Forum Regular

7.1 Channel Preamp Or Receiver?

I am venturing into the world of 7.1 channel. what i would like to do is find eather a low cost but good receiver with 7.1 preouts and component video switching ( at least 2 channels) or find a cheap but good 7.1 processor. i don't want a wimpy rear channel like some of the cheap stuff has i want as much output from the rear and sides as the front. i am also an equalizer guy so thats another reason i was wanting to find a processor. this way i will use an a/v switcher. ill go from source to a/v switcher to eq to preamp to amp to speaker. anyone have any suggestions?

Suspended
    If you only need component video I may have what you need. I changed so now have my Primare 31.7 preamp processor for sale. It originally sold for $4k new. The sound and build quality is high end, on par, with Krell's Showcase or Arcam's in the same price. I've been listing it for sale at slightly more than 1/4 retail. If interested or have questions email me. It is a 7.1 processor and has 7.1 analog inputs. As well as a large assortment of other analog, video and digital inputs and outputs, including XLR. The video paths are wide bandwidth, high quality for high definition video. The preamp I have now has updated features but the 31.7 sounds better. Looking back I probably would have been better off sticking with component and keeping the 31.7 in place longer. I am the original owner and still have box, manual and two remotes.

If you are not wanting HDMI I'd say it's your market on used preamp processors. I can give you some other ideas depending on your budget. The Anthem AVM-20 or 30 are good. Arcam had a piece that sold new for $2.5k that would probably be cheap used. Some of the Rotel or Outlaw would be well under $1k used but wouldn't come close to the Anthem or Primare. If you didn't want separates some of the older top of line Denon should be selling cheap as well.

how much are you looking to spend?

i'll agree with peabody if you only want component you might as well go with a pre-amp, you should be able to get a really nice used for dirt cheap.

My vote goes to a 7.1 receiver. With the receiver you get all the processing 95% of the audio community would need, and you get 7 discrete amplifiers. I'm not saying you have to use the amplifiers, but just get one with pre-outs. And receivers can send just as much power to the rears as the fronts. The power output only decreases when multiple channels are being used simultaneously (happens rarely in most movies, when most of the power is being sent to the center channel. So a 90 watt X 7 channel receiver could have as much as 200 watts or more (it varies) available to a single channel at a time). It's just more cost effective to get a receiver. It's your money though.

Forum Regular
    i think ill use a reciever with preouts, unless i can score a processor on ebay cheap. the reason im in this debate is because if i want to use 4 front channel speakers i dont want them wired in series in the amp so that is were the preout comes in, with it i can run 2 mains off the receiver and 2 more with a nother amp from the preouts and i can turn it up or down with one knob. also if im listening to radio or cd i may want all speakers at full output so i may have to diy my own switcher for this, because i dont like listening to the radio or a cd in surround.

Thread Information