AR Newbie Registered Member

Wink Arcaydis - a revelation in mid price speakers

In looking for a pair of mid-price floorstanders (Circa £600 or $1000) I was at first disappointed by the B&W 603 (nasty tizz at the top end) and Monitor Audio S6 (sounded a little thin for my taste) models. Then I came across the Arcaydis AK3 - WOW!

Arcaydis are a small UK based manufacturer who hand make all their speakers to order, but get 5 star reviews in the Hi-Fi Mags. The AK3's immediately sounded just right - a flat frequency response, firm yet unobtrusive bass and total clarity throughout the frequency band. They put both the B&W and Monitor models to shame.

Anyone else come across these?

You could immediately tell that they had a perfectly flat freqency response just by a quick listen in a store? You must be the man. But sadly, a speaker with a purely flat response will sound like pure hell.

Nice attempt an an infomercial, though.

Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    You could immediately tell that they had a perfectly flat freqency response just by a quick listen in a store? You must be the man. But sadly, a speaker with a purely flat response will sound like pure hell.

Nice attempt an an infomercial, though.
    If you re-read my post you will see that I used neither the phrases "perfectly flat" nor "quick listen". I spent around an hour in the store, listened to a wide variety of music. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

"The AK3's immediately sounded just right - a flat frequency response,"

Did I fail to read that?

It just sounds like you work for the company or something, but to be honest the B&W 603 is not that great of a speaker in the first place so I do agree with you there.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TVRV8
    In looking for a pair of mid-price floorstanders (Circa £600 or $1000) I was at first disappointed by the B&W 603 (nasty tizz at the top end) and Monitor Audio S6 (sounded a little thin for my taste) models. Then I came across the Arcaydis AK3 - WOW!

Arcaydis are a small UK based manufacturer who hand make all their speakers to order, but get 5 star reviews in the Hi-Fi Mags. The AK3's immediately sounded just right - a flat frequency response, firm yet unobtrusive bass and total clarity throughout the frequency band. They put both the B&W and Monitor models to shame.

Anyone else come across these?
    Nice to hear that you've found a speaker you like. There's a lot of 1k floorstanders out there to choose from. Many of the smaller companies never make it across the pond, so I doubt you'll find many people here in the US who have heard your speakers.

Is TVR still in business? I remember seeing a few of them back in the early 80's.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

"It just sounds like you work for the company or something, "

Nope. I'm an Aerospace Engineer. Had never heard of Arcaydis until a month ago, read a review, auditioned them, liked what I heard and posted here in a genuine attempt to find if anyone else had experience of them before parting with my cash.

Cool. Do they have a website?

Thread Information