Forum Regular

Our speaker grills,are there benefits to taking them off or should they stay on?

I notice lately that I actually like to listen to my speakers with the grills off from time to time ( they look and sound great either way) but I was just curious,is there any harm in leaving your grills off if you chose?

Suspended

Only when kids and pets are around.

Only when kids and pets are around. Also, depending on the cone coating, they could pick up dust and hair. I have a pair of JMLabs that are cherry even on the front baffle so I leave them off all the time. The cones are quite sticky from however they are made and coated and have picked up some dust and hair that floats around the room.

I leave mine off, but that may change soon.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    Depends on the speaker. Some models - such as Harbeth - are designed to perform more accurately with the grill on. The grill material is essential in having the correct frequency balance and dispersion.

While some speakers do improve with the grill removed, it is probably best to check with the manufacturer. Increased brightness does not automatically translate to "more accurate."

Forum Regular
    Thanx a whole bunch guys.GMichael you said that leaving your grills off may change soon ,may I ask why?
    Last edited by D.G.; 04-07-2009 at 09:13 PM.

Forum Regular
    I called the manufacturer (Energy) and they said it really doesnt matter if the grills are on or off the speakers will perform well and not be in any danger ( with grills off ),she also mentioned that lots of people find there speakers more appealing without the grills . I find them more appealing without grills also.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by D.G.
    I called the manufacturer (Energy) and they said it really doesnt matter if the grills are on or off the speakers will perform well and not be in any danger ( with grills off ),she also mentioned that lots of people find there speakers more appealing without the grills . I find them more appealing without grills also.
    Some time ago, I auditioned the Energy C-3 and they sounded somewhat different with and without the grilles. I preferred the mass string sound without the grilles.

Some manufacturers design speakers to be used with the grilles on, and they perform better that way. Paradigm and PSB are two such. The effect can be measured, and some reviewers have done so from time to time. My older PSB Stratus Minis are a case in point. Check out figure 4 in the Stereophile measurements section:

http://stereophile.com/standloudspea...29/index4.html

And check out Fig 5 in their measurements section for my main speakers:

http://stereophile.com/standloudspea...gm/index3.html

For those two speakers, the grilles are obviously beneficial--it's a matter of how the speakers and grilles are designed. And they both measure well and sound great, especially the more recent design. However, which way you prefer them is a matter of preference (that's sort of redundant, isn't it?).

However, it seems many speakers have a better response with the grilles off. You will have to decide what you prefer.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

Quote Originally Posted by D.G.
    Thanx a whole bunch guys.GMichael you said that leaving your grills off may change soon ,may I ask why?
    The wifey is preggo.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    Well super congrats to you and your wife GMichael and thanx for the info Pat D!

Thread Information