Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    i dont know much about it (too expensive to care), but I saw a pair on ebay once and was impressed by it visually.
    Borders
    Language
    Culture

Forum Regular

The Avalon Eidion and Usher Dancer Cp-8571 and my personal favorites that i own

Avalon eidolon,Usher Dancer CP8571,Dali Hellicon 400,Quad 11L,Totem Arrow,Mordaunt-Short Performance 6,Mordaunt-Short Avant 908

nightflier

Audio Physic

I can't believe no one has mentioned Audio Physic. The Kronos looks like it could be sitting in the messhall of the Starship Enterprise. I've never heard them, though, and apparently side-firing woofers are not ideal, but that's a smart looking speaker.

Don't care much for the cone-on-the-cabinet look of Wilson Audio speakers and their ilk. I suppose they sound much better than they look, though.

I really do have to tip my hat to the manufacturing process involved in the wood panneling on the Sonus Faber speakers. They are absolutely well built.

Also, while they look somewhat ordinary, the Dynaudio cabinets are not only meticulously made, but everything in the design is there for some sonic purpose, even in their entry level Audience line. While I don't know enough about the B&W nautillus design, it does seem to me that this is taking the design beyond the purpose of great sound reproduction. Kind of like comparing a Saab to a Jag: I would rather be seen in the latter, but the practicality is overshadowed by design (crash test results anyone?).

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    I can't believe no one has mentioned Audio Physic. The Kronos looks like it could be sitting in the messhall of the Starship Enterprise. I've never heard them, though, and apparently side-firing woofers are not ideal, but that's a smart looking speaker.

Don't care much for the cone-on-the-cabinet look of Wilson Audio speakers and their ilk. I suppose they sound much better than they look, though.

I really do have to tip my hat to the manufacturing process involved in the wood panneling on the Sonus Faber speakers. They are absolutely well built.

Also, while they look somewhat ordinary, the Dynaudio cabinets are not only meticulously made, but everything in the design is there for some sonic purpose, even in their entry level Audience line. While I don't know enough about the B&W nautillus design, it does seem to me that this is taking the design beyond the purpose of great sound reproduction. Kind of like comparing a Saab to a Jag: I would rather be seen in the latter, but the practicality is overshadowed by design (crash test results anyone?).
    I agree with the Audio Physic mention....esp. the Yara. You find yourself just staring at it...as if it's a piece of art. Sounds beautiful to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by thepogue
    but I kinda like the blue logo on the ML Prodigy's....and I really like the look of Innersounds...and I love the big Legecy's...awesome looking

Pogue

haha, i never thought about it, but your right...i can see the buck knife influence it in. To hear is to appreciate.

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    I rather like Maggies because they don't look like speakers - more like decorative room dividers. While my current Sound Labs are a bit funky looking, my old Acoustats got a similar reaction. Folks would walk around them and ask "so where are the speakers?"

rw
    My Acoustats get the same response. "I thought they were room dividers" is the usual comment. Of course once they hear them it's a different story.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

I got the same reaction on my old Magnepan 3.6R. "Whats that ?!? a door?"
    Of course now with the Apogee's everybody thinks its something from the 2001 Space Odysee
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Dali

DALI makes some of the finest looking cabinets:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Klim
    DALI makes some of the finest looking cabinets:

Yes definetly !! The Euphonia series especially. The big one is over 10K euro tough....
    My friend at Stuttgart carries them exclusively with Lyngdorf Audio. He is also the biggest B&W dealer, owns part of NAD and Rotel ;-)

They soud very good and are definetly very good build quality.
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

The Acoustat Model 3's I once owned made even me think of the monoliths from 2001. With the black grills on they had nearly the same effect on me as non-audiophiles and I knew what they were. Incidentally, they were the only full range ES speakers I've ever heard that needed no subwoofer. They were flat to 28Hz in the room I had them in. Without a doubt they had the best bass I've ever owned. The bass I get from my current subs is deeper but not better. Maybe having a crossover with my current rig has something to do with it. They were also more efficient than my current ES's, both fronts and rears.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information