Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

Vienna Accoustics matched with...

...what amp?

Hey Yo,

Alright characters, our new friend Eddie is in the unenviable position of replacing his entire rig after a house rending fire. Both two channel and multi-channel are important to him. Movies, cd, and sacd will eventually be involved and classical and jazz would be preferred genres.

For more info check out the "Destroyed by Fire" thread over in the "Home Theater" forum.

What combination of Viennas and amps have you heard that did the deal?

Gracias

Forum Regular
    Hello,

bobsticks was kind enough to set up this inquiry for me on the Speakers Forum. I started a thread on the HT forum because my A/V Gear was destroyed in a house fire. It is a long post with a great deal of helpful recommendations from the HT community. The bottom line is that I managed to get my wife and twin 6 year old sons out of harms way and then put out the blaze. I injured myself in the process and am on medical leave from burns to both forearms and compressed lumbar spinal vertabrae.

Now for the good news. My wife is 100% supportive of purchasing a new HT on a $15K to $20K budget. Room size is 20"L x 14'W with 8' ceilings. Floor plan is open with triple archways delineating rooms. Reflection is minimal from window glass. Floor is 100% carpeted on top of sound deadening foam insulation. Walls are drywall. No mirrors or paintings. Minimalist.

I am a classically trained musician. My twins study classical piano at a prestigious Music Conservatory in NY and have been playing for 3 years. I have 2 digital pianos in my home, plus one Yamaha acoustic upright piano and one Steinway Grand piano (thankfully all undamaged). The instruments have now been moved to a dedicated Music Rehearsal Room. I also own several electric guitars, basses, amps, and drums.

Now for the challenge. I wish to purchase speakers that are not overly bright or Ultra- revealing. My preference is for a more neutral relaxed system that will be utilized for extended listening sessions. Solo Piano music from the Classical, Romantic and Modern epochs are my preferred choices for music. Think Vladimir Horowitz, Annie Fischer, Earl Wild, Van Cliburn, Marc-Andre Hamelin, Claudio Arrau, as pianists and Chopin, Schumann, Schubert, Beethoven, Mozart, Rachmaninoff, Scriabin, Debussy, Ravel, Gershwin and Franck as composers. My wife and I also enjoy Orchestral Music, Piano and Violin concertos, and works for Bassoon, Clarinet, etc.

Jazz is my next most listened to music. Think Oscar Peterson, Art Tatum, Monk, Tal Farlow, Herb Ellis, Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Billie Holiday,
    and Ella Fitzgerald as a few of my regular spins.

My children and wife likewise enjoy my interests but also prefer silly children's songs, Folk Music, and softer classic rock (Electric Light Orchestra, The Cars, The Beatles, etc)

I am not a videophile looking for a Home Theater system. Categorize me as a professional musician who is first and foremost - A MUSIC LOVER. 80% of the time the new system will be in 2 channel stereo mode for extended listening - I may add the subwoofer at times depending on the piece. 10% of the time will be spent listening to my small but growing collection of multi-channel surround sound SACD's. Finally, 10% of the time will be utilized as a true Home Theater to enjoy concerts and movies with family and friends.

Given the extent of my injuries it has been difficult to audition speakers and I was explicitly ordered by my doctor not to drive or sit down for extended periods, Plus,
    I am a little loopy from the pain medicine.

I enjoyed listening to a pair of Audio Physic Tempo floorstanders the best so far. I did not care for the Revel models or new top of the line Theil. Likewise a pair of Totem Forrests sounded very (brittle?) - perhaps they all needed more run in time. The Magnaplanar 1.6 were sublime. However, it was the only time my wife said "No!" They were too monolithic for her tastes.

In closing, I turn to you who represent a vast pool of experience and firsthand knowledge about all things Speaker and request some time be spent at this thread to help reassemble a part of my life that was violently taken away by fire.

Thank you,

Eddie

Whoa mate!

dreadfully sorry to hear of your misfortune. Thank goodness your all ok. I'll do a bit of research and then share my thoughts. Your budget is decent so you should be able to put together a good system. Cheers and hope you feel better soon.

(I'm slightly biased, but...)

have you heard the thiels? especially the 2.4's are pretty interesting in you budget. (for a HT setup...)

or Audio physics, as you said...
    I heard the Tempo being driven by Naim equipment, they were very fast, big sounding and with alot of punch. But I could recommend you to listen to one of their slightly bigger models too, such as the scorpio, the virgo, or even the avanti. why? the enclosure is 'different', the tempo is one of their last 'small' enclosures, the better models are all deeper, so the response is better.

For stereo, you could couple them to an Accuphase too (exellent match), I've heard them with Mcintosh too, but I liked the accuphase setup better, the Mcintosh has a sweet, tube like mid, which is also what the audio physics do, so it might be too much of the good thing...

then again, I found Mcintosh + Thiel one of the best matches I've ever heard...

One other to consider is the Monitor Audio Platinum PL-300 (I think, just look up the platinum serie ), maybe slightly too neutral for your tastest, but definately worth listening to...

I'd say avalon too, but their 'entry level' model is pretty expensive already (the ascendant), but really, they sound like pure magic...
    (great synergy with spectral gear...)

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Forum Regular
    O'Shag and basite,

Thank you for being the first respondents to this thread started by my friend bobsticks for me.

I was not aware of the other Audio Physic models as that was my initial encounter auditioning the brand. I understand what you are explaining regarding the deeper wider cabinets sounding better. The Tempos were the only model the dealer had and they were IV models and not the current VI models. I will visit the Audio Physic website and see what other dealers are in close proximity to my home.

I had a bad experience with Thiel in the sense that the dealer played the flagship C 3.7 model which would have broken my budget. The Thiel's needed more break-in time and were a little harsh on some brass pieces. I am scheduled to return - maybe - to this dealer and audition the model you referenced.

I will investigate the other leads as well.

Thanks for the well wishes!

Pain is a reminder us of happier times for all. I will never take things for granted again and have enjoyed spending more time with my family.

Cheers,

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by TwinDad
    I had a bad experience with Thiel in the sense that the dealer played the flagship C 3.7 model which would have broken my budget. The Thiel's needed more break-in time and were a little harsh on some brass pieces. I am scheduled to return - maybe - to this dealer and audition the model you referenced.

I will investigate the other leads as well.

Thanks for the well wishes!

Pain is a reminder us of happier times for all. I will never take things for granted again and have enjoyed spending more time with my family.

Cheers,

Eddie

yeah, they can sound pretty harsh when not played in properly

what equipment was driving them? I know on AK there is one who owns a pair of 3.7's which he drives with Mcintosh gear, and he simply loves it...

the 2.4's are one model below the 3.7's (they cost about half as much as the 3.7's), but they can compete with speakers costing much more. and they're ideal for jazz and classical

one of their strong points is their imaging together with the soundstage and their speed. I own the previous model (the 2.3's) and everytime I turn on my system, it impresses me over and over again...

what other electronics are you planning to use?

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

My thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by TwinDad
    Hello,

I am not a videophile looking for a Home Theater system. Categorize me as a professional musician who is first and foremost - A MUSIC LOVER. 80% of the time the new system will be in 2 channel stereo mode for extended listening - I may add the subwoofer at times depending on the piece. 10% of the time will be spent listening to my small but growing collection of multi-channel surround sound SACD's. Finally, 10% of the time will be utilized as a true Home Theater to enjoy concerts and movies with family and friends.

Thank you,

Eddie
    Eddie, I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune but glad things didn't turn out even worse.

I really big consideration is the fact that you want multi-channel SACD, (I love it too). Since SACD digitial signal processing hasn't yet arrived, you'll want a receiver or prepro with "direct", i.e. a straight-though, non-DSP signal path. Consequent to that, speaker placement is critical: speakers must be equidistant from your listening position. In turn that affects your choice of speakers. I think Magneplanars are impractical in a room the size of yours; also I don't think you'll need or necessarily benefit from large floor standers. Personally I'd look at Paradigm Studio 20 or, with a bigger budget, Signature 2 for fronts and rears, and corresonding Paradigms for center and sub. Of course, there are plenty of other great speakers out there.

Less important than spearkers but not by much, is amplification. I'd take a pass on the likes of NAD, Rotel, Adcom, or Parasound (at least the lower price ranges). Instead I consider a Class 'D' type amp such as a trio (!) of PS Audio Trio A-100 or a NuForce MCH-3C7. I have no immediate suggestions for a prepro. Of course you'll want a nice multi-channel SACD player, perhaps a NAD M5.

For video I'd be wanting a BluRay player and a 50" 1080p plazma TV.
    Last edited by Feanor; 03-09-2008 at 09:06 AM.

Forum Regular
    Hello,

Here is what I have planned so far:

Pioneer Elite KURO PRO-110FD 50" Plasma TV - Not to sure about this one now. I have read so many posts about Plasma TV being plagued with buzzing noises. I would flip out if I heard buzzing all the time when I turned on TV. Now I'm looking at LCD with a wide viewing angle.

SVS PB Ultra 13 Subwoofer or B&W PV1

Integra DTC 9.8 Pre/Pro

Panasonic DMP-BD300 Blu-Ray Player or wait for spec 2 to come out in summer by Sony
    More than likely I am going to wait until Summer when better BluRay machines hit the market.

Cables by BlueJeanCables or Monoprice

APC or Belkin Power Conditioners

Speakers? After attending a concert today and moving my seating location a few times between pieces and intermission I was better able to hear what is imporatant to me soundwise. I am not a sweet spot guy. I want speakers that will produce a huge soundstage similar to the concert hall where every seat was a great seat - left, right , center. Because of my disability (lumbar spine is shot to hell) I really am physically unable to sit for a long time. When I listen to music I lay down, sit, walk around, lean against walls, etc. What speakers will mimic the huge soundstage of an actual concert hall? Please don't say BOSE. Just kidding! This forum has to think outside the traditional "sweet spot" toed-in equidistant triangle given my special circumstances. I have been disabled since 1994 and MUSIC keeps me going - when many others would have tossed in the towel by now. This THREAD really has to focus on creative speakers for my situation. The co-op does not allow owners to install in-wall or ceiling speakers.

Amps? Need something that will do surround sound as well as 2 channel audio. The Emotiva Audio XPA-5 was recommended by a few people through emails and PM's. Someone also recommended Bryston Amps - but I forgot the model number.

Furniture for TV and Components? My wife likes a piece by a company called BDI that is cherry, has doors with a mesh covering for air circulation and a huge spot for a center channel speaker. I think it is the BDI MERIDEN 8127 model. I also know about Sanus and Salamander from other posts. One person suggested having a carpenter design a built in wall unit to house the complete system - BUDGET KILLER!!!

Remote Control for everything? Pronto? Harmony? Universal? Probably go with an easy to use Harmony model so wife and kids can figure everything out easily when I'm not around.

Forget HT seating. We hired a company to clean carpets and furniture of smoke smell from fire. Everything worked out amazingly well. No smell. However, I do want to go to Stressless seating and check out their HT seating. They are supposed to be made for people with bad backs like myself.

I want the option of being able to switch to just 2 channel stereo with sub for enjoying music only on red book CD or CD/R compilations. I want the option to have surround sound audio from SACD.

Finally, I would like a Multichannel SACD/CD/CDR player for my discs that I started buying again. MUSIC IS KEY!!!

Thanks,

Eddie

I have to disagree some what with the idea that your room size does not need floor standers. You said you have an open design. I think that the Paradigm floor standers would be great in your room which is 20feet long and from the sounds of it open ended as well. I have my Magnepans in a 17x17' room with 9' ceilings and they are great and do not over power the room. I think the Studio 100's or Signature 6 would sound fantastic and give your that large sound stage you are looking for. Piano and classical music would sound great. You have quite a budget and dont really need to skimp on speakers. I would put the majority of your budget in speakers and TV. Then buy a good CDP and amp.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Thanks blackraven,

Evidently Paradigm has 2 different lines of dealers - those that carry the Signature series and those that carry non-Signature series. I found a dealer that is a bit of a drive for me that has the Sigs and it will have to wait until the weekend so my wife can take me there and listen as well. Dynaudio has my interest as well. as does, Monitor Audio Silver RS8 which work equally well close to wall or into the room.

Eddie

Forum Regular
    Acoustic Zen Adagio?

They do make a center channel speaker and surrounds as well. Someone was kind enough to offer me an extraordinary deal on the Adagios that he no longer needed. The rest of the speakers I would have to purchase through a dealer. They are a transmission line type speaker - whatever that means. They look BEAUTIFUL and are supposed to sound wonderful.

The Acoustic Zen Adagio speakers have my interest and I have printed out every review I could find to read tonight. I have to make a decision quickly or I may lose out on the offer. Wish I could demo them first but that is impossible because half a continent separates us distance-wise. Source is a highly respected member of Audio Community who read my story and allowed me to verify his name, existence, Audio credentials, etc.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Eddie
    Last edited by TwinDad; 03-11-2008 at 12:46 PM.

Forum Regular
    Greetings All,

This is what I am trying to say I want in a loudspeaker: DISPERSION!!!

The following excerpt is from Home Electronic Ideas Winter 2008 magazine article:

"SOUNDSTAGE and IMAGING are important concepts in Hi-Fi. DISPERSION refers to how well a loudspeaker can maintain a consistent sound throughout the room. Since we don't always sit in the "sweet spot" of a room, speakers with wide dispersion and a quality soundstage are ideal. Soundstage refers to how clearly and convincingly it reproduces a sense of space encoded on the recording.

SOUNDSTAGE and IMAGING are often used interchangeably, IMAGING actually relates how precisely sounds occur or emanate within a sounstage.

Picture a concert hall: This is your soundstage. Now imagine players standing on stage playing their instruments. These are your images."

I did not write the explanations above myself. They were paraphrased from the magazine mentioned earlier.

I, Eddie, am looking for loudspeakers known for their DISPERSION ability as a top priority.

Thanks,

Eddie

AR Newbie Registered Member

Unhappy The Best at Dispersion

MBL speakers are the best at dispersion hands down. But I think they are priced out of the ballpark.

Check them out: http://www.mbl-germany.de/Reference_html/101_e.html

Thread Information