Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Affordable subwoofers for my Cakewalk MA-7A monitors

I was wondering what subs are the best for $200 or less. Will the Sony SA-W2500 or the Technical Pro MRS-10Sub be the best? Basicly my monitors has a sub-out RCA so I can connect any sub to it. Here are some pics of my speakers I have been using. You can see that they have a sub-out so I can have better low end for my music.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Affordable subwoofers for my Cakewalk MA-7A monitors-cakewalk-ma-7a-monitors-001.jpg   Affordable subwoofers for my Cakewalk MA-7A monitors-cakewalk-ma-7a-monitors-002.jpg   Affordable subwoofers for my Cakewalk MA-7A monitors-cakewalk-ma-7a-monitors-005.jpg   Affordable subwoofers for my Cakewalk MA-7A monitors-cakewalk-ma-7a-monitors-006.jpg   Affordable subwoofers for my Cakewalk MA-7A monitors-cakewalk-ma-7a-monitors-004.jpg  

Suspended
    I'm not sure what the price went down to but www.emotiva.com was blowing out their Ultra 10 which would be much better than what you are looking at.

Would the Sony SA-W3000 be any better since those go down to 20hz the SA-W2500 goes down to 28hz. I know that the Sony subs has the crossover adjuster so you can match them up with any speakers. I beleve the Technical Pro MRS-10Sub has it too since it said something about adjustable low pass filter.

That sub you showed me is around $300 so that's too much btw.

Here's a Sub that is a good budget sub-

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it.../energy-eswc10

It is better than the Sony you are looking at. The Sony will be muddy sounding compared to the Energy Sub. Don't be fooled by the frequency rating of 20Hz by the sony. Companies often lie about spec's
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Spanky,

I can appreciate the rather meticulous manner in which you analyze potential upgrades by spec but have you given any thought to how often you will actually be listening to any source material that will extend that low? I've never heard you mention an affinity for organ or symphonic pieces and even the most bass-heavy techno rarely approaches that depth.

I suspect you'll see the greatest overall improvement in sound by getting the best built sub that you can afford. Accordingly, I'm echoing the Energy suggestion or maybe a used Paradigm.

Good luck,

---sticks
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Forum Regular
    For the best sub for the money consider a sub kit from Parts Express.

Well I do listen to bass tester music so they will play very low bass. I have "It came from outerbass II" and "Bass Outlaws illegal bass". Others are just pop music and some techno. I do listen to Jazz and Alternative rock too. So maybe the Sonys that go low as 20hz will be better overall. But do you guys still think the Sonys aren't good? Have you guys actualy listened to the Sonys in person?

Or would the Dayton Audio SUB-80 8" HT Series 80 Watt Powered Subwoofer be better from Parts Express?

Or that $200 Energy sub will still be the best? Or cource the Dayton or Sony ones are more affordable though. But if the Energy is the best then I should save up for it.
    Last edited by Joe_Carr; 02-13-2011 at 05:37 PM.

The Energy will sound much better than the Sony. I've heard the Sony subs and they really bad. Don't get caught up in the 20hz spec. Many subs that cost $1000 have trouble playing that low. Nough said!!!
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

What about the Dayton Audio SUB-80? Are these any good for the price? They are the same price as the Sonys so these are really affordable. But if you guys still say that I better save for Energy then probley I should. Just that subs like the Dayton is alot more affordable.

I just noticed that the Energy sub is an open box item so doesn't that mean that if someone buys it then you won't be able to buy at that price? If so then maybe it's best to see if it's still there when I have $200. Or I could just buy the Dayton 8in sub or the 10in when I get enough money. But it will take a while.
    Last edited by Joe_Carr; 02-14-2011 at 12:13 AM.

Mutant from table 9
    What ever you do, don't buy the Dayton. I have too much respect for that company to unleash you upon them. You clearly have no intent of ever hanging on to any speaker longer than the seller's return policy allots. You will invariably return the Dayton, ending up costing that company money and wasting everyones' time. You claim to buy speakers, but you merely "rent" them when you return them because you had no intention on keeping them in the first place, which is an abuse of generous return policies such as Daytons.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Ok you actualy hurted my feelings that is not nice what you said. I need to know is Dayton subs good or not. I remember one of you guys said that for the price they are good long time agao. So probley I should get those and not the sonys. Btw I don't like people that is not nice to me and says bad things about me. I didn't come here to post and get answers about how bad I' am I come here and post and ask questions about each speakers, subs, receivers etc. I' am a audiophile that is in a budget so it's hard to find the right speakers that sounds the best that is in my budget. I just have to find the best ones that is affordable and I know soon I will find one but it takes time. I thought that if I get a sub then I can hear more fuller sound so I can hear more bass since small monitors lack bass even with MaxxBass since all that does is that it converts all of the low tones to higher tones that the speakers can play. I was thinking to get a real sub that I can also afford then my system will sound great.
    Last edited by Joe_Carr; 02-14-2011 at 08:41 AM.

Look if I had real money like over $1000 then I would buy something like the Focal monitors since then I know they will forsure sound great from lows to highs.

Anyways my point is that adding a sub will make a difference on my music so I just thought that's the best thing to do so I hear fuller sound.

Eatherway looks like the Sonys aren't good from what you guys say so maybe I have to get the Dayton. If I wanted to buy the 10in or 12in then I have to save up more for them.

Btw everyone please understand me better and try to help me and not say I' am bad and say don't buy this just because of me. When I need help on deciding that's when I ask you guys since you guys have listened to alot of speakers, receivers, sub, etc. Also you guys would know which is affordable and sound great. But if there is a speaker, sub, receiver I know I want forsure then I don't need to ask and post here.

Suspended
    Spanky, you do know you set yourself up for the kinds of responses that "hurt your feelings", right?

How about one of these?

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...stics-cssub10b

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...velodyne-vx-11

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it.../velodyne-sc-8

All 3 will beat the Sony you are considering. Try buying an item from a manufacturer that specializes in that area. Buy Speakers from a Speaker MFG, not a company with their greedy little hands in every electronic device known to man.

Velodyne makes Subwoofers and not a million and one other items like Sony, none of which are great besides their TVs.

http://www.velodyne.com/

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Holy, holy, holy...boogada boogada boogada...Satan get behind me...

...g***** boy, stop looking for reasons to be offended and read what's beingh offered you. Read it for comprehension.

Anything you get right now will be an upgrade and a starting point. However, the most important characteristic will be clarity and coherence. The Energy is a great option and convenient as well. Dayton provides excellent products but require assembly which would, no doubt, lead to the kind of chaos that few have the constitution of the Soul to withstand.

So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Suspended
    Spanky, if you do a search here for all your posts, under all the different screen names you have used, you will realize that you have claimed to change speakers as often as your undies. How can you expect everyone to take you seriously when you are far from serious. You get all kinds of good tips and pointers, but never seem to listen or take them seriously.

Do you just post to see your screen name and avatar on the internet?

Ah!

Just going to tap myself in here..
    I haven't heard to many Sony subwoofers, but like I saw wrote before anywhere is a start. Plus then you can start to compare. I had a Sony sub once that was kicking, but what an odd find.

The Energy idea sounds like a great one, but I haven't actually had any experience with them. I have a blown Dayton sub I'll be fixing and fitting into an old DA(Designer Acoustics) PS-SW enclosure. This will be a passive DVC woofer powered externally by an amplifier. Point being I haven't gone there yet either.

I'm wanting a sub for my set-up too. What I have sucks!

Don't let a bunch of over weight comic book sales guys hurt your feelings. I feel good knowing my head will still be attached to my body when I crawl into the noose.

Sony does make great TVs and computers true but I guess they are not good on speakers or subs I assume since most of you guys say Sony subs not good. But anyways those 3 are the best for the price range I' am in right? Well I guess I do like Sony headphones too.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Carr
    Sony does make great TVs and computers true but I guess they are not good on speakers or subs I assume since most of you guys say Sony subs not good. But anyways those 3 are the best for the price range I' am in right? Well I guess I do like Sony headphones too.
    All I did was google subwoofers under $200 and those were 3 good hits from reputable manufactures.

Again, don't just go by specs. Just because it goes low, does it go low cleanly and still articulate the bass notes properly or just rattle the windows?

Just look around for something used. Consider buying two with the intention of keeping only one or trading out for something different. I've owned several subwoofers with the intention of buying or building that one great one.

Just go shopping with your ears for something that works. Get a good deal, respect it, and sell it later down the road when you find something better.

Btw on my first post pic 005 is the one that shows all of the connections that I can use for these monitors. You will see the sub-out RCA female plug so I can connect any sub to it.

The MaxxBass feature does work but just it seems like it brings all of the low tones that the speakers can't play to low tones that the speakers can play so it's not really playing real bass.

This is what it says about MaxxBass

"When you need to seriously pump up your lows, choose MaxxBass®, the bass enhancement technology used on more hit records and major motion pictures than any other. MaxxBass® uses psycho-acoustics to calculate precise harmonics that are related to the fundamental tones of sound. When these harmonics are combined, it creates the effect of lower, deeper frequencies. For bass you can really feel, it’s got to be MaxxBass®."

But it is nice since this way I can hear all of the frequency played. But of cource a real subwoofer will make real lows so that's why I was looking for one that is affordable. But I guess I have to listen to them but not alot of dealers sell the ones you showed me. Like the Sony ones Best Buy has them as a demo so I can listen to them but the Dayton or the other ones aren't at local stores. I remember listening to the Sony SA-W2500 and they did have good bass but you guys say that they are not good so I guess I will have to try a different sub from the net like the ones you said. But are the Dayton ones bad like the Sony ones? just wondering

Basicly there are 3 line inputs so I can connect 3 source to the monitors and plus it has a bass and treble control so I can adjust how I want my monitors to sound also as you know the bass enhancer which is the MaxxBass from waves. I do like that my monitors blend with my home since alot of stuff at my house has woodgrain color.

Just wondering but are there subwoofers that has a woodgrain color and that is affordable? If so that would match with my monitors well and my home.

I added a pic of the natural woodgrain color on the sides of my monitors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Affordable subwoofers for my Cakewalk MA-7A monitors-cakewalk-ma-7a-monitors-007.jpg  

Well if there isn't a woodgrain colored ones then I just have to get the black ones. Just wondering if there was a wooden colored subwoofers. But anyways I think I might just have to pick one and see how they sound to me.

Mutant from table 9
    Oh, did I offend you? Good. You cost serious consumers money. When you "buy" a product with no real intention of ever keeping it, but merely using it during the "return" period, it is the equivalent of shop lifting. Or at least the equivalent of buying a prom dress and returning it after the prom. Or, buying a specialized tool and returning it after you complete your project. You return and exchange items so frequently that it is past the point of proper "home demo." Where do you think those "open box" specials come from? They are returns. The money lost on your returns is built into the overhead and price of every product, which means everyones pays for your fickleness. Just like everyone else pays for the shoplifter. Of course we all use return policies, but within reason. Why would any merchant want your business when they just know they will have to process your return in 29 days anyway?

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

I' am just going to ignore SlumpBuster.

Anyways I found a Polk subwoofer that is affordable and also has a wooden color so it will match my monitors. Polk Audio PSW10

But eatherway I need to save up for this sub. But do you guys think that Polk subs are good? If not are the Daytons any good? You guys haven't really talked much about them. They make affordable ones too. I know Sony isn't good so I probley won't get those since you guys said they are muddy.

Well is the Dayton Audio SUB-80 better or the Sony SA-W2500 overall better? Both are $100 but just wanted to know which was better. I have heard of the Sonys but never heard of the Dayton subs. I just remember though that 3 or 4 years agao you guys said that the Dayton sub was good for the price.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information