AR Newbie Registered Member

What would it take to get my speakers hooked up to my computer?

I'm new to the whole speaker thing, and I've done some research but still don't have an answer. What I want to do is hook up my 4 speakers and 2 ...tweeters(??? yes im that new) to my computer via 3.55mm audio port. What I gathered from Google is that I can just go out and buy a receiver, but I also found on Radioshack that there are 3.55mm male jacks to speaker wire connections, but there was an issue with the speakers not being able to be powered off of a normal computer audio card? I'm not entirely sure, I got very lost. The speakers aren't great, so I just want the CHEAPEST solution to getting these things hooked up to my computer. Thanks to all that help in advance.

EDIT: Maybe something like this tutorial, but instead having it use all the speakers?

Regular speakers (as opposed to powered speaker systems) require amplication. The receiver can provide that and the sound card cannot. So the thing you would need from Radio Shack is a wire that splits 3.5 mm stereo into RCA jacks. You run those to the inputs on a receiver and off you go.

Alright, thanks. But receivers seem to be several hundred dollars. Any cheap alternative?

You can get used receivers on Craigslist cheap. If you want something new, this AudioSource AMP100 would do it. It's like a receiver except it has no radio and it has only two sets of inputs. Receivers will have several sets of inputs.

http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AM.../dp/B00026BQJ6

So the absolute cheapest way out is about $100, alrighty. Thanks for helping me out!

It might not be the absolute cheapest, but it's good. Used equipment is usually the cheapest. You're quite welcome for the help.

Aubio Maniac
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthenticGinger
    Alright, thanks. But receivers seem to be several hundred dollars. Any cheap alternative?

Parts Express is selling a two channel amplifier made specifically for adding speakers to a computer, and includes connecting cords. You might need some speaker wire, but the amp is made by Dayton so search on Dayton amplifiers.

If your speakers aren't anything special, which I gather since $100 to power them seems steep to you, I would just buy some powered computer speakers. For $100 you could get something decent used. I run a logitech z2300 system at work, although not audiophile quality, they do rock out.

BTW, ignore that tutorial unless you want completely shltty sound with no volume.
    Last edited by Luvin Da Blues; 06-25-2010 at 04:46 PM.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Thread Information