AR Newbie Registered Member

Best speaker within budget

Hi folks,
    I am looking for the best option for a set of speakers for home theater and also to hear music. The room dimensions are 18" x 12". They will be connected to :
    Denon AVR 2807 receiver
    Denon 1930CI DVD
    Finally and more important the budget is around $2.5 - $3K

Thanks for any guidance on this.

Forum Regular

KEF for my money..

There's really no 'best option' but for my money and at your budget, KEF IQ9 mains, IQ6 center and IQ8 surrounds. If the speakers consume too much space for your liking, KEF sells smaller 'lifestyle' systems that are far better sounding to my ears than other similar systems. I don't work for or profit from KEF by the way. I do own a pair of IQ9's though continue to be impressed with their performance. You'll want to throw a sub into the mix. It might be a budget buster but I'd look at SVS and HSU for high performance, reasonably priced product. I have a pc ultra but it's waf factor is somewhere in the negative numbers. The HSU VTF-3 or VTF-2 would be a good way to go.

Forum Regular
    Check out the offerings at http://www.av123.com, particularly the x series, and read what owners say in the forum. I use the x-ls monitors in a second system and am very pleased with the sound. The company is very customer service oriented.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbrider
    Check out the offerings at http://www.av123.com, particularly the x series, and read what owners say in the forum. I use the x-ls monitors in a second system and am very pleased with the sound. The company is very customer service oriented.
    Ditto.
    But I'm liking these Mini's more and more:
    http://www.av123.com/products_produc...s&product=78.1
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Thanks guys, have any of you try the PSB GT1s?..I just got that recommendation, and wanted to check in this audience...

Quote Originally Posted by miste100
    Thanks guys, have any of you try the PSB GT1s?..I just got that recommendation, and wanted to check in this audience...
    While I have not heard them personally, there are several of my PSB pals on this site that have been ravin' about them...LuvinDaBlues and Anamorphic. I remember hearing one person comparing them to the Platinum's, which would be a huge achievement for the GT1's. I don't think you're gonna go wrong with anything from this PSB line.

Check out the OMD series from Mirage.

Hi folks,
    I am looking for the best option for a set of speakers for home theater and also to hear music. The room dimensions are 18" x 12". .
    Man, those are gonna have to be some awfully tiny speakers to fit in a room a foot and a half by 1 foot!

Are you going 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1? How about 4 (or 5, or 6) Paradigm Reference Studio 20s, with matching center channel, and a nice SVS sub?

Jeff
    PIONEER: SX-780, CT-F700, HPM-100(x4), DV-C302D, PD-F1007, PL-514; DENON: AVR-983; SONY: D-15, DVP-985V, DVP-CX860(x2); TOSHIBA: XR-9459; TECHNICS: SL-1800MK2, SL-1700MK2, SL-1400MK2; NAD: PE2200; PARADIGM REFERENCE: STUDIO 100 V.2, SERVO-15, X-30; CERWIN-VEGA: DX-9; REALISTIC: MACH 2; RCA: 42" LCD HDTV

Just my 2 pesos as a PSB GT1 owner...I have absolutely no regrets and compared to my Infinitys it's like having a new music collection. I am hearing things that I didn't know were on the tracks or at least seamed way down in the mix and are now very forward. The sound stage, definition and presence are outstanding. Since they are front ported, they are a bit easier to place also.

If you have children in the house be aware that the high gloss lacquer finish will show every fingerprint and dust speck and scratch easy. I'm going to put a hard wax on them after my girlfriend dusted them with the wrong cloth and now they have fine scratches on them.

Take a listen, compare to speakers a bit more expensive and I'm thinkin' you will seriously consider them.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    'm going to put a hard wax on them after my girlfriend dusted them with the wrong cloth and now they have fine scratches on them.
    Sounds like it's time for a new girlfriend!

Quote Originally Posted by emorphien
    Sounds like it's time for a new girlfriend!
    It was close for awhile but, Naw, I'll keep her around for a bit
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Audio casualty StevenSurprenant's Avatar

Guys, finally I got a good deal with B&W 683. Now I am looking for the surrounds and the subwoofer. . I was looking at the SVS Pci but there are a bit big for the room. Any recommendation will be appreciated

Guys, finally I got a good deal with B&W 683. Now I am looking for the surrounds and the subwoofer. . I was looking at the SVS Pci but there are a bit big for the room. Any recommendation will be appreciated
    Perhaps Velodyne or PSB subs.

Mutant from table 9
    IMNSHO, mail order is the only way to go for subs in the $500 to $2500 price range. Look at Axiom Audio, Rocket at AV123, HSU subs, and the Titanic Subwoofer kits at partsexpress.com

FWIW, I would go with the SVS or the Titanic from partsexpress. SVS uses the Titanic drivers. Either will give you the most bang for your buck.

Also, as far as the SVS being too big for the room, if you mean size wise - then okay. But if you mean sound wise - then there is no such thing as a sub too big for a room. You can always turn a sub down, but you can't always turn it up. Bigger is generally better when it comes to subs.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

I'll 2nd the Titanic from PE.

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    I'll 2nd the Titanic from PE.
    3rd......
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Thread Information