Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

I'll go super cheap-o...just like me!!!

nOrh 3.0 for $195.00 shipped!!! great lil speaker..

Peace, Pogue
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    • Mark Levinson No. 27
    • Musical Fidelity 308cr
    • Martin Logan Prodigy's
    • Ariel Acoustics 10-T
    • Rega Planet CD
    • CJ Premier 9 DAC
    • Linn LP12 - Basik Plus - Valhalla
    • Benz Micro Cart.
    • Akai GX 747 Reel to Reel
    • Straight Wire Virtuoso Interconnects

Forum Regular

special app speakers

upper level in-walls:
    Jamo d830iw (a tad more than 2K ), the best in its' class!!!!!!
    in-walls:
    Niles MP6r truly multipurpose in-wall, great value for whole house system
    flat on-walls:
    Pinnacle P5.2ow, exceptional highs/ mids
    in-ceilings:
    Speakercraft AIM8 one, very musical, very flexible
    outdoors ( building mounted ):
    Niles OS10 excellent value for mid size backyards
    outdoors ( free standing )
    Rockustics Rocky JR. good deal for mid to large landscaped yards
    computer speakers:
    Bose Companion 3 ( yeah, i know what you're going to say but these tiny little thing r pretty good for that application)

more...nOrh

Here's FYI a link...I've heard (and own) the 3.0 and 4.0's...and consiter them a great buy for the sound and presentation...just plain fun speaks!! BTW if you go to thier web page and hunt around a bit...you'll see a picture I jokingly posted here around five or six years ago...It was a spoof company named "smOre"...it was kinda cute.

Peace, Pogue

http://www.norh.com/
    • Mark Levinson No. 27
    • Musical Fidelity 308cr
    • Martin Logan Prodigy's
    • Ariel Acoustics 10-T
    • Rega Planet CD
    • CJ Premier 9 DAC
    • Benz Micro Cart.

AR "Wisdom of Yoda"Member LEAFS264's Avatar
    PSB Stratus Silveri's and the Stratus Mini Both are fantasic speakers

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Over in the HT forum we're discussing the most "overrated" speakers so why not discuss the most underrated? This can be a thread we can all point newbies to when they ask the oft-posted query: "What is the best speaker for X dollars?"

Here's the rules:
    1) Price limit $2,000/pair. This seems to be a reasonable ceiling for most.
    2) New only. If we consider used, we'll be here all day. Street price is fine, as long as you can substantiate an over $2K speaker selling for less than $2K. No guessing.
    3) Have fun!

__________________________________________________ __________________

My list includes but is not limited to:
    1) Von Schweikert VR1 and VR2 (betcha didn't see that one coming )
    2) Maggie MMG (for $500, how can you really go wrong?)
    3) Paradigm 20v3 (boy, that's a terrific little speaker)
    4) EFE AR.com DIY (never heard it, but I trust Kex's ears and Ed's clearly knows what he's doing)
    5) Epos ELS3 (very accurate although completely lacking in the bottom octaves)
    Magnepan MG-1.6 QR's at $1900 or so, the best buy in audio.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular
    Over in the HT forum we're discussing the most "overrated" speakers so why not discuss the most underrated? This can be a thread we can all point newbies to when they ask the oft-posted query: "What is the best speaker for X dollars?"

Here's the rules:
    1) Price limit $2,000/pair. This seems to be a reasonable ceiling for most.
    2) New only. If we consider used, we'll be here all day. Street price is fine, as long as you can substantiate an over $2K speaker selling for less than $2K. No guessing.
    3) Have fun!

__________________________________________________ __________________

My list includes but is not limited to:
    1) Von Schweikert VR1 and VR2 (betcha didn't see that one coming )
    2) Maggie MMG (for $500, how can you really go wrong?)
    3) Paradigm 20v3 (boy, that's a terrific little speaker)
    4) EFE AR.com DIY (never heard it, but I trust Kex's ears and Ed's clearly knows what he's doing)
    5) Epos ELS3 (very accurate although completely lacking in the bottom octaves)
    Paradigm
    Klipsch
    Magnapan
    and of course DYNAUDIO

Quote Originally Posted by A-Audiophile
    Paradigm
    Klipsch
    Magnapan
    and of course DYNAUDIO
    I think that Dynaudio is a magnificent speaker (esp. the 52se), but the drawback of including them on a list of best bang for the buck is the extra cost of amplification for those speakers. Considering the speakers in and of themselves may be a good value, but we cannot ignore the fact that they need serious, and potentially expensive, amplification.

How 'bout getting a little more specific?

Quote Originally Posted by A-Audiophile
    Paradigm
    Klipsch
    Magnapan
    and of course DYNAUDIO
    Which speakers? While I can appreciate that you consider these manufacturers to offer great bang for the buck, certainly there are specific speaker you have in mind. Remember, this isn't a list of our favorite manufacturers, but a list of speakers that through experience comparing them with others you feel to offer exceptional value for the money.

If you want to go cheap, i.e. <$200:

I recall these Boston's (CR8) sounding pretty good when I listened to them some time ago:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...766942210&rd=1

Or another pair I saw, though I have never heard. Looks promising for $75:

Forum Regular
    The best value for me has to be the Paridigm Atoms. For $195 (that was a couple of years ago, they may be more now) you get amazing sound. And another vote for the Studio 20's.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Hmmmm....
    Lots of good models mentioned here.

I like the Ar.com's, I replaced my Studio 20's with these (v.2's, the v.3's might actually be a micron better overall than these, maybe I'll do a head-to-head someday)... At under $200 in parts it's great...I think you could get a wee bet better with $180 in parts, especially if you were happy with an 80Hz crossover point and intended only to use these with a sub, but as an already designed kit they are an impressive value. Like all speakers, might not be to everyone's tastes though...they get compared to Revel's for sound characteristics...I haven't heard any speakers by Revel so I'm not sure.

Dayton BR-1 kit from Parts Express: $140...are you kidding? These easily compete with GOOD $350-$400 speakers...I've personally compared a pair of $400 Boston Acoustics (model escapes me)and Paradigm Mini Monitors to these. I'm still not sure which I like best, but that says it all... A complete, and awesome 6 speaker system for $450? Sign me up. They're a bit on the ugly side though)

PMC DB1- Very nice speaker for $1000, I wish I heard these years ago.

Totem Rainmaker: $800 CDN for a speaker that rivals the Studio 20v.3, with a better midrange IMO...bass is a bit light, but what's there is tight and accurate. Totem is a hit and miss company, but this one is a real hit with me.

For subs, I'm with Paul on the Dayton Quatro...anything that can top the 12" Titanic for 1/2 the price is my kind of sub...You won't get 115 dB of SPL, or below 19Hz, but if sound quality is more important to you than specs, this is the way to go! If that damn plate amp ever arrives I'll finish mine and post a more thorough review.

Forum Regular
    Put me down for Vandersteen 2Ce's... I have had them for 14 years now and still get great enjoyment from them. As an "acquired taste", I would definitely recommend hearing them. You may find you love them, then again you may not. Avoid a mistake either way.

jocko

Quote Originally Posted by vr6ofpain
    If you want to go cheap, i.e. <$200:

I recall these Boston's (CR8) sounding pretty good when I listened to them some time ago:
    I always thought that Boston's acoustic suspension speakers (the A and T series models) were very much underappreciated in their time. Fortunately, this means that a lot of those speakers are available for cheap on Ebay. I still use a pair of the bookshelf A40s in my two-channel system. Their current CR bookshelf series has some of the best stuff that they've made since they discontinued their original A series models.

That HD series model that you posted below was one of their first ported models. IMO, Boston's first group of ported speakers was disappointing in their sound quality.

Lightbulb Dayton BR-1 sound...

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Dayton BR-1 kit from Parts Express: $140...are you kidding? These easily compete with GOOD $350-$400 speakers...I've personally compared a pair of $400 Boston Acoustics (model escapes me)and Paradigm Mini Monitors to these. I'm still not sure which I like best, but that says it all... A complete, and awesome 6 speaker system for $450? Sign me up. They're a bit on the ugly side though
    I've considered picking these up, just to build them and have a listen ($140 shipped). Are they good? Unfortunately the Search will not take "BR1" or "BR 1" or "BR-1"....which is really annoying because someone might have reviewed it on here.

Forum Regular
    I have to agree with Geoffcin regarding the Cambridge Soundworks Newton M80's. They are nice speakers for the money. Money well spent IMO.

The BR-1's have some tweeter issues, could use a bit better cabinetry and won't play ear bleeding loud, but you will be surprised at how well they keep up with $400-$500 speakers. That being said there's only so much the BR-1's can do.

I've heard 2 pairs now, there's been some revisions to the tweeter since the initial design. I'm no stranger to inexpensive speakers, having owned Paradigm Atoms, Titans, PSB Alpha's, and currently Axiom M3Ti's. The BR-1's in my opinion are better than all of these and approach, if not surpass the Mini Monitors I use to own in terms of performance...Though they have an overall warm sound to them, much different than the Mini Monitors - I find most budget speakers to be bright and not as smooth at the top end, perhaps a reflection of listening preferences...if you like bright speakers the BR-1's will be at a disadvantage. Excellent details from the Dayton silky tweeter though.
    I have no doubt that for $140 in parts and a bit of skill, you could DIY a better speaker, but these already have all the hard work done for you. An incredible value. IMO, easily the best "entry level" speakers out there, which is saying a lot considering how many good $200-$250 speakers there are out there these days. They can be assemble in an hour or so. Throw in $15 for a nice cherry vinyl wrap or $20 for wood veneer and you can fix up the looks too.

Take the plunge, come back, and be the first to write a glimmering review...

Forum Regular
    Ditto that prior post on the little Daytons... I bought a pair for my 9 year-old, to go with a bunch of old equipment I had laying around. For the money, these little guys are pretty darn hard to beat. They are NOT bright, on the contrary very subdued. You cannot blast them. However, the sound quality will surprise and impress. Did I mention $140.00? I was not sure what to expect, but for the money (free shipping) I decided to give it a try. I would not have been terribly disappionted if they were junk... Quite the opposite, I was completely overwhelmed with what I received, for the money.

I have bought lots of stuff from Parts Express and have never been let down.

jocko

Well....I tend to dislike bright speakers. So maybe that is more reason to go with them! Ya parts express is awesome, I buy all sorts of stuff from them. Be it quick ties, or a small butane torch, they have everything.

Ya know I was really impressed by a buddies set of Totem Mite's. I can't find a resonable dealer of totem nearby, so gettign them might be hard for others.

Anyone else hear them? They were one of the more affordable models the company made a while back. Plus the enclosure was beautiful.

AR Newbie Registered Member

Wharfedale is the answer to your question.

I have read the starting point of this thread and note that many of the responses go to the speakers costing upwards (and beyond) of $2000/pair. Did any of these writers read the original thread (or is it that they just don't care). The writer's system was a TECHNICS! Help him out! OK TOPSPEED...go to ebay. look at Wharfedale's offerings....buy if you can, EMERALD 97 or EMERALD 99 in black WOOD...These speakers sound GREAT. They are larger floostanders. Forget specs...you have to LISTEN to speakers not read them. These speakers, as well as the emerald 95, 93 and 91's ALL SOUND GREAT...guaranteed they will blow your technics away...just how much BASS you get will vary with the size of the speaker...I have gorgeous BLOND WOOD or ROSEWOOD EMERALD 91's bookshelf...and some smaller DIAMOND 7.1 Anniversary in BLACK that are AWESOME. I HAVE A PAIR OF BlACK EMERALD 97's FLOORSTANDING for $450 pair that will change your view of music. You'll hear things you've never heard before. Clarity and musicality is the key. Each room will affect the sound of your speakers...wharfedales are usually ported and they need lots of room behind (if rear ported) them to breathe. Check out the wharfedale website...

Uh Gatlaw, you sure you've got the right thread buddy?

Read the first post, check your prescription, and ease up on the ALL CAPS.

Thanks for the suggestions tho.

Geez, I have an old set of Emerald 95's I think in my garage...not bad, nothing great though...I find it hard to believe the 97 would be much better. They were a great pickup at a used furniture dealer after my PSB Alpha's had an unfortunate fall...

wow....thats alot of jumpin and shoutin for your first post...

and to suggest that writers "just dont care"...shows yer butt...and for the record...if you really did read the whole thread...you see my suggestion was under 200 bucks...chill bro and you'd do well to get to know a few of the players before you go kickin in doors..

Peace, Pogue

Quote Originally Posted by gatlaw
    I have read the starting point of this thread and note that many of the responses go to the speakers costing upwards (and beyond) of $2000/pair. Did any of these writers read the original thread (or is it that they just don't care). The writer's system was a TECHNICS! Help him out! OK TOPSPEED...go to ebay. look at Wharfedale's offerings....buy if you can, EMERALD 97 or EMERALD 99 in black WOOD...These speakers sound GREAT. They are larger floostanders. Forget specs...you have to LISTEN to speakers not read them. These speakers, as well as the emerald 95, 93 and 91's ALL SOUND GREAT...guaranteed they will blow your technics away...just how much BASS you get will vary with the size of the speaker...I have gorgeous BLOND WOOD or ROSEWOOD EMERALD 91's bookshelf...and some smaller DIAMOND 7.1 Anniversary in BLACK that are AWESOME. I HAVE A PAIR OF BlACK EMERALD 97's FLOORSTANDING for $450 pair that will change your view of music. You'll hear things you've never heard before. Clarity and musicality is the key. Each room will affect the sound of your speakers...wharfedales are usually ported and they need lots of room behind (if rear ported) them to breathe. Check out the wharfedale website...
    • Mark Levinson No. 27
    • Musical Fidelity 308cr
    • Martin Logan Prodigy's
    • Ariel Acoustics 10-T
    • Rega Planet CD
    • CJ Premier 9 DAC
    • Benz Micro Cart.

AR Newbie Registered Member

Oops...I may have mis threaded this....

Uh Gatlaw, you sure you've got the right thread buddy?

Read the first post, check your prescription, and ease up on the ALL CAPS.

Thanks for the suggestions tho.
    Sorry! I don't have my sea legs yet. I have to find my post to see where my caps went awry.

No worries. Welcome to the board .

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information