Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: bi amp

Forum Regular

Smile Hummmmmm on my valve amp.

Hi Mr P,how are things with you? You could well be right,anyhow he has it up & running.If it had have been down to me, I could still be looking at it .I have a question for you.
    I have a "Arion Tycho"valve amp,I have not used it a lot of late,as it hurts for me to climb stairs.I have noticed that recently the amp is making a humming noise on the front left transformer block,if however I put hand pressure the humming stops.The amp is mounted on a custom made wall stand & all audio connections are sound.
    I do not want to start making things worse by fiddling,it generally means I will break it,anyway do you have any thoughts you might throw my way.
    Hope to hear from you soon,regards Bob.

Suspended
    The repair thing is not my area, however, if it stops when you put your hand on it seems it could just be something needing snugged up a bit. Although I'm not sure where the vibration would come from. Only other thing that comes to mind is a ground issue and when you touch it you ground the amp. I don't think you'd hurt anything just by making sure all the screws are snug.

Forum Regular

Re Amp Hum

Mr Peabody,how are you,
    so I have had a bit on my plate of late,I have had one thing after another come up.
    I bought a lovely 1931 Garrard antique clock for my self,for my forthcoming Seventieth birthday next month,the trouble was it took an age for me to set it up, at one point i decided it was female as it would only work facing the wall! I kid you not.anyway I sent for a man who can & its running & chiming as well as I wished.
    Now to matters Hi Fi,I have not switched on my upstairs system of late as my leg is not good at present for climbing stairs,& in all honesty my little Arcam system is doing very well & the more I use it the better it sounds,my wife says different of course,now I am rambling,I just thought I would let you know how things are,all the the best,
    Regards sailorbob.

Suspended
    Ahoy! mate. Hope the leg gets better. The Arcam may not be as sweet as the upstairs system but I enjoy it's soundstage and detail. Arcam is typically very quick too.

Forum Regular

Smile

Hi there,whats your views on adding a dac to my current set up? I am thinking in terms of the
    MF v-dac,any comments,Bob.

Suspended
    I forgot what you are using now for a CD player. A friend of mine has the MF X-ray and I was very impressed with the sound. I am a firm believer in using the best source you can, if the info isn't extracted off the disc nothing you do down stream will allow you to hear that info/detail.

Forum Regular

Unhappy

Hi there,thanks for coming back,i have opted for a arcam delta 50 black box/mainly because it was bought on auction for £110.00,so i think it should be all right with my current set up.
    Arcam 7se cd+7r pre+8 p-amp,it more than fills what i think is good music making,it is effortless in presentation,& so like vinyl ? I have been overhauling my Revox b77 yesterday with a view to selling it,it still sounds absolutely brilliant,firt up was Neil Youngs Wayward Wind,I recorded that of the lp a mate loaned me,about 1995 I think,just stunning,no dacs or black boxes etc.Have we all gone bonkers over the years,thats my rave over,ps.hope you where not affected by the storms you have had,all the best,sailorbob.

Suspended
    I am located a few miles south of the tornado damage, thanks for asking.

The 7se may sound better than the black box, have you done a comparison? For the past few years turntables and LP's have made a bit of a come back. I sure never thought I'd see the day when I could buy a new LP again. Of course, now a new LP is a bit of a nitch and usually commands a larger price than I'm willing to pay. On the plus side new LP's are generally much better quality than back in the day, many being 180 gram and some even at 45 rpm.

Forum Regular

Smile back on track.

Mr Peabody,how are you ? I am pleased to hear you are clear of the danger area,the images are shocking to say the least.
    i have my dac & seems to be okay,the 73 se i have is good anyway,
    the type of music I listen to is different now than when i was younger,i will be 70 tomorrow,now a confirmed old fart.
    All the best,Bob.

Suspended
    Well, hang in there like a barnical and have a happy birthday!

Forum Regular
    I like all the feedbacks here so far. I intend to combo my 8r Integrated Amp (50wpc @ 8ohms) to a 9P Power Amp (70wpc @ 8ohms). And I have a power hungry M3Si Mirage, bi-wireable w/ four inputs for each speaker.

I have a couple of concerns.

1. I currently have one pair of internally biwired cables per speaker. Which means which means there
    is one pair of banana plugs at the amp end and two pairs at the speaker end.
    If I follow the feedbacks above, my internally bi-wired cables would only be good either for the
    tweeter or for the woofer. One pair out of the two at the speaker end will be useless. Is this
    correct? If so, then this means, I need to buy another pair of cables for either the low or high input
    side of the speaker. In such case, I may just shelf and keep my internally bi-wired cables and just
    buy four new set of cable pairs. Two pairs for the 8R going towards the tweeters and another two
    pairs for the 9P to the woofers.

2. If I don't follow the above, and still use my internally bi-wired speaker cables, can I simply connect
    the 8R to the Mirage using the bi-wire cables while the 8R is connected to the 9P via an
    interconnect? What is the effect?

Appreciate your new feedbacks.

Thanks!
    Nad

Forum Regular

Smile bi wire set up

Hi Nad,just switched on the forum,first time in a while.My set up is as so,i take my tweeter feed from mry7r direct to the tweeters using Chord Harmony cable,& for my bass i go from my 8r to the bass driver using Lk20 which is a heavier cable.My speakers are now b&w 601 mounted on Mission Stancette stands ,i also use sorbothane feet at each corner of the speaker to the stands,unbelievable upgrade,i now have every piece of audio equipment mounted as such.They are the most interesting upgrade in 50yrs of audio hobbyist,hope this helps,good listening,
    Bob.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information