Forum Regular

Lightbulb Auditioned the B&W 703's

And I must say that I was disappointed by them. The salesman raved on and on about the "white papers" regarding technology and materials and bla bla bla. The speakers were not at all boxy. That's usually the deal breaker for me. No these speakers were much too hot on top. The treble was clean just too elevated or "flat" maybe. The midrange seemed to be pressed forward just a tad but had that in your face type sound that was fatiguing to me. If this speaker is a "flat" speaker then that's not my cup of tea. I mean honestly how many recordings are there out there that a well recorded?? Of my 500+ collction I'd say maybe 25 of them are really good. I just wanted to give my $0.02. If you're looking into buying them don't let the dealer confuse you with engineering nonsense. Listen to them extensively.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Actually, and this is where I have come to totally agree with Audio Note's essay on detail resolution, I have come to believe that most recording are actually quite good but that most speakers are ruining the high frequencies. The metal tweeters in particular are adding to the sonics and thus people love that detail when in reality it's a form of distortion that is fatiguing. But whatever makes the graph flat is what they care about.

I have not heard the 700 series. I like the CDM line for the money but no doubt the 700 series is more money - and then I'm not so sure I would pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    Actually, and this is where I have come to totally agree with Audio Note's essay on detail resolution, I have come to believe that most recording are actually quite good but that most speakers are ruining the high frequencies. The metal tweeters in particular are adding to the sonics and thus people love that detail when in reality it's a form of distortion
    After reading your sales brochure "RGA" for your "ANs" did they state the frequency that these distortions took place..

Thread Information