Forum Regular

Which of these are best?

I found some speakers i am interested in but I dont know a whole lot about speakers. i have learnt a bit from this forum but yeah. I i could have people opinions on this company and which of the speakers they make is the best set that would be sweet. Oh, and these are for mainly music(mainly heavy metal but classical and jazz and other) but some gaming and movies. thank you

here they are: http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=...studiomonitors
    Last edited by Rocker82; 02-05-2006 at 08:36 AM.

music fanatic
    If you're talking about using them for all-purpose computer speakers, yeah they are pretty darn good..decent bang for the buck. Don't know about your budget, but something like the BX5a's would probably do well for your use. Even the DX4s would probably do fine. They aren't going to have a ton of bass, but they will reproduce music much better than your average computer speaker. If you want bass for games and stuff, the 2.1 system would be okay too, but you might as well just go with a computer speaker (like Klipsh or Swans) if you're seeking oomph. Most places like sweetwater.com or musiciansfriend.com sell the BX5a's for around $300. There are tons of other powered monitors in this price/class range, so look around if you can. Just go to your local music/recording store (guitar center or something like that) and see if you can listen to a few....and if you're going to spring for powered monitors, you'll probably want to be looking at an audio interface card like the m-audio 2496, but you have plenty of options there as well.

Suspended
    One thing I noticed you should be aware of is the input options. If you're talking computer speakers most computers I've seen don't have balanced or 1/4" inputs. The only model I saw using RCA jacks were the surround speakers. You may be able to find a 1/4" stereo to mini-plug stereo adapter, but you may want to check first. Or these may require a 1/4" input for each speaker requiring a mini-plug stereo to 2-1/4" mono 'Y' cable. They do appear to be very reasonable, the specs look good and the company appears to provide good engineering, but ask about their return policy before purchasing. Low wattage near-field monitors may not be exactly what you're looking for.

Forum Regular
    what about the EX66 monitor what is tha really for? I think they sell them individually is it supposed to be that kind that u only need one or would you buy 2 of these? how would that work? and is that monitor any good? I can see its damn expensive could you tell me why it is 800 for just one monitor? and the if i was to get the BX8a that would give me more wattage and oomph i think. would it be wise to get a set of one of the higher end M- Audio speakers and than get the SBX subwoofer to go along with it or would the speakers not need it? thanks alot again! sorry for my lack of speaker knowledge.

Forum Regular

I think the EX66 is much more expensive because it has a DigitalSignalProcessor in it and has digital inputs. It is also a 200 Watt system. I would say the EX66's are the only ones that dont really need subwoofers because they go down to about 40Hz by themselves. Just FYI, they read the frequency response wrong on the BX8a.. the vertical lines from 20Hz to 200Hz are 20Hz intervals, not 10. So they respond down to 60Hz instead of 40Hz, but the EX66's do go down to about 40, like they say. Apparently they put a lot more work into the EX66's. If I could afford them, they would be the ones to get.

Forum Regular
    If i was to get somthing other than the ex66 what would be second best? probably one of the pairs of speakers plus the SBX subwoofer?

Forum Regular
    ?????/

Forum Regular
    ?????? could i put the SBX subwoofer as the subwoofer for any of the other sets of speakers there?

Thread Information