Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bigaugie
    Been reading through this thread and in a similar situation. Just got my first HDTV (Panasonic 54" G10). This goes into my living room and I'm not an audio/videophile by any means, nor can I afford to be. But I'm looking for a decent set-up and trying to keep the price down. I have a HK AVR247 and now am looking at speakers. Been seeing the Energy Take 5.1 Classic and that's a contender. I also found the JAMO 660 so does anyone know how it would stack up?

Feel free to offer other options as well.

Thanks for any help.
    Ah good, I was hoping I wasn't the only one learning stuff from this thread. Hope my questions have been relevant for ya. ooohhh those G10s are really new aren't they, are they part of Panasonics Neo Plasme range ? They'd be sweet. Couldn't find any of those JAMO's for sale in my area so its still the energy takes for me Have and other speakers you've looked at been worth me checking out ?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Grosser611
    Ah good, I was hoping I wasn't the only one learning stuff from this thread. Hope my questions have been relevant for ya. ooohhh those G10s are really new aren't they, are they part of Panasonics Neo Plasme range ? They'd be sweet. Couldn't find any of those JAMO's for sale in my area so its still the energy takes for me Have and other speakers you've looked at been worth me checking out ?
    Yes, the G10 is a nice TV, couldn't pass up the sales price last night. Just started looking into the speakers, the Energy Takes, JAMOs, My only concern with JAMO are that tower speakers + small kids + dog = possible disaster. I don't want wired satellite b/c the layout of the room may change and I don't want to mess around with the cabling. Hoping to find either a wireless set-up or floor speakers but need something with good bang for my buck.

Forum Regular
    Yes, the G10 is a nice TV, couldn't pass up the sales price last night. Just started looking into the speakers, the Energy Takes, JAMOs, My only concern with JAMO are that tower speakers + small kids + dog = possible disaster. I don't want wired satellite b/c the layout of the room may change and I don't want to mess around with the cabling. Hoping to find either a wireless set-up or floor speakers but need something with good bang for my buck.
    What size is the telly and what did it cost ? (You dont have to say if your not comfortable letting everyone know). Those tower speakers seem to be a pretty good deal for what they are but yeah you might want some way to secure them so a fixed object so they cant fall over if bumped. From what I've seen and researched while looking for speakers and headphones, you pay a very high premium to go wireless and once you do the sound quality still is yet to reach the standard or corded speakers and headphones, so while its still being developed I'd stay away from it.

Forum Regular
    What size is the telly and what did it cost ? (You dont have to say if your not comfortable letting everyone know). Those tower speakers seem to be a pretty good deal for what they are but yeah you might want some way to secure them so a fixed object so they cant fall over if bumped. From what I've seen and researched while looking for speakers and headphones, you pay a very high premium to go wireless and once you do the sound quality still is yet to reach the standard or corded speakers and headphones, so while its still being developed I'd stay away from it.
    It's the 54" Panasonic G10. Got it at Sears for $1260 on Sunday night during their friends and family sale. Was actually looking at the 50" but they only carry it online and the sale price on the 54" was only $80 more.

As for speakers I ended up going with Polk Audio. Newegg has the Monitor 40s on sale for $110/pair and the CS10 center speaker for $94. The promo code for the 40s expire on the 21st and tonight is the last night for the promo on the CS10. Shipping is free.

My only snag was the sub-woofer. Found the BIC F12 for $180 but it's back-ordered so need to wait for that one. If I can find a comparable sub for the price then I'll go with that so I'm still looking.

Forum Regular
    ooohhh nice, nice telly. Is the "neo plasma" and better than the old style Panasonic plasma or didn't you have a chance to view both ? WOW, $1260 thats crazy, I thought I was getting a good deal when I got my Panny Full HD 42" last year for $1999 Australian which is still $1863 US and thats only 42". That is an amazing price....kinda pisses me of considering i KNOW we'll never get a price like that in Aus ;(

Yeah unfortunately Newegg doesn't offer international shipping at this time, wow is Australia not big enough of a country to count !!! Amazon is just as fricken stupid, I dont see why they wouldn't want to open themselves to as big of a market as possible. Well good luck with the search Your lucky bacuse you've got so many good places to buy from. The Australian market is very limited as to where we can buy from and it gets on my nerves pretty bad.

Forum Regular
    Your lucky bacuse you've got so many good places to buy from. The Australian market is very limited as to where we can buy from and it gets on my nerves pretty bad.
    In the end you still win b/c you live in Australia.

I lived in Perth for a couple years. Would go back in a heartbeat.

Forum Regular
    In the end you still win b/c you live in Australia.

I lived in Perth for a couple years. Would go back in a heartbeat.
    Haha well yeah I guess I do win in that way
    Where you live now ?

Forum Regular
    Haha well yeah I guess I do win in that way
    Where you live now ?
    The frozen tundra we Americans call Minnesota.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Hey, my speakers are from Minnesota!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Forum Regular
    The frozen tundra we Americans call Minnesota.
    Haha it doesn't even snow in Australia (well barely at all) but it does get bloody hot as you may have experienced. I think 47 C is the highest I've experienced.

Hey bigaugie, I live here in Woodbury Mn. Where do you live?

Minnesota is a mecca for Audio companies.. Magnepan is 20 min. from me in White Bear Lake. Here's a list of other companies here-

Audio research in Plymouth
    Bel Canto in Minneapolis
    Van Alstine in Woodbury
    Anti-Cables in Woodbury
    Atma-sphere in St. Paul
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp