• 07-06-2010, 10:21 AM
    Tarheel_
    any good finds on Craigslist?
    Just began to search through the local sites hoping to find a nice pair of floor standing speakers.

Has anyone found some hidden gems or super good deals on speakers and care to share their stories?
  • 07-06-2010, 02:21 PM
    thekid
    Tar -do you even read my threads?????........... :D

CL can be a very good source for some good gear at bargain prces. It varies from place to place because in some areas the people posting their gear know what it is and charge accordingly.

A quick recap of some of my finds

KLH 17 - $10
    KLH 5's and a Marantz 2245 via trade through CL
    Optimus 5's -$20 (included 4 speaker stands)
    EPI 100's -$20
    Marantz Imperial 5's -$20
    DCM Time Frame 600's -$30
    Klipsch Heresy II's -$100
    Pioneer DVL 909-Laserdisc/DVD player -$50
    Kenwood KA-8100 amp/KT-8300 tuner -$100

That is a quick list but there are more.
    It takes patience and dedication but it can be a very good way to put together some good systems at very low cost. Especially good for trying gear that the E-Bay prices make you reluctant to give a try.
  • 07-06-2010, 06:03 PM
    dakatabg
    Nice thread but I have so many good deals on craigslist that I don't even remember ha ha
  • 07-07-2010, 03:56 AM
    manlystanley
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarheel_
    Just began to search through the local sites hoping to find a nice pair of floor standing speakers.

Has anyone found some hidden gems or super good deals on speakers and care to share their stories?

****WARNING: GRAPHIC USE OF REDNECK TERMINOLOGY FOLLOWS. IF YOUR OFFENDED BY SUCH LANGUAGE DO NOT READ THE BELOW COMMENTARY********

Tarheel,
    In my experience, looking for good deals on CL is like feeding a diamond ring to one Pig in a large herd. Then, digging through all the poop looking for the ring. You'll find it, but it takes time, patience and a good knowledge of what your looking for.

*LOTS* of people are selling junk on CL, *SOME* people are selling good equipment at ridiculously high prices, while *VERY FEW* are selling really good stuff at great deals.

I've gotten lots of good deals on CL (although not as good as the The Kid). But, I'm pleased. Just be careful, do your research and make sure you don't buy that handful of pig poop (even if the guy says it smells divine).

Best Regards,
    Stan
  • 07-07-2010, 06:51 AM
    Tarheel_
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thekid
    Tar -do you even read my threads?????........... :D

CL can be a very good source for some good gear at bargain prces. It varies from place to place because in some areas the people posting their gear know what it is and charge accordingly.

A quick recap of some of my finds

KLH 17 - $10
    KLH 5's and a Marantz 2245 via trade through CL
    Optimus 5's -$20 (included 4 speaker stands)
    EPI 100's -$20
    Marantz Imperial 5's -$20
    DCM Time Frame 600's -$30
    Klipsch Heresy II's -$100
    Pioneer DVL 909-Laserdisc/DVD player -$50
    Kenwood KA-8100 amp/KT-8300 tuner -$100

That is a quick list but there are more.
    It takes patience and dedication but it can be a very good way to put together some good systems at very low cost. Especially good for trying gear that the E-Bay prices make you reluctant to give a try.

haha...certainly i've read your threads....you've inspired me to begin a quest for great vintage speakers that need some TLC.
    I just thought it would be cool to see a thread where folks can post their finds...kind of one place. Now that i think about it...your thread is doing that..duh!

I doubt you can be matched. I just want a pair of floorstanders....in dark wood which look unique and cool plus sound nice. May even get me into speaker repairs and such.
  • 08-02-2010, 04:19 PM
    cackalacky
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarheel_

There is a pair of Paradigm Reference Monitor 9 speakers on the Winston-Salem CR. 4-5 yrs. old. $275
  • 08-02-2010, 05:23 PM
    luvtolisten
    Just a few I picked up, (not the same league as the Kid or Dak however), still have them , fun to switch around:

EPI 100's- $20
    Genesis G1's -$30
    Realistic Optimus 5's-$20
    Realistic Nova 7's -$15
    Burhoe Light Blue's-$30
    Boston Acoustic A 60's -$25
    Boston Acoustic HD9's- $15
    Eastman Martin's- $30
    Wharfedale WD 60's- $30
    Klipsch KG 2's- $75
    Polk SDA 2's- $150
    Altec 877A's- $30