Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    AR Newbie Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    ...right. So just what ARE these components?! They make speakers vanish, and sweet spots out of entire rooms. I am dying to know.

While I agree with your general idea that the hi-fi industry isn't always what it's cracked up to be, you have made some tall claims without getting too specific.

I feel I have done EXACTLY what you say with my system. It's a series of synergy with a couple comprimises. The end result is much better than it should be, however, when I am listening to it, my chair does not levitate or glow a green aura.

This is a very complicated thing to explain my friend. Good sound reproduction requires a good overall system balance. Basically everything in the chain matters. The actual response of the speakers needs to match the amp and the cd etc, then we have room accoustics that can alter sounds. I honestly don't know how to begin explaining because its so hard, if I had a system to demonstrate and show you and let you listen I would but unfortunately I don't .

Componnet quality doesn't mean you will have good sound. You would put the best components ever in a system and the sound will not be good. Its more on the terms of what componnets are used and how they are put together as a whole. The system needs to be specifically designed so all components and everything work together as a whole.

Suposedly all frequencys from 20-20,000 hz have to be apoxiamately the same volume to get good reproduction. But in reality there is more involved.

We have a 3d world and with just 2 ears, we can determine height, width and depth of sound all around us. With a single speaker we apear to be limited to just 1 position. but you should read up on transaural sound. Its when the playback allows the sound to be heard from a different location than its actually played. Also read up on phantom imaging. Now I will say this right now. What they claim and what can be done with the right way of playback are different. Lets talk about the sweetspot

The sweetspot, lets call this a focus point, just like a camera, when things are in focus we can see it clearly. So people assume that volume is cause of this. That isn't true, I had a system where you could walk outside the 2 speakers and it still sounded like it was coming from between them. It didnt' matter where you listened from. The sound has to meet at some point. Now if I were to playback on a pair of speakers with the left/right balance put to the side, could you hear the sweetspot more to one side than the other. It apears that it does. How things quite often seem isn't allways the truth in the matter.

In orde to be able to hear this equally everywher we would need more balancing to the sound and cancelations. now with a good system, they playback the sound on the right speaker on the left and the left on the right speaker but its the way it's played back. Now instead of volume of sound think of time of sound. When they arrive at the same time or slightly different it puts the sound to one side more than the other. volume alters dispeartion position which slightly alters position. I find what i'm trying to say hard to put in words. ok I try and explain something differently.

Ok before I continue, im not going to try and explain everything but I will try and explain something that might make sense with a bit of luck.

Low hz and high hz, low we can't tell direction of sound but high is more pin point. Just picture a large circle and you try and divide it up by puting a small circle inside. it is biased. imagine that every sound is made up from different frequencys, they all have their own resonance frequency. We have high and low sounds. For example, get a large hoop and a small one, the small can only be a part of the area of the big. now imagine this as dividing up the circles and giving us a location of the sound. The high frequencies make the sound face the listner more, if they combine it can alter the waves. for different distances and directions we have a different frequency response to the ears. This does not alter the actual frequencys played only the travel frequencys. Those travel frequencys can re-create the original frequencys as an accoustical frequency. I sugest reading up on interferometry of waves. I haven't got much time and have to do other things but ill make it short.

Frequencys determine the direction of sound, volume can alter the arrival times in relation to other frequencys.

Everything in saying is , when you read up about anything, the aproach and design of the systems being used today are wrong. They claim about haas effect, crosstalk etc ruining the sound but if you think about it. Why not use them to our advantage using a different way of playback.

There are many names given to stereo, but originally stereo was binuaral. They are all almost the same. People think stereo and binaural are miles apart but the truth is there stereo reproducction is balanced out corectly so the sound interfers in crosstalk. Why try and stop the sound, why not use it as advantage in the way its playedback in the first place.

Here is a link to sound sound for you to get a simualr idea to how the system sounded, although you must listen to on headphones to be able to hear it cause your sytsem isnt' in the kind of balance and frequency relationship to make it sound right. ps the system sounded 1000 times better in direction and accuracy than headphones do, headphones are much more closed in sound where the speakesr were more open and it traveled around in 3d with much better peception. you might have heard it before but if not you might enjoy the 3d qualities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJwUVCXH-gM

My stereo records years ago when the system was set up had 3d sound like this on 2 speakers from any listening position. It wasnt' quite perfect but the best system I heard, the speaker design compensated so it was perfect. Notice how 2 speakers can add height to the sound, its the way the frequencys arrive and in a 3d world the interference changing the frequencys and arivals within the haas effect can be used as advantage to fool our senses.

I'm explaining like this cause I'll be here for hours trying to rack my brain on how to explain how it's done, I thought i'd give you a few clues.

Stereo can sound in 3d when its played again in the correct way.

ps equalization, people say play it flat but there is more to amplification and frequency response than we all believe. With the right parts its posible to re-balance the signals and get them good enough to hear the effect but very few systems are capable and most aren't balanceable because as you get one in balance it puts the other out, it isn't done in a linear relationship and is impositble to re balance.

Just think of a camera and it being in focus, the same aplys from speakers to our ears. In order to have a sweetspot everywhere, you need to make it sound the same everywhere, its played more than once on both speakers, so left on right right on left and read up interferometry. Its like 2 becomes as 1. particulary think of the frequency difference in time. Let me say if you can make all frequencys arive as the same but on a different level then you can get a linear flow of frequencvys. I hope you can undesratnd what i'm trying to say.

If I had a capable system and tuned it and showed you, you would be so gobsmacked, Its like each frequency arrival has more than 1 job. Like its part of 2 perspetives in the 3d world. A bit like the way its played is part low and part high frequency in relation and the other perspective covers that.

picture if we made a wave then interferd with another sound which altered the wave. If we corrected it playing another wave the same and fooled us believe that we are at the center but the distance has changed. its very hard to explain using words.

The effect using a 1 way speaker that is close togher, if you go to the right of the speakers its like the width and depth goes slightly biased to the left and if you go to the left of the speakers, the sound with go to the right, its like the whole perspective is twisting but allways facing us. if you walk away from teh speakers. the hight of the sound seems to get a bit lower. if we pick up the speakers above our heads, it seems to narrow into a thin line up high.

Believe me we don't determine direction on the first wave only but how they arrive as a whole together.

With the best speakesr I heard, they gave max height width and depth and sounded the same for all direction. Illusion of frequency arrival to make the sound apear (by illusion) that its above us. so its higher than the speaker level, depends on how it was recorded but its from our minds. The perspective is perfect, you can walk away to the sides and it doesnt twist.

What I should say is people don't truely understand how we hear sound, not the truth.

I promise everyone who reads this, that its possible to have almost perfect sound. I say almost, although it sounded perfect to me. It will allways be criticised that it isn't perfect. some people talk of microscopic levels that we can't even tell difference. people claim that dvd is better than cd, in theory yes but in practical, not a chance.

I'll prove it, count to 44,100 in seconds and time how long it takes. it does that every second. its so fine the sample rate. When you listen to a hd cd player and think it sounds better, its not the rates that make the difference even though they apear to. its the way of playback. our ears can only hear 20,000 hz if they are really great in normal people. I used to be able to hear 20,000 hz but not sure about now ?. so it takes a position of a wave twice as many times as we can hear. Whatever the statistics, the truths are covered up by marketing.

Years ago, they did make a few systems that are truely capable of good reproduction that overcome the problems. but now they have removed the circuitry that solved the stereo problems to save money on costs of makeing. Its a buissness run world.

That is why they don't make what they truely can.

ps the frequencys played are the distances of the sound but we are told volume is and the truth is covered up. If you got a system like I had and hear it, its a million times better than you would believe. pin point. Its a very confusing thing when you read it but if only I had a system now to demonstrate and show you. I think your jaw would drop and you would want to listen to everything. I used to sit listening to the 3d sound for hours in amazment, it just had that sort of effect.

I one day want to have sound like I once had years ago. Money and finding something worth buying is the problem today. I heard a £20,000 system in a shop one day and it wasn't even close to how it should sound.

I promise that sound can be almost perfect with the right design, person having normal hearing permitting.

Thanks for reading, its too hard to explain but I hope you might understnad something. I tell you what get an equalizer and experiment with tuneing, listen to the pitch of the sound and try and make it sound alike, it might sound odd but move your head around your speakers, alter the volume, you might discover that with slight adjustments your find the sound is hear around the speakers at different angles or positions, but its all masked from hearing it how it should be.

I don't know why I bother telling people stuff like this but it hurts me because I once had a great system producing real stereo and now I have to put up with bull**** systems that don't even sound remotely how they should. The best system churned my stomach with excitement to the music where it was so expressive. I cannot express how poor the systems are today. people think it sounds alright but they've not heard nothing decent. Its like your playing on a zx spectrum whilst im on a pc playing crysis on high res monitor. that sort of difference in quality.

Quality is getting everything to arrive in the way it should at the right times at the right tones. Instead of getting a tone in the way your system is played, you end up getting 2 different sets of noise that doesnt corispond. Good luck if you want a system like this my friend. If I get something that works, ill let ya know which parts and how to set it so you can have sound which is shockingly amazing.

Thanks.

Aubio Maniac
    Good write up (technical stuff causes me head aches), but the idea of perfect speakers or set up seems not to be part of the surround sound genre. Otherwise why would so many people buy the tiny little satellite speakers, but good write up anyway.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    I don't get it. In your first post you kept telling us about how great your system sounds, and how we "won't believe it".

Now you are saying,

Good luck if you want a system like this my friend. If I get something that works, ill let ya know which parts and how to set it so you can have sound which is shockingly amazing.
    So which is it? Have you got the goods or not?

All I wanted to know was the names of the components you are using...

Suspended
    I guess "nice write up" is subjective although I personally couldn't make heads or tails out of what he was trying to say. And, because "tiny little" speakers for surround sound happen to be sold or offered doesn't mean every one uses them. Some buy them out of ignorance, some to save space and some are on a budget but I doubt they make up the majority of home theater sales.

Forum Regular
    Back to the original question, I heard a pair of mid-size Jamo towers (600 series, I think) this afternoon at a friend's house. I was not overly impressed; the bass was a bit on the heavy side (and position in the room didn't seem to be an issue) and I found nothing particularly engaging about the midrange.

In short, they struck me as a fairly mediocre speaker. While there are certainly a lot of variables that can affect things that I had no way to experiment with this afternoon, there was nothing about them that made me think I wanted to take a closer look at them in the future.

Forum Regular
    Parts Express has a ton of raw Jamo drivers on closeout.

Forum Regular
    Guys, don't even bother.

I currently own several Jamo speakers ( C603, C607, C803, C809 (also owned the C807 for a while). I know what they sound like and how they match up with/have synergy with different gear.

No one likes the same speakers and sound. Everyone has their own preferences and tastes in what they want from a speaker. Listen for yourself and let your ears decide.

Some people have heard Jamo speakers and have a valid opinion.

And some people just like to spout off bash anything that's not their precious B & W, Paradigms.....whatever...insert what every brand you choose.

The internet is infested with ignorant people who insist on bashing and margalizing, simply in favor of their current favorites. Or as often happensm in these forums, in favor of what they are selling.

It's always interesting when these people claim they "heard " a Jamo speaker model. But have no idea what the speaker model was...and/or.... have no idea or can't remember what components were used in the chain You know, the 'ole " some series model or other. Don't remember"

Same sh*t, different forum.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist
    Parts Express has a ton of raw Jamo drivers on closeout.
    Yes. But they are not any od the drivers you'll find in the C80, C60, or C400 Series Jamo speakers. In fact, I don't believe they are from any recent or current Jamo speakers.

Maybe leftovers from some of their much older, lower end models.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mlsstl
    Back to the original question, I heard a pair of mid-size Jamo towers (600 series, I think) this afternoon at a friend's house. I was not overly impressed; the bass was a bit on the heavy side (and position in the room didn't seem to be an issue) and I found nothing particularly engaging about the midrange.

In short, they struck me as a fairly mediocre speaker. While there are certainly a lot of variables that can affect things that I had no way to experiment with this afternoon, there was nothing about them that made me think I wanted to take a closer look at them in the future.

What series and model are they?

What source and amplifiaction were feeding them?

Suspended
    Remember the Jamo with the concrete baffle? I had considered a set of those ten or more years ago. I remember the copper color bullet shape petrusion coming out of the midrange. i can't remember the model but the store was using some Sony ES gear. I don't think it had the juice to drive the towers properly but the bookshelf version sounded very good. I thought the book shelf sounded better than the tower but the tower should have had better bass extension so I'm blaming the amp. I wanted to do a shoot out with some Dynaudio but the guy wouldn't let me audition the Jamo in my home.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Remember the Jamo with the concrete baffle? I had considered a set of those ten or more years ago. I remember the copper color bullet shape petrusion coming out of the midrange. i can't remember the model but the store was using some Sony ES gear. I don't think it had the juice to drive the towers properly but the bookshelf version sounded very good. I thought the book shelf sounded better than the tower but the tower should have had better bass extension so I'm blaming the amp. I wanted to do a shoot out with some Dynaudio but the guy wouldn't let me audition the Jamo in my home.

No, I never heard them. I just only discovered Jamo about two...two and a half years ago.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by NMyTree
    What series and model are they?

What source and amplifiaction were feeding them?
    Wish I could tell you, but my wife and I were at a friend's home for dinner. It had been a couple of years since we'd been at their house so audio was not the subject at the top of the list. It wasn't a formal audition and I make no apology for not taking notes for your benefit.

I've got more than a few years in this hobby, and as quite clearly noted in my first post, fully understand that there are any number of variables that could have affected my impression.

However, the original poster asked for "opinions" and that is precisely what I gave, including what I thought was a more than fair set of caveats.

I've got no doubt that lots of people love their Jamo speakers. In this particular case, I simply found nothing about the pair I heard that would draw me back for a closer look. I understand others' mileage may vary.
    Last edited by mlsstl; 06-29-2010 at 07:25 PM.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mlsstl
    Wish I could tell you, but my wife and I were at a friend's home for dinner. It had been a couple of years since we'd been at their house so audio was not the subject at the top of the list. It wasn't a formal audition and I make no apology for not taking notes for your benefit.

I've got more than a few years in this hobby, and as quite clearly noted in my first post, fully understand that there are any number of variables that could have affected my impression.

However, the original poster asked for "opinions" and that is precisely what I gave, including what I thought was a more than fair set of caveats.

I've got no doubt that lots of people love their Jamo speakers. In this particular case, I simply found nothing about the pair I heard that would draw me back for a closer look. I understand others' mileage may vary.

This I understand.

The problem is, that despite a few caveats you stil came off dismissive and judgemental of all Jamo speakers in general; based on one pair of unknown, unidentified Jamo speakers with unknown/unidentified components.

Sometimes, probably more often than not: it is better to refrain from adding two cents when those two cents are based on zero sense.

In other words.....

There's a reason I don't jump into threads about certain speakers and certain gear. Because I have little to zero experience with them.

And a brief, non-audio audition based encounter with some speaker; which I really didn't pay much attention to because audio gear wasn't the focus of the evening and get together; does not qualify as an educating experience and eventually an educated opinion.

So presenting an "opinion" based on that, is neither helpful or an accurate representation of the speakers brand in question.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Guys, don't even bother.

I currently own several Jamo speakers ( C603, C607, C803, C809 (also owned the C807 for a while). I know what they sound like and how they match up with/have synergy with different gear.
    No one likes the same speakers and sound. Everyone has their own preferences and tastes in what they want from a speaker. Listen for yourself and let your ears decide.
    Some people have heard Jamo speakers and have a valid opinion.
    And some people just like to spout off bash anything that's not their precious B & W, Paradigms.....whatever...insert what every brand you choose.
    The internet is infested with ignorant people who insist on bashing and margalizing, simply in favor of their current favorites. Or as often happensm in these forums, in favor of what they are selling.
    It's always interesting when these people claim they "heard " a Jamo speaker model. But have no idea what the speaker model was...and/or.... have no idea or can't remember what components were used in the chain You know, the 'ole " some series model or other. Don't remember"

Same sh*t, different forum

This I understand.

The problem is, that despite a few caveats you stil came off dismissive and judgemental of all Jamo speakers in general; based on one pair of unknown, unidentified Jamo speakers with unknown/unidentified components.

Sometimes, probably more often than not: it is better to refrain from adding two cents when those two cents are based on zero sense.

In other words.....

There's a reason I don't jump into threads about certain speakers and certain gear. Because I have little to zero experience with them.

And a brief, non-audio audition based encounter with some speaker; which I really didn't pay much attention to because audio gear wasn't the focus of the evening and get together; does not qualify as an educating experience and eventually an educated opinion.

So presenting an "opinion" based on that, is neither helpful or an accurate representation of the speakers brand in question..
    Wow.

The difference in tone between the first and second post is remarkable.

All opinions, even dissenting ones, are welcome here. Name-calling especially when used in a generalization about an entire forum is not necessary.
    Last edited by bobsticks; 06-30-2010 at 10:52 PM.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Forum Regular

Judgemental?

Et tu?

Seems you've got quite a talent for telling others how they should do things. As Bobsticks noted, it's a pity you don't follow your own recommendations. ;-)

I'll make another observation on this general subject. Some years back I tried counting the various makes & models of speakers on the market just to get an idea of the total number. I quit counting somewhere around 1,000.

No ordinary consumer can have any hope of giving every make and model a thorough audition and evaluation. Even professional reviewers with years of experience often find themselves with little more than a cursory exposure to many speakers on the audio market.

However, my experience over the last 40 years or so has been that my first impressions of a speaker in casual exposure situations are typically "in the ballpark" when I've had the opportunity for subsequent closer listens. Short of some defect or grievous error in the original setup, I don't ever recall the second or third exposure resulting in a dramatic shift of my opinion.

Second, most speaker manufacturers have a strong family resemblance in their products. This would generally be expected since it would reflect their underlying philosophy of what represents good sound. I'd have to scratch my head in puzzlement if there is a dramatic difference from one speaker in a line to another.

The net result is that every listener who is looking for a speaker makes snap judgements about a very high percentage of the speakers he hears. If a buyer has a dozen or more potential speakers at a couple of different stores, it is pretty typical that most of them will be dismissed from the competition early on and he'll end up seriously auditioning only a small number of those speakers in making his final decision.

As noted, I'm sure Jamo is a fine company and that lots of people love their products. We're back to my original comment - I just didn't hear anything that caught my interest when I heard them.

Now, NMyTree, if you've set yourself up as the official opinion moderator around these parts, please let me know so I can run a draft of my comments past you before posting in the future.

(PS - I wonder what your reaction would have been if I'd actually said something really bad about them instead of essentially just indicating a lack of interest in further pursuit....)
    Last edited by mlsstl; 07-01-2010 at 05:57 AM.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D. Paul Navigator
    Good write up (technical stuff causes me head aches), but the idea of perfect speakers or set up seems not to be part of the surround sound genre. Otherwise why would so many people buy the tiny little satellite speakers, but good write up anyway.
    Can I just point out that all sound is surround, Stereo is 3d sound be it cannot be heard because of the timings and interference, this is why adjustments need to be made to get it arriving equally in a perspective that audiable to us humans.

Singleway speakers can provide 3d sound and come away from the speaker but the sound is limited to it's soundstage (I mean it doesnt really go around the listen so well. 3 way speakers if set up corectly can provide a better soundstage which can actually increase the viewing area. So it can have more hight, width and depth.

With the speakres I heard its fully around the listener and identicle from any listening position. it keeps everything in shape.

The reason people don't relise this is because they don't have the right playback and the sound is masked and hidden and not presented good enough.

All sound is SURROUND, we hear it around us and we don't need satalite speakers or anything to hear it but we do need the right design speaker to give the full effect but even singleway speakers can provide totally amazing stereo (3d illusion if set up right).

In truth apart from tiny differences in recordings, The difference between stereo, surround or any other is how the sound is projected from the speakers to the listener, it doesnt' change the 3d perspective, only allows us as a human to percieve it from a particular location. You don't need 4 speakers to get surround.

Its all to do with the frequencys and arrival times, when playedback correct, 2 speakers will make the sound on a stereophonic record come out of the speakers torwards the listener. Not many relise the hidden truth, they all think its just left and right speaker, the truth in sound is masked by s*** playback. The hole in the middle when it sounds like left are right speaker only is because of the way the sound is not in corect balance. ideally the sound from 2 speakers can sound as 1 sound from the middle. I'm not going to say too much about it but its all possible and to listen to a stereo set up right is 20 times better than any surround cinema system. The way the sound appears to travel, its equivalent of watching a laser show, You need perfect quality to achieve these effects, go and read up as much as you can about the phatom image but don't get too sucked in by some peoples lack of knowledge. Some don't know how to re-balance the frequencys so they will never achieve the full illusion.

It's intersting stuff and I love it.

They haven't told the truths from day one, so everyone reads and follows their guidelines and will never know the truths. The information you may read will not tell the full truth, only guide you away from it.

The way to desribe REAL BALANCED STEREO, is to get in a room with a smoke machine and 2 torches, then cross the beams, you can move the beams towards the listener and to the sides, up and down. With the correct playback the projection to sound is amazing and not stupid poor quality satalite speakers or any extra speakers needed.

Now i'm going to tell you, they sell surround and hide the truth because they can make more money, you have to buy more speakers and even worse, the quality of surround can be really really terrible and still get an effect. With stereo it needs to be right, this is why stereo is so amazing because when you get the illusion and its right, the quality and expression of the sound is beyond words achieving the effects. with surround systems you pay more money, more speakers, more expensive. If I had my old system today and it was set, I'd love you demonstrate a few records to you guys. Once you heard, you'd never trust any magazine or sells person again. Unfortunately you have to take my word for it because the system has long gone

I sometime try and search for a modern equivalant but with no luck as of yet. Its tough because things are too expesive and they are not designed corectly. Some old equipment is more capable and can be balanced. Its just getting the right parts and old stuff may be worn out. So its hard to get real stereo today and the money costs they ask for is stupidly high for a top system and even then it don't mean its good.

Thanks for reading, hope i havent techiqualed your head lol.

I am a true MUSIC LOVER and believe me, once heard you won't want to hear anything else than real stereo.

You people wouldnt believe how poor quality shop sold stuff today actually is, they only care about money, I know this is hard to believe, ok some speakers are pritty good but you still need the source to power them corectly. I cannot express the difference other than giveing some extreme comparisons, then people think its exageration when it isn't.

Quality of sound is between us and the speakers by the way its played back. Its creating the illusion of more than 1 lot of sound to arrive sounding as if its one and giving a positivie location. if you can get the sound in focus from the speakers to the listner and send the corect persepctive, your enter another world of true stereo.

I tell you people the truth because true music lovers deserve the truth and should be able to enjoy their music to the maxium.

What i've heard will put goosebumps on your neck, churn your stomach with excitement. What you've heard will only make a noisey racket, sound nothing like it should and not give no expression to the soudn.

Sorry if I had rant but its all true and makes me sick because ive heard something special made to do the job and understand the lies about sound, they deceive everyone to make money, its not their fault, they are trying to survie with buissness but to me, its not good.

I tell you the truth, its possible on some old systems if you got patience to re-balance the frequencys correctly. Problem is getting matching parts to make it possible. I had a single unit that was designed very well and I could re-equalize the sound. I adjusted it, I used to have exceptional hearing, not sure about now but its knowing what to listen for. if you heard me setting up, you would think what the hell is he doing but once I finsihed, you would be gobsmacked. with good system its harder to move the slider minutely than it is to hear the change. its got to be very very close on every slider or the effect wont work, but its worth the titme to get it right, its priceless experience. once set, I could play any song and it sounded perfect. All that heard it said it sounded amazing, so it must have dam close to perfect as could get it.

Many people brought systems like mine in the past but none of them knew how to set them up or would have the patience. Nothing is perfect until its been tuned properly.

ps don't think you can get any system and tuen it because its impossible with most systems by design. This is what makes me angry and fed up. For example, you tune one of the sliders and it puts the other out of balance, and vica versa, you cant linearize the frequencys together in harmony, they both have different focus points and projection and are not equal.

thanks for reading. Good luck if you want to experiement, any good results then let us know what parts you used.

cheers

Suspended
    You know Benjy you need to provide some specifics and quit talking in riddles and mysteries. If some one had a hole in the center of their sound stage, OR, all in the center there is a serious problem. I don't know when the last time you listened to music was but this usually don't happen unless some one is listening to mono or a very old truly 2-channel LP. So drop some names for us, what brands of magic electronics and speakers did you use? When you speak of tuning frequencies the only way to do that is with some type of equalizer, so you are saying using an equalizer can enhance our sound stage? I sure have never heard that, maybe you care to explain. Some of what you say sounds a lot like the writing of Dr. Tomi-Kari but his set up used 4 speakers and a processor to properly align timing. Or, maybe you use Bose speakers that allows you to hear the same thing where ever you are in a room but forget a proper sound stage because there isn't one.

Stereo and surround, for the most part, have separate jobs. There's no way an airplane flying over head or bullets flying around the room can be adequately reproduced with only two speakers. Some sound effects in movies can go 360 degrees around the room, show me that with two speakers. 5 channel music although it's been around a long time is still in it's infancy as far as it's application, you want to talk about time and frequency alignment, the potential with multi speaker arrangements have untapped potential. Stereo is still more of a purists approach with no equalizer, no processing and most not even tone controls. When using digital processing such as surround you actually can manipulate the signal more like what you refer to.

I personally have both types of set ups because I still prefer stereo for music, however, I have heard some good 5 channel recordings that convinced me it could be done right if and when the industry decides to do so. With Blu ray this may happen as many music titles, with and without video, are being released.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by kiranafreen007
    The point of this post was to check what the audio-community thinks of Jamo.
    I find that Jamo indeed works with cheaper materials and does less R&D than lets say B&W. But they do manage to be cheaper and still provide a true hifi-experience. thanks
    Jamo did as much R&D as any company. They offered entry level which may have used cheaper material to meet a certain price but Jamo also offered multi thousand dollar safisticated complete surround sound set ups, including amps and processing. They also had higher end speakers. I can't remember what it was called but they had a fairly famous midrange driver, the one that looks like a bullet sticks through the center of it. Jamo at some point in recent years had been purchased by Klipsch and is now under their umbrella. What or where the line ends up now is yet to be seen. I don't know if what I see now are close outs or if Klipsch is using Jamo as extreme entry level but there are some very low priced 5 channel Jamo systems now available. My friend bought a package for like $250.00 which included two tower speakers, a center and two rears. They looked nice when we unpacked them and sounded decent. Decent, as in pretty impressive for $250.00. He used them with a Yamaha receiver. I haven't been back over but want to hear them after a bit of break in and now that he has the system balanced out. B&W is much larger and also gets into studio speakers.

Forum Regular
    Jamo still has a few " High End" speakers in their stable. all one has to do is checkm out their site and do a teeny, weeny amount of google searches to discover that.

Furthermore, their C60 and C80 speakers series models while not considered "High End"....certainly punch way above their price points and in several listening tests; have sounded better to my ears (and the ears of several of my friends. Compared to some "High End" speakers brands and models...three...four times the price, which get a lot of attention.

Minus the real wood venners, that is.

I've heard Jamo speaker...the latest was the Concert series and I hought they sounded very nice indeed.

Their top of the line speaker the R909 has won several awards and have a following as a great audiophile speaker. This speaker will cost you $7000.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Like Peabody said...they make speakers at every price point. They have been making speakers for a long time and have had several that where outstanding and just like all speaker companies...a few that didn't go well with the majority.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Sophisticated Red Neck manlystanley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stereophonicfan
    Does anybody own Jamo speakers?

Happy about your purchase? Which type did you purchase? Oriel, Concert, 7-series?
    Warmer sound or a colder sound? Dynamic enough?

How good are these speakers compared to other brands? How high-end are these speakers?

thanks!
    Hello SP,
    I have owned a pair of Jamo C809's for several months. These speakers are:

-- Warmer sounding.
    -- Great dynamics.
    -- Incredible bass.

The only down side that I've seen so far is that they don't have as much of an edge as the other speakers that I've tried. For example, a piccolo does not have that harsh sound, also, harmonica's (when played loud and high pitch) don't sound as harsh as they should. But everything else, I've very pleased with them.

BTW, I specifically bought the Jamo's knowing that they were warm and sounded a bit soft on the high end. My equipment and room is very bright, so I needed a warmer speaker to keep me from digging my fingernails into the furniture.

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Family Room: Denon avr-687, Denon CD player, Klipsch RB-5II

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information