Thread: B&w

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar

B&w

Hey gang. I am presently quite happy with my speakers, but have been eyeing up others. There is a good deal locally on some minty B&W DM22's. They seem well regarded and are priced for a song.

I'm curious what anyone's opinions are on these or any other models. I can't remember the exact model but I have heard a 600 series pair. They were nice but I dodn't get enough time.

when did you become a moderator? well thats cool. I did not know until I checked this thread but It seems you spend probably a lot of time of this site so it would be natural to make you a moderator. cool

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I also am glad he is a mod. He is a very enthusiatic member of AR. I am sure Adam thought it was easier to let him moderate than respond to all his report bad posts. That was the reason Eric asked me to moderate.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Lol. Right now I am a spam removal boy. But if you mess with me harley, I will delete all evidence that you were ever here. Hahahha just joking, well not really. Haha yes I am.

Yes I have no life so it's a great fit.

I just wanted to say thanks for all the great input to my thread guys. I really feel I can make a decision now.

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Hey gang. I am presently quite happy with my speakers, but have been eyeing up others. There is a good deal locally on some minty B&W DM22's. They seem well regarded and are priced for a song.

I'm curious what anyone's opinions are on these or any other models. I can't remember the exact model but I have heard a 600 series pair. They were nice but I dodn't get enough time.
    Dont know much about that model, but if they are the ones in Canuck Audio Mart and at that price, I would snatch them up...they wont last long
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I have owned B&W speakers in the past and have enjoyed them. They were the models that had a 6 1/2 inch woofer and aluminum dome tweeter. The drivers were mounted to a hard resin casting and the rest of the cabinet were MDF. They were good and I wish I still had them. If they work and are inexpensive I think they would be worth a try.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Aubio Maniac
    I'm one that like the British speakers in general, but B&W are as quality as you get. Even their less expensive models still perform well indeed. If I remember this model correctly, they have the dome tweeter in combination with the 8" woofer, and getting the two to mesh has been difficult for anyone to do. However, I trust B&W designers to get the slopes intersecting correctly. Are you looking at these just because of price or are there other reasons? I think the 600 series are excellent at their price point, and bring the B&W sound down to the affordable level. They are now building the 600 series in China to keep them affordable, but so are many other top brands and the list grows daily.

Quote Originally Posted by D. Paul Navigator
    I'm one that like the British speakers in general, but B&W are as quality as you get. Even their less expensive models still perform well indeed. If I remember this model correctly, they have the dome tweeter in combination with the 8" woofer, and getting the two to mesh has been difficult for anyone to do. However, I trust B&W designers to get the slopes intersecting correctly. Are you looking at these just because of price or are there other reasons? I think the 600 series are excellent at their price point, and bring the B&W sound down to the affordable level. They are now building the 600 series in China to keep them affordable, but so are many other top brands and the list grows daily.
    Paul I snatched up some Missions, check it out...

Mission 707

BTW, you know your bi-line says "Aubio" right?

Aubio Maniac
    Those are big speakers! It's been a while since I listened to Mission's, what period are these from?

Those 707's are from the mid 80's if i remember right. I remember that lineup with the light baffle and the Mission written across it. Heard nothing but good thing about them. My uncle had a pair of B&W DM7's in the early 80's and i remember them sounding amazing

Congrats on the promotion Poppachubby....3000+ posts in less than a year has to be a record
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 Integrated amp
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 CD
    Teac DS-H01 Dock
    Energy 22 Reference Connoisseur Speakers
    Cardas Cross and Cardas Hexlink Golden 5C
    Tara Labs RSC Reference Gen2

Forum Regular
    Thought you were saving up for a pair of OB Tektons?

Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist
    Thought you were saving up for a pair of OB Tektons?
    That could be a while given that he keeps swapping speakers every month

Forum Regular
    If speakers were women we'd all be philanderers.

Thread Information