Any opinions on Mission speakers?

I auditioned a pair of Mission m35 speakers. I really liked them as opposed to a pair of cheap LX2400's from JBL. I especially like the warm yet clear sound.

Any opinions? Do's or dont's? Mission-owners that can testify to their quality?

Thx!
    [

Quote Originally Posted by stereophonicfan
    I auditioned a pair of Mission m35 speakers. I really liked them as opposed to a pair of cheap LX2400's from JBL. I especially like the warm yet clear sound.

Any opinions? Do's or dont's? Mission-owners that can testify to their quality?

Thx!
    Mission has been around since the late '70's and made their mark with the 707 Freedom monitor; a speaker that gained cult-like status in it's day. They have a well earned reputation for providing very good bang for your buck, especially if you like the "British" sound. I have a pair of 780 Argonauts playing in my office as I type this and I've enjoyed them from the time I bought them in the late '80's. They are very well built and I've never had to make one repair which is amazing considering they've survived more moves than I care to remember.

As for their sound, I can say that when I went searching for new speakers to build my HT system, I brought the 780's along for comparison and they more than held their own against some fairly stiff competition. More than one clerk asked me why I would want to replace them in the first place. Alas, no matching center for a 15 year old speaker. Mine can be a bit aggressive in the upper registers if not matched properly to the right front end, but system synergy is important with any speaker. Consider me suitably biased, but I think you can't go wrong with Mission as long as you like their sound.

Hope this helps.

Thread Information