Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I never said that high powered amps won't blow speakers, I've seen it happen a few times.

I'm in total agreement with your RGA!
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Old AR guy, reincarnated.
    Guys there is a big difference between tube amps and solid state amplifiers. Tube amp can be overdriven where a solid state amp will not without sounding like crap. Tube amps have much better and more efficient power. Not to mention they sound a lot better. Tube amps produce wonderful sound saturation.I only know this from playing the electric guitar for years and owned a lot of different amplifiers. I rarely use much solid state amplification. Tube amps are more money in the home theater realm. Doubt I'll ever own one. As far as blowing speakers. Electrical current blows speakers..... too much current. Too little current can damage your amp if using the wrong speakers..less sensitive higher wattage ones. Let's just get back on tract. if the fella needs 8 ohm speakers. And his receiver can produce 120 watts per channel. Then his "safe bet" would be to purchase something that meets or exeeds those specs. Then he can let er rip !!! And watch which one blows first. His amp or his speakers. Neither should happen unless he plays his music cranked to the max for an extremely long peroid of time. Go with the Polk TSi200 and enjoy my friend.
    Samsung 50" 1080p DLP w/LED light engine. Harmon Kardon AVR 635, Denon DVD-1920, Sony PS3, Athena F2.2 Fronts, Athena C2 Center, Acoustic Research M1 Holographic Rears, Polk Audio TSi100 rears. Dual SVS PB12 NSD Subwoofers Stacked. Direct TV HD receiver. 10 gauge speaker wiring, Subs are cabled by Cobalt, The rest of my cables are Monster and Monoprice.

Forum Regular
    Ok. I had went to demo some Polk TSi200s and RTi A3s. Can't find anyone near me who has them. I also wanted to listen to Klipsch Reference series RB-61s. Same deal. I did listen to some other Klipsch.....WB something or other. I compared them against the Paradigm Atoms, which this place did have. I liked the Paradigms better. Didn't really like the overly bright sound of the Klipsch. They weren't bad by any stretch but I prefered the Paradigm sound. However, I have realized I'm not going to be able to listen to any of the speakers on my list. Based purely on reviews I've read online, I have narrowed my decision to the Polk TSi200s, Polk RTi A3s and the Silverline Audio Minuets. Since I already have the Polk PSW10 subwoofer, I figure the Polks could be a nice match for relatively small dollars at $300 or $450 for the pair respectively. The Silverline Minuets seem to have STELLAR reviews from eveyone who has listened to them. They seem to excel in the midrange and treble and appear to be ideal when paired with a subwoofer. The only hesitancy is the $600 cost. DeepSurplus.com has a pair for $525 but I am wary of going with a discount seller to save a lousy $75. Should I splurge or stick with the conservative choice and go with the Polks. On the Polk front, I am leaning towards the RTi A3s. All I need is a nudge in one direction or the other. Anyone?.........

Forum Regular
    I just wanted to thank everyone who responded and provided me with an education. I just thought I would say that I pulled the trigger on the Silverline Minuets. They are shipping out today. Now I can't wait to get them hooked up. I'll add a further update on sound once they are up and running and have a little time to break in. Thanks again.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MntnMan62
    I just wanted to thank everyone who responded and provided me with an education. I just thought I would say that I pulled the trigger on the Silverline Minuets. They are shipping out today. Now I can't wait to get them hooked up. I'll add a further update on sound once they are up and running and have a little time to break in. Thanks again.
    Congrats! Looking forward to your comments on these speakers. Post pics for drooling.

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    I guess you figured that when nobody responded to your post on the 7th, after it looked like to all of us that you were leaning toward the Polks, we were pulling for the Minuets. I think you made the wise choice. I'm sure all of us here have let money dictate our purchases from time to time, and usually all you wind up with is buyers remorse. Here's to many years of enjoyment.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Forum Regular
    This is just a follow up. I recieved the Minuets at my front door yesterday and was as excited as a kid on Xmas/Chanukah as I opened up the box after coming home from work. My first reaction was "man these things are small". It turns out that looks can be deceiving. I immediately hooked them up and spent the rest of the evening going through my collection listening to my favorite stuff. That spanned a whole range from Brecker/Hancock/Hargrone - New Directions (Naima), Zappa - Overnight Sensation, Tubes - Tip of My Tongue, Was (Not Was) - Mr. Alice, Hello Operator, Return to Forever - RTF Returns, Earth Wind & Fire - Live in Tokyo, Steely Dan - Aja, George Duke - Illusions.....and the list goes on. I have to say the reviews I have read are right on. They have a clear, clean and full sound. Vocals are especially clear and vibrant. Mid range is excellent. I found that the tonal qualities of many of the tom-toms on drum tracks is incredible. I've never heard that before on my Paradigms or Cambridge Soundworks. My room conditions are less than ideal, but even so, these little speakers filled my basement with sound. I am going easy on them for the first 50 to 100 hours to give them a chance to break in. They sound fantastic with my Harman Kardon HK 3490 along with a Polk PSW10 sub. Now all I can do is think about getting home to listen to more music. I highly recommend them to anyone with limited space issues or a need for a pair of bookshelf speakers. You will not be disappointed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information