Thread: Adding a sub

Forum Regular

Adding a sub

I've got my Rega brio3 powering my B&W 601's and the sound is great. Really a world above my previous set-up but being bookshelves they've really lacking on the bass. I would like to add a sub which I will be building using a TANG BAND 6.5 woofer and dayton 100w amp. It'll be my first homemade speaker and I think it's an excellent starting point. Only problem I'm worried about is hooking it up. My current amp only has two speaker outputs and inputs for the various sources. What kind of loss in sound quality will I see if i run lines from the amp to the sub then the speakers from the amp? Or is there a more accoustically appealing way of doing this?

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by calegrant
    I've got my Rega brio3 powering my B&W 601's and the sound is great. Really a world above my previous set-up but being bookshelves they've really lacking on the bass. I would like to add a sub which I will be building using a TANG BAND 6.5 woofer and dayton 100w amp. It'll be my first homemade speaker and I think it's an excellent starting point. Only problem I'm worried about is hooking it up. My current amp only has two speaker outputs and inputs for the various sources. What kind of loss in sound quality will I see if i run lines from the amp to the sub then the speakers from the amp? Or is there a more accoustically appealing way of doing this?
    Not 100% sure, but what's the "tape output" on the back of that amp? Is it a pre-out? If it runs simultaneously with the input source (CD) for example, try running rca's from the tape out to the sub's plate amp.
    otherwise you can run some speaker wire parallel to the plate amps high level inputs.

the tape out is ment to run to the line in of the tape (cassette) recorder, basically seen it's somekind of a pre out, but i guess the inpendance is different...
    if it works, it can be a bit inpractical, but if it works, who cares??

Greetings,
    Basite.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

I thought the tape out was only a pass thru of the preamp...
    that is. the volume control of the preamp will not change the level in the tape out rca's...
    (don't want to be recording a tape and the recorded volume is constantly changing due to someone messing with the preamp's volume)

if I'm wrong, oh well
    HT: Anthem AVM 50 / PVA-7; Focal JM Lab 4x Chorus 716 S, CC 700 S, 2x Chorus 706S; 2x 12s - Homebuilt Sub
    2CH: B&K PT3 s2, Anthem PVA-2, VonSchweikert VR-1
    Computer: Denon AVR 2805, Old Tecnic & Optimus Speakers
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    2002 Single Cab, 3" cornfed lift, 34"LTB & 31" AT's
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

Suspended
    Just being curious, why did you decide on a 6.5" driver for your sub design? You currently have two 6.5" woofers in your 601s and they don't provide enough bass for you. Are you looking for lower bass, or just more output in the current range (the 601s are -6db @ 48Hz) You may be able to design in a few more Hz using a larger box, but why compromise overall range and output using what is essentially a midrange, or upper bass sized driver? Even Bose calls their 6.5" boxes "bass modules" not subwoofers because of their limited low-end range. I noticed from a google search, this driver is used essentially for car audio. Will this be a multi-purpose su---bass module?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock789
    I thought the tape out was only a pass thru of the preamp...
    that is. the volume control of the preamp will not change the level in the tape out rca's...
    (don't want to be recording a tape and the recorded volume is constantly changing due to someone messing with the preamp's volume)

if I'm wrong, oh well
    nope, you're right, forgot the volume thing,
    don't try the tape thing, it won't work, it will or: do nothing at all
    or blow you thru the nearest wall... please don't try...
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

if the preamp can handle the impdeance ... get an rca splitter?

I have done this in my hs & college days to run a single signal to several amps...

due to the lower impedance the preamp will see, distortation or signal clipping is a possibility...
    (I never noticed a problem with party speakers... hehe)

[edit] by rca splitter... the ones I am talking about are rca "y-connectors" from radioshack... [/edit]
    HT: Anthem AVM 50 / PVA-7; Focal JM Lab 4x Chorus 716 S, CC 700 S, 2x Chorus 706S; 2x 12s - Homebuilt Sub
    2CH: B&K PT3 s2, Anthem PVA-2, VonSchweikert VR-1
    Computer: Denon AVR 2805, Old Tecnic & Optimus Speakers
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    2002 Single Cab, 3" cornfed lift, 34"LTB & 31" AT's
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

Thread Information