won't hurt them, although a good 30 watt amp will suffice for most living rooms... (you're actually 'overpowering' them at a 100 watts, but the extra power reserve is good for the peak levels...)

I first ran them with a 42watt/ch kenwood receiver, with excellent results...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

thanks! bose alert!

i see all this cool old stuff on craigslist by me and i never know if im going to buy something and end up hating it, and have it have no value to toss it off to someone else. thats what sucks about buying used, without a store having a return policy!

now if speakers are ten bucks, ill chuck it up!

belive me ive almost been scammed into white van stuff, cuz it looked so nice. but when the guy told me i couldnt bring me receiver to take a listen and told me they were as is, i got to thinking!

took a look online and BOOM! almost got super ripped off!

would have made a nice piece of fancy furniture though =]

so is it good to recap anything speaker wise thats vintage?

i was offered a pair of bose 901's that need refoamed for 100 bucks?
    without eq

worth anything, or should i not drink the kool aid?

thanks guys!

the bose 901's are speakers of a different breed. People either love them or hate them. Most of the people who love them listen to acoustic music or calssical. They are descent at producing that type of music but people like myself and I believe you have musical tastes that are very diverse. The 901 are not bad and could be a money maker if you fixed them and put them up for sale but as far as you being happy with them in your home I would be very surprised if you would be satisfied with them for yourself. You never know. I have heard several versions of the 901's and the main complaint comes to mind every time. Compared to Paradigms or other more traditional designs the 901s have a limited amount of bass and their treble is almost dull in comparison. But there are people out there my father included who love the 901 sound. Try to find a pair that is in good shape to listen to to see if you even like what they can do.

i see all this cool old stuff on craigslist by me and i never know if im going to buy something and end up hating it, and have it have no value to toss it off to someone else. thats what sucks about buying used, without a store having a return policy!

now if speakers are ten bucks, ill chuck it up!

belive me ive almost been scammed into white van stuff, cuz it looked so nice. but when the guy told me i couldnt bring me receiver to take a listen and told me they were as is, i got to thinking!

took a look online and BOOM! almost got super ripped off!

would have made a nice piece of fancy furniture though =]

so is it good to recap anything speaker wise thats vintage?

i was offered a pair of bose 901's that need refoamed for 100 bucks?
    without eq

worth anything, or should i not drink the kool aid?

thanks guys!

Do what version of the 901 that you are looking at. The newer versions have a different eq box with them that usually has a little cleaner circuitry in them and might make the speakers work better.

model V

It doesnt come with the Eq though. which there freaking expensive on ebay!

people want 20 bucks just to ship a ONE POUND ITEM!!!!

haha

everything ive heard from bose has been very dull in the treable side. besides the jem speakers for the surround system, which sounded quite good. but for the money, i could build an insane home theatre! no thanks bose, ill keep my 3 grand for something worth it! =]

model V

It doesnt come with the Eq though. which there freaking expensive on ebay!

people want 20 bucks just to ship a ONE POUND ITEM!!!!

haha

everything ive heard from bose has been very dull in the treable side. besides the jem speakers for the surround system, which sounded quite good. but for the money, i could build an insane home theatre! no thanks bose, ill keep my 3 grand for something worth it! =]
    Yeah without the eq these speakers will not sound right in my experience. And I am with you that these do have a dull sound when compared to the better stuff out there. Plus when you are talking about refoaming them you are talking about 9 different drivers per cabinet. It sounds like allot of work and possibly more money than fixing a more standard built speaker. I agree with you in that you would probably be better to save your pennies for something more worthwhile.

agreed for sure

ive just been watching these 901's one CL for like 3 months now, and this guy just cant sell them!

i kinda feel bad, and wanna buy them so he can quit posting his add four times a day!

about a year ago i was in a decent money crunch and really needed new speakers, and i saw that bose offered payments on there stuff without a credit card. just have it billed to your bank for 12 months. boy did that make me happy. but then i started looking at the prices! for paper woofers? and paper tweeters? and idek if its even MDF? if you broke it down, i think it costs them like 50-70 maybe 100 max bucks to make a pair of 901's and they sell them for 1200 bucks!

better sound through bull**** =]

Unhappy

agreed for sure

ive just been watching these 901's one CL for like 3 months now, and this guy just cant sell them!

i kinda feel bad, and wanna buy them so he can quit posting his add four times a day!

about a year ago i was in a decent money crunch and really needed new speakers, and i saw that bose offered payments on there stuff without a credit card. just have it billed to your bank for 12 months. boy did that make me happy. but then i started looking at the prices! for paper woofers? and paper tweeters? and idek if its even MDF? if you broke it down, i think it costs them like 50-70 maybe 100 max bucks to make a pair of 901's and they sell them for 1200 bucks!

better sound through bull**** =]

I believe you have fond out what many learned only after spending quite a bit of money on the Bose systems and being disapointed. I know that Bose started out with good intentions but during the late 80;s Bose started making products that used drivers of questionable quality with cheap crosssovers and cabinets, and trying to charge a premium for them when you factor in what the build cost must be on these under built units. In the late 80's I bought a pair just to try them they were the Bose 4.2. The sounded ok when compared to rack system speakers but anything with a quality build put them to shame. Plus I took them apart because back then I couldn't leave stuff alone and was always wanting to modify stuff and try to put my own 2 cents to it to make it better. But with 1/2 inch thick cabinets with two paper cone tweeters and an ok 8" woofer which was ok but no audio marvel. Really I had nothing of quality to work with so I gave up on them and looked elsewhere. I think Dr.Bose had some good ideas in the early days of Bose but when the company grew so did their hunger to make as much money as they could off the name itself instead of making products that would someone proud to own them. (my dad would shoot me if he knew I wrote this) he loves Bose stuff and we have had friendly arguments on this topic for years.

Chicago IL
    I owned those baby advents and I can tell you that they are great speakers! You won't be disappointed if you re foam them! The reason I got rid of them is because I purchased home theater system so I had no need of them anymore! If you like vintage stuff they are one of the best!

Quote Originally Posted by dakatabg
    I owned those baby advents and I can tell you that they are great speakers! You won't be disappointed if you re foam them! The reason I got rid of them is because I purchased home theater system so I had no need of them anymore! If you like vintage stuff they are one of the best!
    Im glad that we could have some input from a previous owner of these speakers. I know when I was younger The Advent name was brought up all the time when speakers were talked about. And I remember old stereo mags of the 70's and 80's always had something from Advent in them and they always seemed to rate well back then.

well thats all that counts, idk if there even still avail!!

haha to worried about getting those machs in here to rock my face off!

Thread Information