AR Newbie Registered Member

Comparable Klipsch models... bookshelf or floor

Hi,
    I've been absorbing as much as I can on this site being the newbie that I am.
    Right now I am trying to pinpoint a front speaker purchase. Without much offered in retail stores here at school or at home, I cannot do a whole lot of listening.
    What I have checked out is the B&W 601 and 602s. I thought they sounded nice.
    However, to the question...
    The salesman really tried to steer me toward Klipsch. I like Klipsch and it's good for my ht and rock music applications, plus I think the sensitivity will match well with my relatively low output HK 225. I should note that it is my plan to pair whatever I buy with an SVS 16-46 sub this summer.
    I looked at the RF-15, which is the basic floor speaker in the reference line. I also checked out the RB-35, which is the largest bookshelf model. They are equal in price. He was saying that all things being equal the floor model would be better because it will blend better. I suppose this ultimately becomes a bookshelf vs. floor question. The trade off is between the single 8" woofer in a bookshelf and the dual 6 in the floor.
    I was hoping to get some thoughts on my line of thinking here. Am I correct in thinking the Klipsch would pair well with the lower wattage amp? Would a floor speaker work better in general than a bookshelf that can really handle itself?
    I am also puzzled why the guy would steer me away fro mthe B&W line.

Thanks for any sage bits you can throw my way!

Forum Regular

Talking

I'd buy the floor speakers ' dont know why salesman would push you towards klipsch over B+W, but i prefer them. Klipsch are bright foward speakers need very little power . They are the most sensitive speaker around. More than likely they will play twice as loud as the B+W with same power input. The klipsch will play clear all the way up with clean power, do not distort at loud volumes. Do yourself a favour run by best buy and try the SF-2 And SF-3 Klipsch senergy line. Compare them to the reference line, their pretty much the same speakers. (this makes all those people who payed more for RF so mad!!! ) The RF have a little better tweeter and different woofer material . The cabinets are the same except the RF is veneer and SF vinyl (cant hear that). The SF lines woofers are made from the same materials that the older KLF ledgends were made from and older models that they'll brag about, But put the SF line down for? The SF line seems to be a less frills RF. Decide for yourself. You have to like the sound. I like klipsch speakers sound, others are sickened by them. Some say their rock and roll speakers, and some say their high end Cerwin Vega! (wich arent that bad for the price).

Forum Regular

My two cents...

IMO, if you are going to pair this with a subwoofer, buy a nice set of bookshelf speakers and some decent stands. The main advantage to purchasing floorstanders is an increased bass frequency extension... not a problem when paired with an SVS sub!

Yes, Klipsch play louder, but let your ears decide. I prefer klipsch over B&W, but I don't like either enough to purchase them. Neither speaker company has anything glaringly wrong with them that would disqualify them from an audition. Both are good, but they are different.

Invest in some great bookshelf speakers... forget the floorstanders. A good set of bookshelf speakers will be as transparent as any floorstanders.

Later... T-Bone

Forum Regular
    I have a set of the b/w bookshelfs and some klipsch sorrounds hooked up off a multi room stereo amp but both speakers are in the same room. Its not really fair to compare the 602's against the little klipsch speakers but that sad I love my bw shelves. I'll have a sub here in a couple of weeks and I really don't think I would have gained anything had Ipurchased floors without spending more.
    Stands are pretty expensive though just make sure you take that into account. I;ve been lookng around and shipping has been getting out of hand for a lot of my local dealers which is jacking up the prive for me. I guess in short I love the bw sound but the klipsch I have herd do pull their weight and I definalty would pick the bookself if I was in your position

gl
    Ph

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Thanks for the tips! I had never heard the info on differentiating between the SF and RF line. I'll definitely make a trip to Best Buy in the upcoming week.

Thread Information