Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Auditioned NHT and Paradigm speakers

I just returned for a Mom and Pop stereo shop in Minneapolis called stereoland. The carry the full line of Paradigm, NHT, ML, Rotel, Marantz and some Anthem and Jolida products.

I was with my friend who wants to sell his Triangle towers and is looking seiously at the PSB Synchrony one's. We audioned the paradigm Signature 6's and the Studio 100's using a 60watt Jolida tube amp and Rotel CDP. The Studio 100's have a nice clean sound with a slightly foward midrange and good bass. Treble was excellent with a hint of sibilance. Over all they had a neutral soundThe Signature 6's were a different animal. It has a warmer sound with more punch to the bass and a fuller midrange. I don't know that I would pay $5K for them. For that money I'd buy a pair of MG3.6's. How ever I did prefer the sound of the S6's over the Studio 100's.

I also auditioned the NHT Classic 2's for $500 and the Classic 3's for $640. I compared them to the Parddigm Atoms and and Mini Monitors. The NHT's sounded much better to my friend and I. The NHT's were much warmer and pleasant sounding. No fatigue at all. We were both very surprised at the deep mid bass that the NHT's produced. They sounded like speakers much larger. The main difference between the Classic 2 and Classic 3 was that the midrange sounded more fluid or relaxedin the Three's than the Twos because it has a midrange driver. Highs were crystal clear as well. We listened to Johnny Adams and Sam McClain Blues CD's as well as Dianna Krall and Shelby Lynn's new album.

The paradigms had a slighly more transparent sound but the music sounded weak and anemic compaired to the NHT's We were using an Intergra HT receiver and CDP.

I have to say that I prefer the NHT's over the B&W 686's and 685's because of the rich warm and big sound that both NHT models produced. They truly sounded like much larger speakers and had great punch and depth to the bass. Stereophile magazine and TAS call the NHT Classic Three's one of the best Sub $1k speakers. They retail for $800 but can usaully be found for $650 and the Two's for under $500.

I'm looking for some good bookshelf speakers for my bedroom and I'll probably go with the NHT's if I cant auditon the PSB Image 25's.
    Last edited by blackraven; 03-20-2008 at 05:42 AM.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I think I was in that store last August. They played the NHT Classic 3's and I was impressed. They used a Rotel pre-amp, power amp and cd player. Great sound and it looks like they are offering you a great price. I vote for the NHT's and I am a NHT SuperOne owner.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

I'm so jealous! All the shops like that around here have closed up and there is nowhere to go audition new equipment in person now. Walk into a shop around here and mention that you're looking for Rotel and Paradigm and they look at you like you're from another planet!

Thanks for the report

I like to keep in touch with the mid-price speaker market and you report is really helpful. The Paradigm Studio vs. Signature and NHT Classic 3 vs. Paradigm Monitor comparisions are very relevant to me.

I didn't appreciate that the Signature 8's were up there in price with the Magneplanar 3.6's. Maggies would be the no-brainer choice for me too, although Canadian prices might be relatively favorable to the Sig 8. if I had to move my stereo set up to a smaller room, I'd look very seriously at a pair of Signature 2's or 4's, (or PBS Synchrony -- or a DIY solution).

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    I just returned for a Mom and Pop stereo shop in Minneapolis called stereoland. The carry the full line of Paradigm, NHT, ML, Rotel, Marantz and some Anthem and Jolida products.

I was with my friend who wants to sell his Triangle towers and is looking seiously at the PSB Synchrony one's. We audioned the paradigm Signature 6's and the Studio 100's using a 60watt Jolida tube amp and Rotel CDP. The Studio 100's have a nice clean sound with a slightly foward midrange and good bass. Treble was excellent with a hint of sibilance. Over all they had a neutral soundThe Signature 6's were a different animal. It has a warmer sound with more punch to the bass and a fuller midrange. I don't know that I would pay $5K for them. For that money I'd buy a pair of MG3.6's. How ever I did prefer the sound of the S6's over the Studio 100's.

I also auditioned the NHT Classic 2's for $500 and the Classic 3's for $640. I compared them to the Parddigm Atoms and and Mini Monitors. The NHT's sounded much better to my friend and I. The NHT's were much warmer and pleasant sounding. No fatigue at all. We were both very surprised at the deep mid bass that the NHT's produced. They sounded like speakers much larger. The main difference between the Classic 2 and Classic 3 was that the midrange sounded more fluid or relaxedin the Three's than the Twos because it has a midrange driver. Highs were crystal clear as well. We listened to Johnny Adams and Sam McClain Blues CD's as well as Dianna Krall and Shelby Lynn's new album.

The paradigms had a slighly more transparent sound but the music sounded weak and anemic compaired to the NHT's We were using an Intergra HT receiver and CDP.

I have to say that I prefer the NHT's over the B&W 686's and 685's because of the rich warm and big sound that both NHT models produced. They truly sounded like much larger speakers and had great punch and depth to the bass. Stereophile magazine and TAS call the NHT Classic Three's one of the best Sub $1k speakers. They retail for $800 but can usaully be found for $650 and the Two's for under $500.

I'm looking for some good bookshelf speakers for my bedroom and I'll probably go with the NHT's if I cant auditon the PSB Image 25's.

To be honest the Paradigm Sig 6 and the 100's are two different classes of speakers. Just as the Monitor and the Atom series are not in the same class as the NHT classic series of speakers. Its a no brainer that the NHTs would have a better sound. If you want to do a more even test, you would have to compare the Classic series to the Paradigm studio 20 or 40 series.

frenchmon

I was trying to compare the NHT's with paradigms in the same price range. And I know the Sig 6's and Studio 100's are in different classes. We went there to compare the Sig 6's and the studio 100's for my friend to listen too so I figured I would give a review. We hear the Monitor 20's in another room and could not A-B them with the NHT's directly. The Monitor 20's still didnt have as good a sound as the NHT's. They sounded too bright for my tastes. They were very detailed though.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

I was trying to compare the NHT's with paradigms in the same price range. And I know the Sig 6's and Studio 100's are in different classes. We went there to compare the Sig 6's and the studio 100's for my friend to listen too so I figured I would give a review. We hear the Monitor 20's in another room and could not A-B them with the NHT's directly. The Monitor 20's still didnt have as good a sound as the NHT's. They sounded too bright for my tastes. They were very detailed though.
    I have been told and read in some professional reviews that paradigms are bright. I own Paradigms and like what others call "the brightness of the Paradigm tweeters." Its not one that wears me out. They are unbelievable speakers that don't color the music, but presents it the way it was meant to be...they don't "cheat" in my opinion. I suspect that a few other speakers either give to much brightness or not the correct highs that one would hear as if it was music in person. This may lead one to think Paradigms are bright.

Two months ago I sat and listened to Theil book shelves and I found them to be to laid back in the tweeters. It was as if it was a dark coloration of the tweeters that made the music sound un-natural to me. Thats not to say the Theils sounded bad..they had great detail and clarity. They where being driven by Cary amps. I then also listened to some Dali full range Mentor 6 speakers being driven by those same Cary amps, I found them, the Dali's to be overly colored in the tweeters, and more natural in the bottom end. I also found them to be lacking in the mids. This was a distortion of the true sound of natural live in person music. They had two tweeters, one traditional soft dome and one ribbon, and two bass/mid drivers. To my ears the brightness of the two different tweeters, which by the way covered to different frenquency ranges, out performed the rythm of the mid drivers, thus they colored and distorted the music of the natural sound of live music as if being in person if one was to close their eyes.

I also a week later had a chance to listen to the Classic Four speakers by NHT after listening to Revel Concerta M12's book shelves and Concerta F12 Full range speakers. The book shelves where unbelievable...they where being driven by a Marantz SR 7002 in direct mode. I had my own music with me. The Book shelvs where clear and very detailed and had better sounding mids than my Monitor 7 Paradigms...and the Revels where book shelves, only two drivers, one tweeter and one bass/mid. I would say the M12's sounded a bit more greater than my full range 7's.

I Next listened to both full range speakers...the NHT Classic Four's and the Revel F12's side by side through the Marantz PM 7001 integrated amp. While I hate the way the F12's look and the size and foot print of the F12 speaker, the sound was out standing...the much smaller NHT Classic Four's where out classed in sound and size even tho the NHT's where Marketed in a higher class.

I say all of that to say we all know that this is a subjective hobby and no one has what they think is a great speaker covered. We all have our own preference...thats what makes this hobby interesting and fun.

frenchmon

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    I have been told and read in some professional reviews that paradigms are bright. I own Paradigms and like what others call "the brightness of the Paradigm tweeters." Its not one that wears me out. They are unbelievable speakers that don't color the music, but presents it the way it was meant to be...they don't "cheat" in my opinion. I suspect that a few other speakers either give to much brightness or not the correct highs that one would hear as if it was music in person. This may lead one to think Paradigms are bright.

Two months ago I sat and listened to Theil book shelves and I found them to be to laid back in the tweeters. It was as if it was a dark coloration of the tweeters that made the music sound un-natural to me. Thats not to say the Theils sounded bad..they had great detail and clarity. They where being driven by Cary amps. I then also listened to some Dali full range Mentor 6 speakers being driven by those same Cary amps, I found them, the Dali's to be overly colored in the tweeters, and more natural in the bottom end. I also found them to be lacking in the mids. This was a distortion of the true sound of natural live in person music. They had two tweeters, one traditional soft dome and one ribbon, and two bass/mid drivers. To my ears the brightness of the two different tweeters, which by the way covered to different frenquency ranges, out performed the rythm of the mid drivers, thus they colored and distorted the music of the natural sound of live music as if being in person if one was to close their eyes.

I also a week later had a chance to listen to the Classic Four speakers by NHT after listening to Revel Concerta M12's book shelves and Concerta F12 Full range speakers. The book shelves where unbelievable...they where being driven by a Marantz SR 7002 in direct mode. I had my own music with me. The Book shelvs where clear and very detailed and had better sounding mids than my Monitor 7 Paradigms...and the Revels where book shelves, only two drivers, one tweeter and one bass/mid. I would say the M12's sounded a bit more greater than my full range 7's.

I Next listened to both full range speakers...the NHT Classic Four's and the Revel F12's side by side through the Marantz PM 7001 integrated amp. While I hate the way the F12's look and the size and foot print of the F12 speaker, the sound was out standing...the much smaller NHT Classic Four's where out classed in sound and size even tho the NHT's where Marketed in a higher class.

I say all of that to say we all know that this is a subjective hobby and no one has what they think is a great speaker covered. We all have our own preference...thats what makes this hobby interesting and fun.

frenchmon
    Yep... pretty much... audio products are aimed at different consumers... not everyone hears the same or likes the same thing... Many people actually like speakers that are generally classified as 'bright'.... What I find interesting is when people claim their speakers are 'neutral', based on the fact that they like the sound... IMHO, neutral is all about measured response, not subjective... so very few manufacturers (such as Revel) can claim neutrality... but being Neutral doesn't mean everyone will like them... I really like Revel (Neutral) but I love Monitor Audio (which tend to be regarded as bright)....

Glad you liked the Revels, there is a reason why the F12s are raved about by so many critics...

I'm not a fan of the NHT 4's. They have a nice sound but for $1400 there are better choices.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    I saw the Maggie MMG's were $550.00 a pair. I've heard a few different models of Maggies and thought they were good speakers for the money but didn't get what all the buzz was about. I got more excited over electrostats. I've never heard them in my home though. I know the MMG's don't play low but I've been kicking the idea around of trying a pair for a occasional something different. Being thin they shouldn't be too hard to stash when not in use. Think these might be fun with tubes or would this be a waste?

I only heard one pair of Revel, I'm not sure the model but it was a $10k pair. It's been several years around the time Revel began to become heard of. They were driven by Levinson gear. I thought they were a joke. The sound stage made me think I was in the last row and the tweeter was totally unnatural, leaned toward a sizzle more than music. Maybe these weren't completely broken in or they have improved but that audition gave me a bad impression of Revel.

I haven't heard Paradigm Sig's but have heard a few models of Studio. I also liked their highs. I could see how some one could come away with an impression of being bright but they weren't fatigueing. To me they just gave a lively sound. At all the live shows I've attended the cymbals are always easily heard. But, that may not be the way everyone wants to hear their music in the listening room though.

Neutral is also a speaker that is as at home with Mozart as it is with Metallica and you aren't going to find many to do that well. As I stated once before, I've heard about all Dynaudio has to offer and they are a line that do this effortlessly. Also, neutral is a speaker not having any colorations of their own to influence the signal fed. This is supposed to be the goal of speakers, I don't think anyone has ever reached it, but out of all the brands I've heard Dynaudio comes closest in my book.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I saw the Maggie MMG's were $550.00 a pair. I've heard a few different models of Maggies and thought they were good speakers for the money but didn't get what all the buzz was about. I got more excited over electrostats. I've never heard them in my home though. I know the MMG's don't play low but I've been kicking the idea around of trying a pair for a occasional something different. Being thin they shouldn't be too hard to stash when not in use. Think these might be fun with tubes or would this be a waste?
    We have essentially the same opinion on Electrostats versus Magnepan.... I really like Stats, but I can't figure out what the big deal is about Magnepan....

I only heard one pair of Revel, I'm not sure the model but it was a $10k pair. It's been several years around the time Revel began to become heard of. They were driven by Levinson gear. I thought they were a joke. The sound stage made me think I was in the last row and the tweeter was totally unnatural, leaned toward a sizzle more than music. Maybe these weren't completely broken in or they have improved but that audition gave me a bad impression of Revel.
    That is the beauty of this hobby... you hear a pair or Revels and are left unimpressed, but love Dynaudio and I have the exact opposite impression of both brands...

I haven't heard Paradigm Sig's but have heard a few models of Studio. I also liked their highs. I could see how some one could come away with an impression of being bright but they weren't fatigueing. To me they just gave a lively sound. At all the live shows I've attended the cymbals are always easily heard. But, that may not be the way everyone wants to hear their music in the listening room though.
    Yep, I find many 'bright' speakers to be lively but not fatiguing....

Neutral is also a speaker that is as at home with Mozart as it is with Metallica and you aren't going to find many to do that well. As I stated once before, I've heard about all Dynaudio has to offer and they are a line that do this effortlessly. Also, neutral is a speaker not having any colorations of their own to influence the signal fed. This is supposed to be the goal of speakers, I don't think anyone has ever reached it, but out of all the brands I've heard Dynaudio comes closest in my book.
    I can agree with the added definitions of neutrality... though I think measured performance still covers them... a speaker with a proper flat frequency response will be comfortable with all genres of music (though not necessarily the best for any particular genre)... I disagree on the Dynaudios though (based solely on the Focus line, I can't comment on the Audience or higher end lines)... I found the Focus line to be too laid back in the higher frequencies... good midrange, excellent bass (or slam as the dealer described Dynaudio's sound) but just lacking that sparkle in the highs to really get me into the music... Revel (Concerta & Performa lines) I found measured excellently on paper and sounded as neutral as they measured.... The only major problem I have with Revel is that they lack European aesthetics.... frankly, apart from the Ultima 2 line, they look bland at best and downright ugly to some people...

Forum Regular
    When I auditioned Paradigms a few years back I wasn't overly impressed. Somewhat bright but a bit flattened in soundstage. However, I don't think the dealer had them set up to their best advantage in the room. (On a side note, I've also read that Paradigm is not the most friendly outfit when it comes to warranty service. It seems you'll need divine intervention if you buy from out of town or your local dealer drops the line or goes belly-up.)

I'd agree with Mr. Peabody that Dynaudio makes excellent speakers. Very neutral over a wide range of music, with good detail and imaging. I would have probably ended up with those if I had not heard Spendors. For me the Spendors were just a bit more natural and effortless (though that will certainly mean they are not for some people who like a bit more edge and excitement to their sound.) However, I listen to a lot of acoustic material and most of the initially "impressive" speakers get very old, very fast for me.
    Last edited by mlsstl; 03-22-2008 at 05:32 AM.

Forum Regular
    Ajani wrote:
    ...but I can't figure out what the big deal is about Magnepan....
    I owned a pair of QR1.6 Magnepans for a few years. Absolutely loved them but large dipoles are very room dependent. The reason I sold them was we moved and the new room simply didn't work for them. In looking at some of the web sites where people have pictures of their systems displayed, I'd guess that probably less than 10%-20% of the rooms one sees would even be remotely suitable for a big set of planars. The wrong room messes horridly with the bass, screws up imaging and soundstage and gives a ragged response, so I'm not surprised when I hear people wonder what the fuss is about.

Suspended
    In my post, "about" is the operative word. I have very little experience with the Focus series. I also thought the newer Contour series seemed to be more tame or less aggressive than the former series. I believe the statements I made hold true with them, they just some how come off with a more refined sound. I think my all time favorite Dynaudio series was the older Confidence series. I wish our area had more to offer in speakers. It would be nice to be able to go in and see what an Energy or Monitor Audio sounded like.

It is good to know about NHT though for friends who might be looking for a budget speaker.

Forum Regular
    Energy Speakers shows Heil Sound in Fairview Heights IL as a dealer as well as the American TV stores in St. Louis. (Though I can't possibly imagine a good audition experience at American.) The one time I heard Energy speakers a few years back they were incredibly edgy (to give an idea, they made B&W look tame by comparison.)

Suspended
    I didn't know about Heil Sound, any idea what other lines they have? Energy and MA were just examples, I do wish there were more around. I guess that's difficult though in today's market.

Forum Regular
    Actually, I need to correct the comment about Heil Sound. Bob Heil is on the professional sound side (mostly microphones these days), so it is not a stereo store.

I'm not sure why Energy lists them as a dealer.

The thing about Magnepan speakers is, either you like the planar sound or you dont.
    They sound best with acoustic, classical, vocal and jazz music. They have a totally different sound compared to box speakers. They have a relatively small sweet spot and if your source material is poorly recorded it will sound like crap. You will quickly learn to hate poorly recorded music that sounded decent on traditional speakers. They inpart a live sound to the music with a huge sound stage. They also sound better when the volume is turned up.

I always laugh to myself when someone makes the comment-"I don't see the big deal about Magnepans". You can say that about any piece of stereo equipment and especially speakers. No one said that the Magnepan sound is the end all of Hi-Fi sound.
    And many people make comments based on hearing the MMG's, MG12's or even the 1.6's. Well these are their lower end speakers. Go listen to a pair of properly amped (300wpc) 3.6's and MG20's. And as far as the MMG's go, they pale in comparison to the 1.6's.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Ajani
    The thing about Magnepan speakers is, either you like the planar sound or you dont.
    They sound best with acoustic, classical, vocal and jazz music. They have a totally different sound compared to box speakers. They have a relatively small sweet spot and if your source material is poorly recorded it will sound like crap. You will quickly learn to hate poorly recorded music that sounded decent on traditional speakers. They inpart a live sound to the music with a huge sound stage. They also sound better when the volume is turned up.
    Since I don't play much if any of those genres, I'm not likely to see what the big deal is about Magnepan.

I always laugh to myself when someone makes the comment-"I don't see the big deal about Magnepans". You can say that about any piece of stereo equipment and especially speakers. No one said that the Magnepan sound is the end all of Hi-Fi sound.
    Actually there are people who swear the Magnepan is the end all (but that's another discusion)... the question I have for you is:

Does it bother you when someone says that they "don't get what the big deal is about Magnepans"?

I could care less whether people like my brands... this hobby is very subjective... so people will always have different preferences.... based on many things; including listening preferences... so Magnepans are no big deal to me since they fail to produce my type of music the way I like to hear it... that doesn't mean they aren't perfect for someone-else... and I always recommend people listen to them when they are auditioning speakers (despite the fact that I don't like them)...

And many people make comments based on hearing the MMG's, MG12's or even the 1.6's. Well these are their lower end speakers. Go listen to a pair of properly amped (300wpc) 3.6's and MG20's. And as far as the MMG's go, they pale in comparison to the 1.6's.
    Maybe. I can't comment on how much better the 3.6 or 20s are, since I only heard the MG12s, but from what I've read; most Magnepan owners get hooked by the cheaper models and drawn into buying "bigger and better maggies"... when I compared the MG12s, it was to products in the same $1k to $1.5K price range, so it was a fair comparison... I just found them lacking for my musical tastes... But I'd be a Fool not to recommend that a prospective buyer at least audition them, since he/she could well be the next Maggie fanatic...

They sound best with acoustic, classical, vocal and jazz music. They have a totally different sound compared to box speakers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    Since I don't play much if any of those genres, I'm not likely to see what the big deal is about Magnepan.

... when I compared the MG12s, it was to products in the same $1k to $1.5K price range, so it was a fair comparison... I just found them lacking for my musical tastes... But I'd be a Fool not to recommend that a prospective buyer at least audition them, since he/she could well be the next Maggie fanatic...
    Quite right, Ajani. Magneplanars aren't everyone's cup of tea, and for a variety of reasons. But in the end you would be doing a grave injustice to fail to suggest Magneplanars to prospective buyers who listen mostly to acoustic music.

I have never recommend Maggies to rock-heads or people with small listening; nor do I normally recommend them for HT.

It doesnt really bother me when someone makes that comment, its just that I find it funny how your really dont hear people making that comment about other speakers. And I 100% agree that the planar sound is not for every one.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    We have essentially the same opinion on Electrostats versus Magnepan.... I really like Stats, but I can't figure out what the big deal is about Magnepan....

That is the beauty of this hobby... you hear a pair or Revels and are left unimpressed, but love Dynaudio and I have the exact opposite impression of both brands...

Yep, I find many 'bright' speakers to be lively but not fatiguing....

I can agree with the added definitions of neutrality... though I think measured performance still covers them... a speaker with a proper flat frequency response will be comfortable with all genres of music (though not necessarily the best for any particular genre)... I disagree on the Dynaudios though (based solely on the Focus line, I can't comment on the Audience or higher end lines)... I found the Focus line to be too laid back in the higher frequencies... good midrange, excellent bass (or slam as the dealer described Dynaudio's sound) but just lacking that sparkle in the highs to really get me into the music... Revel (Concerta & Performa lines) I found measured excellently on paper and sounded as neutral as they measured.... The only major problem I have with Revel is that they lack European aesthetics.... frankly, apart from the Ultima 2 line, they look bland at best and downright ugly to some people...

I thought the Revels where USA made? But I do agree with you...I thought the sound of the Concertas and Performa's where outstanding in sound production. Maybe Mr.Peabody, whom I normally agree with in this hobby listened to a pair that was not broken in. And yes the Concerta lines are just down right plain looking and to some just butt ugly. But hey, the sound more than makes up for that...while listening they just disapear.

frenchmon
    Last edited by frenchmon; 03-22-2008 at 03:24 PM.

In my post, "about" is the operative word. I have very little experience with the Focus series. I also thought the newer Contour series seemed to be more tame or less aggressive than the former series. I believe the statements I made hold true with them, they just some how come off with a more refined sound. I think my all time favorite Dynaudio series was the older Confidence series. I wish our area had more to offer in speakers. It would be nice to be able to go in and see what an Energy or Monitor Audio sounded like.

It is good to know about NHT though for friends who might be looking for a budget speaker.
    While I have not heard Energy, I'm told they are like Paradigm. Its a made in Canada thing. Now I have heard Monitor audio...all but the new ones with the ribbon tweeters. The ones I did hear left me wondering what all the fuss was about. Every pair of Monitor audio's I heard where over the top in the bottom end. And I gave them several chances at differnt stores and they all where just to big in the bottom end for my taste.

frenchmon

Quote Originally Posted by mlsstl
    Energy Speakers shows Heil Sound in Fairview Heights IL as a dealer as well as the American TV stores in [St. Louis. (Though I can't possibly imagine a good audition experience at American.) The one time I heard Energy speakers a few years back they were incredibly edgy (to give an idea, they made B&W look tame by comparison.)
    Nice to see others from my home of St.Louis. I'l be moving back soon. I now live in Durham North Carolina. I saw the flooded rivers on CNN. I guess South St.Louis and Jefferson County is a mess.

frenchmon

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    [/color][/size]

I thought the Revels where USA made? But I do agree with you...I thought the sound of the Concertas and Performa's where outstanding in sound production. Maybe Mr.Peabody, whom I normally agree with in this hobby listened to a pair that was not broken in. And yes the Concerta lines are just down right plain looking and to some just butt ugly. But hey, the sound more than makes up for that...while listening they just disapear.

frenchmon
    They are made in the USA... that's why I wish they had a more European look.... they just lack style...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information