Best Speakers for Vinyl

Printable View

• 12-31-2008, 05:31 AM
    JeffreyStewart
    Best Speakers for Vinyl
    Hello, Im new to the forum but I'm trying to build a home theater based around a turntable to play some original pressed vinyl. I'm looking for some good speakers that will capture the best sound from the vinyl I'll be playing. I'm not sure which speakers I should go with, but the music that will be playing is ska, rocksteady, dub and reggae. Also, I plan on getting some origina John Coltrane and some David Brubeck. I need some speakers that will capture the depth and texture of these albums. Any direction or help is appreciated.

Jeff
  • 12-31-2008, 07:17 AM
    Feanor
    Welcome, Jeff
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffreyStewart
    Hello, Im new to the forum but I'm trying to build a home theater based around a turntable to play some original pressed vinyl. I'm looking for some good speakers that will capture the best sound from the vinyl I'll be playing. I'm not sure which speakers I should go with, but the music that will be playing is ska, rocksteady, dub and reggae. Also, I plan on getting some origina John Coltrane and some David Brubeck. I need some speakers that will capture the depth and texture of these albums. Any direction or help is appreciated.

Jeff

Welcome to AR Forums. Lots of good comments await you.

As for which speakers are best for vinyl, I have just two words: "Audio Note".

http://ca.geocities.com/w_d_bailey/laughing0251.gif

Oh sorry: that's an insider joke; hang around long enough and you'll appreciated it. Seriously though, they are an option.

Alternatiely I'd suggest some Magneplan model. Lots of other options too.
  • 12-31-2008, 07:37 AM
    Worf101
    Well...
    Some information from you would be helpfull.

1. Budget.
    2. Amps and other gear to be used, turntable, etc..
    3. Size and orientation of listening area.

With this information some here could better give you the assisstence you seek.

Da Worfster
  • 12-31-2008, 07:41 AM
    GMichael
    Hi Jeffrey,

There are so many different (good) speakers available, that no one can really tell you what is the "best" speaker for you. Give us a budget and we can give you a few dozen leads. Then your best bet would be to get out and listen to as many of them as you can before you choose any. Bring a couple of your favorite recordings with you.

These are the speakers I have & can't say enough about them (see below for link). The planner mids and highs bring out the details of voices while the traditional mid-woofer and sub woofer dish out some nice dynamics. If you go to this company's forum and post that you are looking to hear a pair, someone in you area will step up and let you come over to listen. They also have a 30 day return policy if you find that you don't like how they sound in your home.

http://av123.com/component/page,shop...art/Itemid,37/

Welcome to AR.

Mike
  • 12-31-2008, 08:14 AM
    dean_martin
    don't know your budget, but you probably need to decide whether you're going to go with floorstanders or standmounts and a subwoofer. generally, if you go with standmounts, you may need a better quality sub to integrate for music only. If you go with floorstanders, you may be able to get by with a cheaper sub (or no sub initially) for movies. speakers that handle the bass response you need for some of the music you identified may turn out to be your priority.

some of the usual suspects to audition are B&W, Revel, Vandersteen, Paradigm, Monitor Audio and Dynaudio found in hifi shops. I auditioned some floorstanders the other day - B&W 683s, Revel Concerta and Vandersteen 1C in the $1000-1500 for my stereo system and I play vinyl mostly. I thought the Revels were interesting becasue they seemed to be well-balanced overall. The B&Ws were more exciting but I suspect they might become irritating for extended listening to music only. The Vandersteens might be a good choice for vinyl because they seemed to have some of the characteristics of vinyl - warmth but with detail. I'd go back and listen to the Vandys and Revels again (with my own music) before deciding.

provide a little more info like your budget and the amp or receiver you'll be using for more specific comments.
  • 07-29-2011, 06:02 AM
    limonv
    Hello, i just joined audioreview today. The thing is, i recently got as a gift a stanton t.92 direct drive turntable and i want to get a nice set of speakers to listen to my vinyl´s collection. I dont own a receiver or amp and i dont know which way to start building up my sound equipment.
    Should i buy the receiver and the speakers? should i go only for the speakers? do i need an amp/preamp? can a receiver also be an amp?
    I´m willing to spend between 300-500 on speakers and another 300 (should i spend more on receiver less on speakers??) for a receiver/amp. I´ve been wandering on amazon and ebay and have found good (at least i think so) deals for receivers like HK 3390 High Performance 2 x 80W Stereo Receiver 270, and a couple of ONKYO´s between 200-300.

Like i said, i am new at this and any help could really be useful.

Thanks!!
  • 07-29-2011, 07:17 AM
    Mash
    http://www.magnepan.com/model_MMG for $599/pair. These will probably stay with you for a long time. Add an amplifier & have at it.

Mackie HR824Mk2 at about $650 each but they have amplifiers built in. Add two ART Tube MP Studios for $30 each for volume & connecting to sources, plus 2 20' XLR cables $10 each if you shop it.........

These are not beginner level items but you can live with them a long time.
  • 08-13-2011, 12:35 AM
    jiaojiao
    Fuel, fuel!
    :23:

hahahahahahaha
  • 08-13-2011, 07:20 AM
    RGA
    Seriously guys - Ska - rocksteady - Dub - and Magnepan go together like Palin and Obama in a triple X movie - the mere thought makes them both and the rest of the planet retch.

Without knowing a budget it's tough to say.

I have suggestions of different speakers depending on the budgets under $1k - $1k-$2k, and up.

Questions:

1. budget
    2. room size shape
    3. how bog can the speakers be
    4) how loud do you like them to go
    5. what is the amp/turntable
    6. can the speakers be placed in corners or near wall
    7.Do you think you might like to buy a tube amplifier in the future - if your answer is yes or maybe - then it matters.
  • 08-16-2011, 04:59 AM
    nad_obed
    best speakers towards type of music
    IMHO, you should rather be looking for the best speakers towards your music type inclination (rock, acoustics, vocals, etc) rather than the vinyl paltform.
  • 11-26-2011, 01:58 PM
    madarahr
    I am new to this but an enthusiast. I purchased a Technics turntable to start listening to vinyl. My taste is varied but I would be listening to classical, jaz, acoustic guitars, discos. The house I purchased recently has in wall speakers which are Niles. I would like to replace them with something much nicer around 1000 to 3000 dollar range. The room is small yet I want something with a punch yet warm for extended listening. An suggestions would be a good start of my research.
  • 11-26-2011, 03:21 PM
    Mash
    Many claim that you should pick the "right" speakers for the music you listen to...
    This is hogwash.

A loudspeaker is accurate, or it is not. Any characteristic such as "warm" is an inaccuracy and therefor should be avoided.

"I would like to replace them with something much nicer around 1000 to 3000 dollar range."

Per pair, I presume, or $500 to $1500 each................ But what about amplifiers and all those other fun items?

Anyway, look here:

Mackie HR824Mk2 at $680 each, or $1360 a pair. These include amplifiers and are servo-feedback controlled (like a Velodyne servosub). These accept RCA pinplug interconnects, cannon interconnects, and balanced XLR interconnects. These arre very accurate as they are recording studio monitors. You should be able to add a Velodyne SPL-1500R 15" powered sub for $1000 but the Mackies will go down to a clean 40 Hz..

Note that the unbalanced RCA pinplug and cannon interconnects will have an absolute length limit of about 25 feet while balanced XLR interconnects can be ANY length.

Want to spend a little more? These should fit in your room:

Magnepan MMG speakers... $625 a pair direct from Magnepan (These are intended to pull you into the Magnepan World but they are still really excellent for the money.)

Then add a suitable amplifier:
    Jolida 302b, about $750.

Total is $1375.

That leaves you about $1525, and you should be able to add a Velodyne SPL-1500R 15" powered sub for $1000.

Either sepup will be far, far better than "much nicer".
  • 11-26-2011, 08:06 PM
    madarahr
    The second option is something really interesting. However after reading a few reviews on the MMG's it seems like they can't be mounted in the wall (to replace the ones that I have) and I have a small room only that it is open to the house (some review mention that it preferably be a closed small room). If I have to place these speakers on the floor, there hardly is room for these let alone any speakers. I am still thinking about ways to re arrange the furniture to accommodate these but seems impossible.
  • 11-27-2011, 12:15 AM
    Mash
    Against-the-Wall mounting is one option
    A. The Mackies have a compensation switch which you set for position:
    1. In a corner (against both walls);
    2. Against one wall, i.e. not in a corner;
    3. Away from walls and corners.
    Then mount them to the wall, about 4 to 5 feet off of the floor, using the threaded insert on the bottom.
    There are also other adjustment switches.
    Visit Mackie.

B. Magnepan has another speaker that IS mounted TO the wall. You unfold it out "into" the room for listening and fold it back when you are not using it. Visit Magnepan for details.

Speakers mounted INTO a wall are always problematic because you must first install them to listen to them. Then what happens if the selected position sounds bad? Oops. Your selection is limited, and this type of loudspeaker is intended for people who value discreet decor more than sound quality.

If your room is too tiny for any loudspeaker really worth messing with, use headphones. Stax has/had some great electrostatic 'phones. I have two sets with a tube driver. There is/was an American company that had a great electrostatic headphone, and the name Shure comes to my mind. Grado had some pretty good dynamic 'phones.
  • 11-27-2011, 09:45 AM
    madarahr
    Thanks Mash. I will have to explore placing the Magnepans. One more thing I read about the JD-302 is that they don't have a phono connector. Also with the vinyl player I would need a pre-amp. Any suggestions ?
  • 11-27-2011, 03:02 PM
    Mash
    If you are adventurous ....
    and if you want to try the MMG.... some people have mounted them to the ceiling. The holes for the "feet" are toward the bottom of the frame but you could hang them upside down because they are symmetric about their horizontal center. And tilt the "bottom" (the speaker's top) back away from you.

Vinyl player? What is that? I have heard rumors that people once "spun" 12" diameter thin black discs on rotating platters to listen to music.... can you believe that?

Very few units offer phono preamps today, so you probably will have to get a seperate unit. This has sparked a cottage indu$try. You will want to look around carefully if you care about the health of your wallet.

I bought a three year old Conrad-Johnson PV10B (B has phono preamp) from Gene Rubin on ebay Nov 2006. It is quite nice. I also have a Davis-Brinton phono preamp in another system. It is excellent and it is used with a passive control center/ ES Headphone tube unit in another system.
  • 11-27-2011, 08:56 PM
    eisforelectronic
    I have a Rega Brio-R integrated amp. Built in MM phono stage on input 1 and 50 wpc. Runs my floor standers great and sounds like a lot more power. I would start with this and then get a nice set of speakers to fit your budget.
  • 11-29-2011, 07:23 AM
    madarahr
    I am thinking of the JoLida JD 9A or the Yaqin SM12B for a preamp.The JD's cost about $450.
  • 11-29-2011, 11:46 AM
    Mash
    The JD9A looks like a great choice. The 12AX7 tube is a dual channel durable workhorse. They last a long time and are plentiful. Look for some Eurorean or Russian (Soviet) tubes because JoLida may be using Chinese tubes. I replaced the Chinese tubes in my JoLida 302B and that was a real improvement.

My translations for info on the Yaqin SM12B were faulty so I have no opinion. I do wonder how you would ever get parts or service if there is a language problem.
  • 12-13-2011, 11:03 PM
    madarahr
    Help
    Well I ended up with Jd 9 for a pre-amp and ordered a jd 502 over the phone. The sales man talked me into this and mentioned that since I have a phono pre-amp I would just require a jd 502P a straight power amp. The unit arrived yesterday and there are no controls for volume etc. I live very remote and shipping costs are outrageous even if I have to return or trade the unit for something which has controllers. Is there something I can do at this point ?
  • 12-14-2011, 02:51 PM
    Mash
    Is this an oops ?
    Are you (basically) describing a miscomunication?

1 A phono preamp (usually) does not have volume controls, balance, etc. and connects the cart to the "preamp" (2)
    2 A preamp has volume controls, etc. and may or may not (these days) have a phono preamp built in
    3 An integrated amp also has a preamp (see 2)
    4 A power amp is only that- no volume, etc.

So- do you have 1 and 4 ?

And you needed 1 and 3 ?

Would the seller make a correction in your favor (since it sounds like you wanted 1 and 3 and he may have pushed you to 1 and 4 ?
  • 12-14-2011, 09:10 PM
    madarahr
    The salesman admitted that there was a miscommunication. They will be shipping a Jd 5T for a very nominal price to rectify the issue. I would then have the jd502p, jd 5T and the jd9A. This seems like a better route in the end. Awaiting the Maggies MMG's.
  • 12-16-2011, 11:04 AM
    Mash
    Isn't that nice......
    Your problem is solved, and you can use MM or MC carts.

So you got a break on the $425 Jd 5T...........

Those MMG's should sing.

Now look for a 15" servo-sub ..... There may be some good 12" servo subs..... (a non-servo-sub will not blend so well & servo subs come with amps).

Cross-over at 80 Hz.
  • 12-16-2011, 01:59 PM
    JoeE SP9
    Most subs are not servo subs. However, most subs are powered. Servo subs tend to cost more than a regular powered sub. The associated circuitry required for servo operation always increases the cost.

The Titanic Series from Parts Express come in three sizes (10", 12" and 15"), are reasonably priced and perform extremely well for the money. However, they are not servo subs.

Parts Express also has a slightly less expensive line of sub woofers. They are the reference series. They are also good value for the money.
  • 12-16-2011, 11:58 PM
    madarahr
    Yes I paid $100 and no shipping for the jd5T. I would shop with usatubeaudio anytime.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mash View Post
    Your problem is solved, and you can use MM or MC carts.

So you got a break on the $425 Jd 5T...........