Post 10 Sexiest Speakers

Manufacturers are happy making perfect speakers in perfectly square (and rectangular) shapes. However, there are plenty looking to go outside of that classic box/

Not in any particuler order;

Vivid Audio G1 Giya
    Vivid Audio says that the inspiration for this swirly speaker lies in the company’s African roots. This 176-pound speaker packs in a 4-way 5-driver system, a frequency range of 23Hz to 44kHz (-6 dB), and kicks out a whopping 800 watts. And $65,000 price tag.

Scaena Model 3.2
    The system includes two towers with 12 midrange drivers per side, which operate from 80 to 6,000Hz. Another nine ribbon tweeters on each side carry 6,000Hz to 26kHz. This is also coupled with two pairs of 18-inch subwoofers. Even though Scaena says this is an “entry-level” product, it costs about $54,000.

Sonance Kayak
    Boasting 60 watts of sound, this funky unit promises install options aplenty—which include suspending the speaker vertically or horizontally. Available by special order, this very special design comes in a variety of very special finishes. However, the basic, but shiny aluminum, starts at about $4,900.

Totem Wind Design
    This 3-way, 4-driver system blows away the competition combining an avant-garde design with great sound. Available in various veneer, satin and other finishes, Totem’s tower of power will run you about $13,000 per pair.

B&O BeoLab 11 Subwoofer
    The only dedicated subwoofer on this list. It’s also the only one that looks like something stolen out of the Alien prop closet. A built-in 200-watt ICEpower amplifier and two 6.5-inch drivers, starting around $2,000, the BeoLab 11 is available in a variety of colors.

KEF Muon
    Aside from this set’s good looks, these babies are limited—which makes a boatload of sense, since they retail for about $140,000 per pair. This four-way speaker uses KEF’s own Uni-Q driver array and throws in two additional rear bass drivers. The super-thick aluminum shell eliminates any vibrations.

Cabasse La Sphere
    Priced out at around $150,000. For that, you’ll get a 4-way speaker that doubles as a conversation starter, thanks to a honeycomb dome and the power to cover the range of 80Hz to 22kHz.

Salagar Symphony S210
    There’s something slightly off about Salagar’s Symphony S210 speakers—and that’s what makes them so neat. However, the inside is equally as pretty, packing two of Bang & Olufsen’s 200-watt ICEpower class D amplifiers into each cabinet. Expect to pay about $8,000 for a pair.

B&W Nautilus
    This 4-way tube-loaded loudspeaker system took five years to develop and it shows. Speaker features a frequency response of 40Hz – 20kHz (±1dB) and requires one stereo pre-amplifier and eight monobloc or four stereo power amplifiers per pair. That pair could cost you about $60K.

LimeLight Audio AL-1500
    This tableside buddy boasts a 6.5-inch woofer at the bottom and a 1-inch tweeter on top. Promising 150 watts of power. For $1,295, you can get a pair of these for dueling end tables. If you want to add your own shade, you can knock $50 off the price and get them without.

http://www.electronichouse.com/article/19_sexy_speakers

Chicago IL
    wow all of them are beautiful

Great post Smokster....

I have not had the privilege of seeing all of these up close and personal, but the pictures sure are intriguing.

The only speaker that I think is missing and I have seen in person and was completely unhinged was MBL's reference line Radialstrahlers. Seen here:

Thanks dakatabg and Skies

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    The only speaker that I think is missing and I have seen in person and was completely unhinged was MBL's reference line Radialstrahlers. Seen here:

That looks like a flux capacitor

I am guessing if budget is no issue, the artist side can get precedence over practical side.
    Last edited by Smokey; 08-21-2010 at 02:01 AM.

Forum Regular

Nice post...great pics...

While looking at all these very cool looking designs...I could not help but feel these speakers belong in the futuristic world of the movie, The 5th Element. Certainly these models belong in some audio museum...heck, I'd pay an admission ticket to look and listen to all these you have listed.

Forum Regular
    Forget looking at speakers. If you want sex appeal, run down this album and give it a listen: Ronnie Magri & His New Orleans Jazz Band's "Shim Sham Revue - Music of the New Orleans Burleque Shows"....

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    That looks like a flux capacitor

I am guessing if budget is no issue, the artist side can get precedence over practical side.
    First thanks for posting this thread! I'm sure we'll have a bunch of members chime in on what they think is best.

Believe it or not, the Radialstrahler speaker has nothing but engineering in it's form. The drivers are quite literally naked, and all the rest is just supports for them.

Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Thanks LeRoy and mlsstl for comments

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    Believe it or not, the Radialstrahler speaker has nothing but engineering in it's form. The drivers are quite literally naked, and all the rest is just supports for them.
    I google more information about this speaker from Germany and specifications are intriguing. Not withstanding its weight (3600 pounds), it be interesting to hear how they sound with 360 degree sound projection.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    I google more information about this speaker from Germany and specifications are intriguing. Not withstanding its weight (3600 pounds), it be interesting to hear how they sound with 360 degree sound projection.
    Have you ever seen their amps? Not only are they monsters, but they are gorgeous to behold! It's an insane experience if you ever get a chance to visit a show where they are on display, do so and take lots of pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    Have you ever seen their amps? Not only are they monsters, but they are gorgeous to behold!
    I guess the old saying is right that Germans like audio equipment like they favor their women....Bulky
    Last edited by Smokey; 08-21-2010 at 11:05 PM.

poppachubby and I heard/saw in real life that first one Smokey posted. I don't remember how everyone was reacting to the sound, though. I just remember them reacting to the perceived arrogance of the guy who brought them.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    This is my idea of a sexy speaker.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Your such a tease....

WTF is it?!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

My Favorite Sub

Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    Your such a tease....

WTF is it?!

Reference 3A L'integral.

http://www.reference3a.com/lintegale.htm
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Charm Thai™
    Sorry JM the 3A speakers look uninspiring and totally pedestrian to me lol. I think a finely crafted furniture like wood speaker that shows the true color and grain is sexy.

Quote Originally Posted by shodulik
    Sorry JM the 3A speakers look uninspiring and totally pedestrian to me lol. I think a finely crafted furniture like wood speaker that shows the true color and grain is sexy.

Sometimes I like alternate materials but I also like wood.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Is that what Pop's is on the trail of?
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

RGA
    Forum Regular
    I'll add one
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10 Sexiest Speakers-doublespeaker_lg.jpg  

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Mickey
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My favorite sub.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10 Sexiest Speakers-egg-home.jpg  
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

But this 21 incher is killer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10 Sexiest Speakers-21-incher.jpg  
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular

Thread Information