golden ear

bi-wireable front speakers

hi, its my first time to acquire a bi-wireable speakers and now i am wondering if i should bi-wire or not...how does bi-wiring improve the sound reproduction? if i would bi-wire, is it ok if id be using different wires for the LP and the HP signals?

Forum Regular

Post bi-wire

One theory is that the sound is improved owing to the treble and bass sections of the music being kept separate immediately after the final amplification stage in the amp , thus whatever effect the reactive components in the cables may have on the signal , there will at least be no intermodulation distortions between treble and bass as result of such .
    Another theory is that as the "back-EMF" from each of the woofer and tweeter and through their respective sections of the Cross-over is different , both back-EMFs should be kept separate till they arrive at the output stage of the amplifier as from this point in the circuit the amplifier's "feedback" signal is taken .
    Different types of cable can be used for each section , though , other than by unlikely co-incidence , the resistances ; capacitances ; inductances of the wire in each cable will be some-what different , and , the di-electric absorbsion and dissipation factor of the insulation of each cable will be different unless both are made of the same type of plastic .
    Whether you will hear any effects of such will depend in part on how long your cables are . I have been told the effect is less noticeable with speakers with simple cross-overs {ie:- 1st order type} and more noticeable as the complexity of the cross-over circuit is increased . This seems believeable as the reactive elements in the cross-overs could interact with the 5 characteristics of wire and insulation I listed above .
    If you already have second cables , then simply try bi-wiring and listen . Usually the cable with thicker wire is better used for the bass sections , but try whatever you have and hear for yourself . Post your listening test results here - such will be interesting to people who have differing opinions on such matters . best wishes , Chris .

Suspended
    I see a lot more benefit from bi-amp than bi-wire. I hear very little difference bi-wiring my Legacy Focus mains from my Denon AVR-3300, but bi-amping using a Yamaha M-65 for the subs gives me more bass umph and control while freeing up power from the Denon for mid/high frequency reporduction.

Thread Information